• Register Today It's free!

Yet another ABS question

Dalmus

Reaction score
City, State
Milwaukee, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 4.0L Flex; 190K Miles
A while ago, my ABS light started coming on intermittently and the system would activate seemingly randomly when breaking on dry pavement. Before I got around to having the computer scanned, I had an oil change done, and discovered the front left bearing was bad. After replacing the hub assembly, the ABS light went out and all was good for a few weeks.

Now, the light has come back on and after scanning the computer, "both" rear ABS sensors are bad (I know that its just one sensor). I don't have any false activations... I assume the system is completely disabled.

Easy enough (in theory) to replace the sensor, but which part to get seems to be a bit confusing. There are several sources that state the VSS could actually be bad, and that it could be throwing a false ABS code.

So, do I spend the $40+ on the ABS sensor or the $20+ on the VSS?

After doing some research, it seems that some people claim that it is all the same unit... but then why the price difference?

Thanks for a little direction!

You pulled codes for it the Rear do that first, not to bad to replace either.
It seems the 2nd most common failure is that Diff ABS sensor. The master cylinder switch is the more common failure but that would post a C1440 code.

You pulled codes for it the Rear do that first, not to bad to replace either.
It seems the 2nd most common failure is that Diff ABS sensor. The master cylinder switch is the more common failure but that would post a C1440 code.

Well, pulled the sensor and it was filthy. On a whim, I cleaned it off and stuck it back in... Two short trips later, the ABS light went out.

It actually took longer to get the spare tire out of the way than it took to pull the sensor, clean it, and put it back!

Back