general x

Hopeless addict
Reaction score
City, State
Red Deer, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Ford Explorer Sport
Ok heres the deal

I went off roading with a friend and we went in some water/mud all went well and i went to a gas station and shut it down when my friend went to get a slushy, started it up and went downtown and parked behind his house, shut it down, decided to move started it up and went along. I parked it and we started to mess with the wires for my sterio. I tryed starting it and it wouldnt start. The fuel pump would only pressurize the system here and there and the rpm gauge would sit at about 1000 for a few seconds before coming down. i got it to start once (somehow) and i shut it off to try starting it again. It wouldnt start and i had to get a tow home. We tryed boosting it but it just said my batt was dead on the gauge and the batt wouldnt take a charge and the engine would turn over

Help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you tried putting a hammer to the starter?

Can't say that I have. Should that help?

If its the starter going bad, then tapping on it may help to get it started. Also make sure to check the air filter.

Well what is weird was the battery. We boosted it and it wouldn't take a charge or turn over and all my electrical components wont work. The interior lights are just about dead but they work a small bit.

I would then check the ground wire!! I bet that that your problem.. They are known to corrode.

Cause enough resistance to keep it from going?

There are a few post on here with early 90's Xplorer with the same problem and that was the fix. Try to do a search and you will see.

Back