• Register Today It's free!

X Plan pricing

jeffvos

Reaction score
City, State
Northville, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Tuxedo Black Ex
My Grandfather passed away, so we lost the Z Plan pricing, and now only have X Plan as an option.

My question is, if I want to order a new 2016 Explorer, is there any negotiating room on the price I receive via X Plan, or is X Plan, really the best you can get, if they don't have a car I want on the lot you want?

Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just picked up a 16 explorer sport (they had exactly what I wanted on the lot) and my negotiated price was actually cheaper then the X-plan pricing I get through my company. X-plan pricing is not always the cheapest.

I use X plan because its a pretty good deal that requires very little work on my part for negotiating. We lease so every 2-3 years I build what I want on fords website and it tells me what I'll pay, email it to my dealer along with the X plan pin and he calls me when it's there. Could I have saved a few bucks? Probably. Did I waste a few Saturdays haggling with car salesmen? Nope.

Don't forget with any-Plan pricing, documentation fees are limited.

We used the x-plan when we bought our 16 and there was no negotiation. Everything that I ask for was refused.

Don't forget with any-Plan pricing, documentation fees are limited.

It depends on which state you live in. Ford Motor Co limits doc fees to $100 except in certain states where the state gov has limited what Ford can make the dealer do. In NC Ford has little control over the dealer and cannot limit their doc fees. If you call Ford customer service they might tell you if they can in you state.

The only time the x plan worked for me was way back when I bought my '01 Bullitt. I'd gotten a pin but, in the initial negotiations I did not use it as I was satisfied with the deal I'd gotten but then, after the deal was done, they called me and told me I'd have to give them another grand for my trade which I was under with anyway and this is after the deal was done.

When I went back in, it was on! I pulled out my pin for the X plan and ended up with a much better deal and they gave me 1500 bucks more for my trade. Dropped my payment by 70 bucks from the original.

Since that time, I've had no need for the x plan as I've been able to negotiate a better deal on my subsequent purchases including my Ex which using the x plan, would have increased the price by more the 3 grand. They do not negotiate when using the x plan. :salute:

Since that time, I've had no need for the x plan as I've been able to negotiate a better deal on my subsequent purchases including my Ex which using the x plan, would have increased the price by more the 3 grand. They do not negotiate when using the x plan. :salute:

How is that even possible? Xplan is about $100 over invoice and fees are limited to $225.00.

On a $50,000 vehicle, hold back is $1,500 which means they are selling a vehicle $1,600 over their true cost on xplan. Have no clue how you bought your EX at a $1,400 loss to the dealer...

The Ex was an easy deal because they were selling it for just under 38K which was about 3K less than invoice. Why? Probably because it had been sitting on their lot for almost a year. It was also a year end clearance deal. I think they didn't worry to much about what ever loss they may have suffered on the Ex because they eventually made up for it with my trade which was a '13 Mustang GT/CS with just over 2k miles on the clock of which I also got a good trade value for which I received about 8k for a down payment.

I followed the progress on my trade and they ended up selling it for 8K over trade in. They made good money back in my view. :salute:

Well that explains it lol... obviously not the norm when it comes to your average purchase but great deal on the Ex none the less but a big lose on your Trade in if they made $8k on it.

Just goes to show with trade ins, the only number to judge is the bottom line and it seems they made $5k on you based on what you are saying. Too much IMO but all that matters is if you are happy with your deal.

Perhaps I didn't explain it correctly. They gave me 27500 on the trade. I owed just over 18K on it. Even at that, you can expect to lose something in any trade but, I don't feel I lost that much. The sold it for just under 34K. I feel I got the best deal possible so any loss I might have suffered was minimal in my view. :salute:

When you have the X-Plan option, the best course is to see what your price is with it, do some research to see what the average price is that people are paying, & check the available incentives (and determine if they can be used with the X-Plan). You will probably find that the average price paid is less than X-Plan but that price may have been *with* incentives. Go in with a number that you think is fair. Do what you can to get to that number. If they aren't willing to budge to it & they are over the X-Plan price, then let them know you have the X-Plan & use it.

To answer one of OP's questions, X-Plan is supposed to be for dealer inventory on the lot only. I do not believe you can 'order' a new vehicle with X-Plan pricing.

That said, "Access" to the X-Plan is awesome in that it gives you a simple interface to search all dealership inventory with the full VIN Numbers and Window Stickers. Very useful in doing research.

To answer one of OP's questions, X-Plan is supposed to be for dealer inventory on the lot only. I do not believe you can 'order' a new vehicle with X-Plan pricing.

That said, "Access" to the X-Plan is awesome in that it gives you a simple interface to search all dealership inventory with the full VIN Numbers and Window Stickers. Very useful in doing research.

Yes you can order a vehicle on X-Plan. I special ordered (4) vehicles and my sport was transferred from another dealer in another state.

Yes you can order a vehicle on X-Plan. I special ordered (4) vehicles and my sport was transferred from another dealer in another state.

I wish I had known that. Next time, that's exactly what I will do :)

Back