wiring diagram for transmission

minivtec

Reaction score
City, State
The other side of the pond
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 4l explorer
Hi guys

First things first a big hello to everyone and hope some one can help . I have a 1996 explorer 4l auto which has lost 4wd i have checked the wiring as far as i can and it appears the brown wire is not being activated i traced it back to a unit behind the stereo which has 3 other wires on it. not to sure what it is but i guess a relay. it has a black wire which is earth a blue wire which is 12v and a yellow which has nothing any ideas guys. Also any boby know where i can find a wiring diagram forthe trannsmission

Thanks Rob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rob, that box is the GEM (Generic Electronic Module), it controls the 4WD system.

I thought the gem was he large unit on the other side this is only a little box about 2 inches square and thanks for the quick replie

Hi guys

First things first a big hello to everyone and hope some one can help . I have a 1996 explorer 4l auto which has lost 4wd i have checked the wiring as far as i can and it appears the brown wire is not being activated i traced it back to a unit behind the stereo which has 3 other wires on it. not to sure what it is but i guess a relay. it has a black wire which is earth a blue wire which is 12v and a yellow which has nothing any ideas guys. Also any boby know where i can find a wiring diagram forthe trannsmission

Thanks Rob
Great source for information, especially wiring diagrams.
Auto - Online Repair Info
http://search.ebscohost.com/
ID: rrcc
PW: rebsco

Follow prompts down to Wiring Diagrams.

Thanks for the info bob that was a great help I have traced the fault back to the gem (sadly) my next question is as I only want the 4wd for rare occasions is it possible to put a swathed live to the brown wire to turn it on ( or has anybody tried this before ) many thanks rob

I think you want to search on "brown wire mods"... :)

Back