• Register Today It's free!

Won't start.....Battery? FIXED!

SRoberts006

Reaction score
City, State
Kannapolis, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
I have a 1996 Explorer, 2wd, 4.0L Yesterday when I left work to go to lunch I heard a click and it wouldn't start. Then it fired up on the second attempt, and my radio had reset itself. For the rest of the day I didn't have any issues. Then this morning I went to the gas station before work to put a few bucks in, and when I get back in and try to start it, I hear the same click, then nothing. Absoutly nothing!

I keep a volt meter in the car, checked the battery and :thumbdwn:. So I call the shop close to my Dad's house and have it towed there. I've been trolling the forum here all day looking for solutions. I get off work, pick up the kids and head over there to work on it.

Break out the voltmeter again, and I've got 12.48v :) But still no start. So I messed around with the battery cables and got some juice (had the key in the car so I heard the chime), then it stopped again. So I put the voltmeter on the positive side of the battery and then the alternator and was only getting 2v. AH HA! Battery cable issue.

Got to looking closely and the terminal that connects to the negative battery post was corroded. Not at the post, but the wires themselves. So I unhooked that and took a wire brush to everything, put it all back, and it works. :D

So this weekend I need to figure out a way to clean those wires good (any suggestions on that?)

Just wanted to let everyone know so they don't forget to check where the wire and the terminal hook togeather. I've had to clean battery post before but never had that happen to me.

Hope this helps someone in the future.:salute:

You could cut the connector off the wire, but the corrosion may go too deep into the cable. No more expensive than the cables are, why not just replace both of them?

i suggest you replace the cables. there's corrosion inside that you can't see or clean.

That's what I'm thinking. How hard is it to replace those? I gues it can't be no harder than the spark plug wires were.

Back