Would like opinion on MTX amp (& component selection). | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Would like opinion on MTX amp (& component selection).

EO

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT
What does everyone think of the MTX Thunder4244 amp? I saw one in Circuit City today (no, won't buy it there!) and it looks like the amp I've been searching for. MTX seems to make good amps by everyone's opinions...

It's 45Wx4 @ 12.5VDC, & will feed 4 Infinity Reference 5x7's (60W RMS, 120W peak). Relatively inexpensive, too (~$200 online).

HU will be Kenwood MP8017 MP3 deck. Phase II will be to add amplified MTX Thunderform to get more bass than I have now (which is basically nothing).

Overall audio goal is to have fuller sound and some nice bass. I don't listen to music at real high volumes & need all the space in my X, which is why I think the Thunderform will be a good fit.

I'd appreciate any comments on:

1. MTX Thunder4244. Comparable amps?
2. Overall system.

This project has stalled for a while b/c I couldn't decide on a HU. Now I'm getting excited again. :) Thanks in advance for everyone's expertise.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would go with the 6304 instead. The 6304 has a adjustable crossover where the 4244 is set at 85 hertz .

that's sounds great. MTX amps are good amps. this setup sounds perfect for what you are looking for. the 6304 would be better. but if you dont want to spend more, the 4244 should be great.

But...the 6304 has less power (*sniff*) - 37.5W vs 45W. Or is that difference pretty much negligible?

you said that you dont listen to music really loud. also the power rating is under rated it says 37.5, but really it is much more. by getting the 6304 you have more control over your music. you can set the adjustable crossover at a frequency that you want. although 85HZ (the 4244's preset frequency) is probably where i would set it anyway.

maybe the 4244 would be better after all. it's cheaper and puts out more power. and the crossover is set at a good frequency. well, it's up to you. i guess i would choose the 4244.

wont matter, id personally go with the mtx 6304

Sounds like I'm in the ballpark with either amp.

yea it does

All MTX amps are under rated. GO with the 6304, the power differance will not be noticable. If you get it it will come with a certificate of what it really measured on the beanch before shipped. You will be surprised at how underrated they can be.

I've read that a lot on here about MTX amps. Sounds like power won't be an issue either way. I will check the 6304 out more closely (i.e. price).

Back