Yearly ball joint replacement from torsion twist | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Yearly ball joint replacement from torsion twist

hopsing-nh

Reaction score
City, State
Gorham, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer Sport Trac
Am I just the only one who is replacing ball joints yearly due to my torsion twist? I have a 2004 Sport Trac 4X4 and in 2009 I had the torsion twist/shackle combo done. I kept the stock rims and put Nokia Vativa 285/75 R 16 tires on. Yeah, I rub a bit on tight corners but every year I replace either uppper or lower ball joints and control arms. Its getting very tiring and I am now considering changing it back and going with either a body lift or suspension lift. I do not go off roading - just road miles being put on. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First question I gotta ask is how much TT did you have done? Any more than 2" and it'll chew up suspension and steering parts. Putting the front back to stock height and installing a 3" BL will clear the 285's. Any other suspension lift for the weak IFS setup will chew thru parts as well if not faster. The only true way to solve this issue is to do a Solid Axle Swap up front.

1) Keep the torsion twist to 1.5" to 2".
2) The ball joints will crap out whether you have done a TT or not.

^ they shouldn't go bad yearly though. Replaced the originals around 120,x.. and I've got 155,x.. now with the uppers only having ripped boots (that's what I get for buying the cheapest ones I could)
And I slam into a lot of curbs, speed bumps, ect. Although I only have about 1.5" of tt lift and I run 30x9.5x15 tires.

Hmmmm....Now I am starting to wonder how much my mechanic tweaked them. It was supposed to be 2" torsion and 2" shackles. But then again, living here in northern NH, the yearly potholes and frost heaves will drive any front end mad! Luckily the ball joints have a lifetime warranty so I just have to pay for labor. Thank you for all of the advice. I will consider the 3" body lift and going back to stock height on the front.

Go to Harbor Freight and get their Ball Joint Tool kit, their pretty easy to do and will save you tons of money.

You can just borrow it from auto zone

Nifty tool! As far as Auto Zone...I think the nearest one is about 2 hours away!

^ they shouldn't go bad yearly though. Replaced the originals around 120,x.. and I've got 155,x.. now with the uppers only having ripped boots (that's what I get for buying the cheapest ones I could)
And I slam into a lot of curbs, speed bumps, ect. Although I only have about 1.5" of tt lift and I run 30x9.5x15 tires.

When I had my '02 Ranger I had the ball joints replaced on the original 3/36 warranty before I did a TT on it. When I had my '05 Sport Trac I did a TT/shackle lift almost immediately after buying it and had the right side (only) ball joints replaced on the 3/36 warranty also. You'd think both sides of the truck would have the same number of miles. ;)

Just sayin'.

You'd think both sides of the truck would have the same number of miles. ;)

Just sayin'.

Look at roadways though, in the parts of the U.S. that have bad winters, most potholes are in the right hand lane, closer to the curb. Thats why in the winter if its a two lane road, I'll hangout in the left lane. Just a tip. :)

Back