Would you guys recommend against buying an 04? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Would you guys recommend against buying an 04?

LMHmedchem said:
The RPMs on my truck are revving a bit high when I accelerate from a stop or low speed and I am working on that at the moment. This is not at all a major issue. I am getting ~14mpg around town and something ~20mpg on long trips. I have a few wiring issues as well, but these are minor and related to accessories.

LMHmedchem

Watch out for that revving issue. I was having the same problem and it's ended up being my torque converter. I just spent $2500 on a transmission rebuild today, the good news is my new one will be over-built and I hopefully won't have to replace it again.. :eek:

Watch out for that revving issue. I was having the same problem and it's ended up being my torque converter. I just spent $2500 on a transmission rebuild today, the good news is my new one will be over-built and I hopefully won't have to replace it again.. :eek:
I know there are some issues with my torque converter. It has sounded like a bag of marbles ever since I got it. My understanding was that other than the sound, it was not an issue. I haven't noticed anything else as far as trains issues go.

I didn't think of my revving issue being trans because it happens right after I replaced my spark plugs and ERG sensor. I am hoping it will go away when I do a bit more cleaning (MAS, throttle body, etc) and reset the PCM. If it doesn't, I guess I will have to start looking at the trans. I am not sure if the trans fluid has ever been changed out. Do you think that would help? I am at 140,000 so I guess it would be well overdue if it has never been changed. I have been reluctant to touch the trans since I have never had noticeable issues with it.

LMHmedchem

Back