Wrench light, TPS, trans problem fixed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wrench light, TPS, trans problem fixed

ronwc

Reaction score
City, State
Largo, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 XLT
I have had Explorers for the last 10 years or so - I had a 1994, a 2000, and 2004 and now a 2008. Just got he 2008 used about 4 weeks ago. Usually runs smooth and drives great, but every day or two the wrench light would come on, and the engine and trans would start acting up, running and shifting rough. I could turn engine off and restart, and it would usually clear up and be ok.

After looking into it I felt like the TPS sensor was acting up and bought a new one. While getting ready to change out the old TPS, I unplugged the wires going to it, and the wire covering (insulation) had become brittle and broken off wire. I taped up each wire about 8 inches, plugged back in and all has been perfect since. It's only been a few days, but I believe it is fixed, will correct this post if it comes back. Never did put on the new TPS.

I hate to think of the # of people that have changed out the TPS, throttle body or worse (trans), when it may just be this simple fix. I hope this helps somebody with similar problems.

Back