Ball joint replacement

jmorg70

Reaction score
City, State
Allenspark, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 EB
Hello group.
I am looking to replace the lower ball joints on my 99 Explorer 4wd. I was searching the site and found several great how to's on the subject, especially one by Harry5150 where he replaced his on his 97. His was a 2wd though and did not have the CV joint in the way. Has anyone replaced the ball joints on a 4wd without removing the rotor, shocks, stabilizer bar.....? Is there enough clearance to lower the torsion bar and have the ball joint clear the spindle when the A arm is being jacked up? If anyone has attempted before please advise.
Thanks in advance.
Jeff Morgan

The best way is to jack up and support the main chassis so that the 'a' arms hang. You need to undo the drive shaft nut (200ft/lbs torque so loosen before jacking). Undo the calliper bolts and suspend out of the way. Undo the steering knuckle. It is best to take off the rotor as this reduces the weight. It is also best to disconnect the abs cable so that you don't break it. Undo the top and bottom ball joints from the hub. Remove the hub completely. Tie the drive shaft up out of the way and then you can change the lower ball joints. Hope that helps.

I think Howard means halfshaft nut, not driveshaft.

I was able to get the balljoint out without taking out the halfshaft, but there was not enough room for the press to push it in with the halfshaft in place.

Thanks guys. I just wanted to see if I could get away with not taking too much off. Would it be easier to remove the lower control arm or taking the halfshaft off?

Back