Wiring up the floor console and identifying Sync | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wiring up the floor console and identifying Sync

Detfruit

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 PIU
Hello everyone, I recently bought a 2014 PIU and have learned alot from this forum already. I've bought and installed a hitch, started a wrap, OBD cable on the way, and 3d printed the bins for the select shifter and traction dial.

I pulled and put in a floor console from a 2013 Limited which has a 110v outlet in the back, and the front media hub has both USB's and the RCA din. I'd like to replace that with a aux/usb input. I'd also like to wire in the 110v but I'm not sure if the inverter is located in the floor console or up in the dash? I've seen the kit for wiring in Aux for the PIU and am going to use forscan to activate the AUX and maybe mess around with other stuff as I learn, but what wires should I be looking for to connect the AUX and enable the USB's for charging as well as connecting the 110v inverter?

Last thing, how do I identify if/what version of sync I have? Im planning to post pics once I'm back home at the end of the week. I'm really looking forward to learning lots more from this forum and seeing others rides!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you referring to the software version or the sync type? If you have the 4" screen then I'm guessing it is Sync 1.

Peter

Are you referring to the software version or the sync type? If you have the 4" screen then I'm guessing it is Sync 1.

Peter
I do have the 4" screen version. I guess I'm trying to figure out if it was installed in my PIU or not like some other owners have said, and what wires I should be looking for to connect everything up

I believe the PIU like the retail Base models came with the 4" (sync 1) screens. On the retail units, I believe the inverter is under the dash but I don't recall if anyone installed one.
There are other PIU owners who have done some wiring and added the retail Explorer console.

Peter

The inverter is up under the passenger side of the dash and you would need to manually install it. Your vehicle won't have it or the wiring for it. Your other option is to install an aftermarket one and wire it into the outlets back there. I removed it from my console, cut a dummy plate from spare interior parts, and glued it in. For the radio you probably have the base model. You can remove the console plate and install a dummy plate off ebay or buy one with a audio jack and wire it into the radio. None of this is plug and play, all custom work.

The inverter is up under the passenger side of the dash and you would need to manually install it. Your vehicle won't have it or the wiring for it. Your other option is to install an aftermarket one and wire it into the outlets back there. I removed it from my console, cut a dummy plate from spare interior parts, and glued it in. For the radio you probably have the base model. You can remove the console plate and install a dummy plate off ebay or buy one with a audio jack and wire it into the radio. None of this is plug and play, all custom work.

Thanks, given me alot to put into motion. I've seen the flvpmods guy with his aux port, but 120$ for a line input seems pretty steep, but easy? Ive popped the center console off and it looks like I'll have to dig into it further. As for the inverter I'll follow your advice & figure out how to safely wire one up. Thanks

Now it's back to digging for videos and instructions!

I went a little different route with my 14 PIU. I installed a Bluetooth receiver into the line in inputs in the back of the radio and turned it on via Forscan.

I went a little different route with my 14 PIU. I installed a Bluetooth receiver into the line in inputs in the back of the radio and turned it on via Forscan.

Very interested in that, Im still trying to figure out which OBD scanner to get to start messing with Forscan. From looking at the back of my center console now all I have is just the single plug at the bottom. You willing to send a pic?

Very interested in that, Im still trying to figure out which OBD scanner to get to start messing with Forscan. From looking at the back of my center console now all I have is just the single plug at the bottom. You willing to send a pic?

Here is the scanner I use. Works perfect.

Your PIU center console wiring is completely different then the civilian console. Different wiring and connector. I took power off the police plugs and made a new harness for my civilian console. On the back of my civilian console I removed the rear hvac controls, cut up a spare interior part, and glued it onto the console from the backside. I can't post a pic on here but here is a link to it. IMAG1512 Eventually I want to put in two 12v power ports where the circles are at. Someday... When I get around to it.

The Bluetooth receiver is hidden behind the dash. Tapped into radio power wires and ran new wires/pins into the connector. Turned on via Forscan using this chart.

Here is the

The Bluetooth receiver is hidden behind the dash. Tapped into radio power wires and ran new wires/pins into the connector. Turned on via Forscan using this chart.

You are far more experienced than I with this wiring, but I see what you're saying. I'll have to source a oem or an aftermarket radio receiver and mess with the harness to get it to work, then activate it in Forscan. That's impressive, I appreciate the knowledge

You are far more experienced than I with this wiring, but I see what you're saying. I'll have to source a oem or an aftermarket radio receiver and mess with the harness to get it to work, then activate it in Forscan. That's impressive, I appreciate the knowledge

Several options...
1. Add a bluetooth receiver to your current radio. (It is one way only communication, can't do cell calls, only stream music)
2. Go aftermarket radio with install kit/adapters. Upgrading the stereo system in your 2011-2015 Ford Explorer
3. Tesla style radio. 12.1" Android 7.1 fast boot Navigation Radio for Ford Explorer 2011 - 2019
4. Someone on here has upgraded to the sync II factory radio. Involves new modules, new wiring, and programming. I think it can work but I don't know for certain.

Wow, I'm beside myself. I've done these swaps in older cars... I assumed this one was gonna be way harder. I dont care as much about keeping it stock, it was more connecting that aux on the floor, which now is a non issue. Ill do what you did and slap some cut plastic behind it to delete it. With a proper bezel and adaptors, it should be similar to any other head unit swap.

The bummer is you end up buying a new bezel which includes the AC controls to the tune of 300 plus radio head unit. Bare minimum is like 400 to do this. If you buy better head unit, you could be at 5-600

Back