Yeah yeah typical exhaust thread but I need answers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Yeah yeah typical exhaust thread but I need answers

ryanmagahis

Reaction score
City, State
Spring, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt
Ok so I've decided to get a new exhaust and I was think 2.5 pipes duel in and single out. Does anyone know if it would sound good with the pipe in frotnt of the rear wheel? Being so short and all.
If I was too do this all myself, how much would clamps, pipes, and the muffler run me all together. I would guess 160 or under? They have a 40 series at advanced auto parts for about 74 bucks.
Or should I just get a shop to do it for me.
But personally I just think it would be fun to do it on my own.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my guess is it could be a bit louder before the rear tire cause there is not as much bending in the pipe...you're price sounds about right and you should be good doing it yourself...i had a shop custom do mine and it came out to $250...i have it dumped just a little beyond the axle, so it doesnt stick out and get caught up on the trail

Yeah I just bought the muffler and two, 2.50 pipes (only one was needed so I'll be returning one) and now I just need a Y Pipe. I'll be ordering that soon.
What I just need to know is for the y pipe, if I can just clamp the the y pipe to the stock pipes or if I have to weld it. My stock pipes are 2.25 and the inlets on the y pipe are 2.25 also with a 2.5 outlet. I'll probably get it welded soon but not right now.
Please respond anyone.

my quick $.02, nothing will sound great IMO, because you have a ford 4.0. I think its making the best of what you can get, but I would say do it yourself. I always like to do everything myself, because if you fail, you only learn more for next time.

It's hard to think about how much I've learned by doing everything myself, it's been a lot. Good luck, and I hope you can get a good tone. Oh, and if you can get a really good sound, let me know..

my quick $.02, nothing will sound great IMO, because you have a ford 4.0. I think its making the best of what you can get, but I would say do it yourself. I always like to do everything myself, because if you fail, you only learn more for next time.

It's hard to think about how much I've learned by doing everything myself, it's been a lot. Good luck, and I hope you can get a good tone. Oh, and if you can get a really good sound, let me know..

apperantly charlie doesnt have modified exhaust on his expy cuz it does sound good...IMO...flowmaster..magnaflow...even cherrybomb improves sound. if u want it to sound like a mustang cobra than, yes, maybe we have the wrong engine but flows with 2.50 pipes before rear tire will sound good and i did mine myself (relativley easy) then had them wlded by a shop that charged me 30 bucks...good luck and enjoy

my imco sounded sick dumped right after the muffler...even for being a 4.0...id take it any day.

apperantly charlie doesnt have modified exhaust on his expy cuz it does sound good...IMO...flowmaster..magnaflow...even cherrybomb improves sound. if u want it to sound like a mustang cobra than, yes, maybe we have the wrong engine but flows with 2.50 pipes before rear tire will sound good and i did mine myself (relativley easy) then had them wlded by a shop that charged me 30 bucks...good luck and enjoy

If you've owned a 8 cyl. engine with exhaust, 4.0 with exhaust sounds crappy. It's all in the owner's tastes and such. Good to one could sound bad to another. Best would be to take sound clips and let users decide for themselves.

If you've owned a 8 cyl. engine with exhaust, 4.0 with exhaust sounds crappy. It's all in the owner's tastes and such. Good to one could sound bad to another. Best would be to take sound clips and let users decide for themselves.

i do own an 8 cyl mustang 5.0...again if u want the 6 banger to sound the same you would be waisting your time trying cuz it wont happen...but you can improve the sound of your 6 cyl and again...IMO....it sounds good..i get asked what engine i have in there cuz it sounds like a 6 banger on steroids...but AGAIN... its all personal preference...it wont sound like a honda accord with a 6"diameter exhaust tip tho it will still have the low rumble that every ford engine seems to achive although a little less intimidating then the mustang or lightning roar....

actually no...i believe it is the pro series...i probally will go with the extreme to make it a bit louder though...

Back