2002 XLT wont start: Help appreciated | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 XLT wont start: Help appreciated

RickM

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Explorer 4.6 XLT 4x4
Hi all,

Hope someone can help with my 2002 XLT not being able to start. This is the 4th Explorer I've had and I've never had this happen.

I Drove to work today with the wife and daughter because of snow.

Drop me off and they take off to friends to go sleigh riding.

Wife parks car at friend's house, goes inside, comes out and everyone piles into car.

Turn key and nothing. Pinging, windows, radio and lights work perfectly. Charge indicator shows normal level. No clicking when key is turned.

Started right up this morn...like usual.

Here's what I asked her to do and result:

Take out of Park and put back in. Nothing.
Jump to see if any difference. Nothing.
Close all doors and lock a try starting. Nothing
Check battery connections. Wiggle to see if loose. They're tight.

I'm thinking it could be that the cutoff for the alarm was somehow activated. This may be done via the key pad on the Driver door frame/pillar. Or perhaps a few taps to the solenoid...but I doubt my wife is able to locate.

Anyone know the codes or any other tests my wife can try?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just saw another post and the Fuel pump or relay were suggested.....I'll try to see if that'll help.
Other suggestions appreciated.

had that happen to me once i closed all the doors and hood everything. then locked the car using the key pad pressing 79 together. after that used the key pad to unlock all the doors got in and she fired up.

She doesn't have a spare key that doesn't have the PATS chip in it does she?

Tom, I'm not thinking so.

96eb, Tried you test with no "joy".

Had Ford Road Assistance pick it up and bring to dealer. I'll report back to board when it's figured out.

sorry man just a thought. let me know what they find.

Post in another forum talked about dealer that had installed a seperate cutoff switch to prevent theft and forgot to remove it after selling it.....

Back