wrap-around steel rollpan, with what tail lights? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

wrap-around steel rollpan, with what tail lights?

expo5.0

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Red Wing, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 xlt
i am going to go with a steel full wrap-around roll pan (replacing the bumper and the rear quarter pieces) sometime in the near future.

should i keep my tail lights as is?

french in cadillac ones (i think they might be too tall though because of the way our hatch sits)?

leave the tails as is and add an led to the pan?

or switch to the tails of another vehicle such as a navigator?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

personally I don't like the led in rollpans. I think someone said a while back it tries to look like a Corvette too much. I'd say go with some others ones. Yours are stock right?

here's mine now

Attachments

• 03rearsubs.jpg
    03rearsubs.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 1,210

I think they'd look good like that becaus they would kinda blend in with the roll pan. Do the Navigator tails fit Explorers?

absolutely not.

i'm just trying to decide what will look best and i will worry about body work later. however, if my tails as is are cool it will save me some $$$ and time to spend on something else.

So your truck isn't for sale anymore, Expo?

no- i thought about things and decided that the s351 i was looking at was maybe a little shady with 90,000 on it and that splat really wouldn't be that much fun to drive in the winter.

also, i decided that i had a real good base to do something no one else has ever done and i might as well do it. i'm going to be planning on getting it up to real show quality condition for next summer. so this stuff, more stereo stuff, custom paint, and who knows what else.

I say keep them and see how it turns out. You can always change them later if you decided to.

but i want to paint everything at the same time

I'm glad you're keeping it. I mean, you've already done so much work on it. The least you could do is keep it and enjoy it.

Regarding the Roll Pan, don't you want to do what Hartman did?

no i want steel and full wrap-around

as well as more custom everything- no point in not taking it further

also, i want to have a hidden hitch

Just go with a plain rollpan with maybe some backup lights.. Keep your rear tails because they'll tie everything together.

I'd rather see the truck stay a daily driver, and not plopped on a trailer every weekend.

Go all out, but keep it functional.

Originally posted by metalhed
Just go with a plain rollpan with maybe some backup lights.. Keep your rear tails because they'll tie everything together.

I agree and to add to it I say remove the rear wiper and maybe the door handle and lock

just to clarify- i'm not doing this for the shows, i'm doing this because i love to cruise and i love to work on my truck.

i'm never gonna meet me own requirements for a show quality truck with a 96 explorer (unless i take the body off the frame for a while) so it is really just for my own enjoyment.

i agree that the "stock custom" tails are pretty cool, i just want to have as many ideas out there as i can (and i don't have any good ones).

keep the tails you have now. i really cant think of any other tails that would look good on an X (shape wise). im also biased because i usually dont like tails in a roll pan. it just looks so much cleaner with nothing on it but a license plate.

Yeah well.... Your opinon doesn't matter.:p

Originally posted by james t
keep the tails you have now. i really cant think of any other tails that would look good on an X (shape wise).

Shape wise it doesn't fit but since you are into customizing, if you could custom fit a 3rd Gen X tail light, that would really be cool.

but if i did that no one other than other explore owners would notice.

navigator or caddy ones and everyone would notice.

doesn't anyone think a smooth pan with caddy lights in place of the stock ones would be cool?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by expo5.0
but if i did that no one other than other explore owners would notice.

And there's nothing wrong with that...;)

Think about it, do you really want to impress the Chevy Guys? Who cares what they think. :D

Back