• Register Today It's free!

How to repaint wiper arms?

bcgreen

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 V-8
My front and rear wiper arms are losing their paint and the aluminum is showing through. How do I go about repainting them? What paint should I use?
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it was me, i would do a quick sand on them and paint them with SEM Black Trim paint. Most paint supply stores will carry SEM products

probably just as cheap to replace

You really think replacing 3 arms and blades would be the same price as a can of paint?
Would the parts store carry the wiper arms for a 1997 Explorer?

Even a junkyard wants over 10$ an arm USED.

I took mine off, sanded them with (I dont remember what grit) sandpaper, until all the black was gone, because mine were all faded and flat, and had some black engine paint layin around, so I gave them a few good coats, and a few good coats of clear coat, and theyre all good, so far theyve held up all winter, and through about 15 carwashes :D

Make sure that you paint the undersides as well, as they're very visible to you form the inside, so the fading would be very evident if that sort of thing would bug you... :)

But yeah- sand and paint, nothing major. Give them a few good coats, as they get a lot of road grime/sand/stuff tossed at them. Being a '97, your B-pillar and D-pillar trim may be faded as well. Satin works good there, looking close to factory original. I did gloss on some arms once and redid them as semi since the shiny gloss looked weird next to the non-gloss of the cowl trim. You can also paint your cowl trim the same way to freshen up the whole rig... :thumbsup:

Just the same as any other paint job...

Prep, Prime, Paint.

probably good to sand them bare, use around a 220 grit paper. spray a coat of primer, and then either spray some SEM black trim paint or just a spray can of semi-gloss or satin (for a flatter look) rust-o-leum.

Pretty simple. If you've never painted anything before, just google up some instructions. The more careful you are, the better any paint job looks.

Bead blast --powder coat.

Step 1--stick em in an addressed to me priority flat rate box.

Step 2 carry on with life for a while

Step 3 open box and install

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Rustoleum - Best bang for your buck, made for metal. Trim Black is really a plastic paint, I find it fades off easily too.

I used 220 sandpaper followed y primer followed by 800 sandpaper follower by satin black (satin and flat look almost stock)

I had to paint my modified wiper arm and my rear arm so I wanted to match my brand new set of front arms I got from the dealer

I just sanded mine and sprayed them with the Duplicolor spray bed liner. Once dry i gave them a quick coat of Krylon clear UV protectant........all available at Wal-Mart.

This is the same way i painted my roof rack and cross members.......looks like new.

Oops- satin is what I was thinking of, not semi-gloss... The guys are right- the satin is what I used on the back of my truck (D pillars) and the rest of the black stuff outside...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Beautiful :thumbsup:

That is the way to do it. If I ever get a job again, I will send you a set from my Explorer and another set from the motorhome. :thumbsup:

Back