You Can Tell I'm A Noob - 4.0 OHV Questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

You Can Tell I'm A Noob - 4.0 OHV Questions

MadScotsMan

Reaction score
City, State
Westford, Vermont
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Grand Vitara
As many of you may know, I bought Bronco638's '96XLT. I love this truck! But I would like to squeeze a little more out of the venerable, if slightly underpowered, OHV.

I am completely happy with the suspension/gears, etc. so I'm looking more at easy engine mods for we, the "mechanically challenged."

My initial plans for getting a tad more usable power out of the 4.0 include the following:

Jet Stage II Chip
Flowmaster Force II Catback w/50 Series Muffler
BBK 66mm Throttle Body

If there are any suggestions for further cost effective upgrades for us novice wrenchers, I would welcome them.

TIA MSM

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would reconsider any Jet product.

Good luck and welcome aboard ....

K&N intake, and hell if you ever get the chance or need to rebuild it, get a comp cams cam for it, and throw in some pistons from a 91-94 explorer for a 10:1 compression ratio. Other than that.. hmm... not much that can be done. JBA makes headers for it, you can find em at www.summitracing.com . And then.. hrm... I think the MAF is generous but a new TB would definatly be a good idea. If you ever get around to rebuilding it, check out my thread as theres some good parts listed. But yea short of rebuilding, intake, exhaust, chip, and maybe see about getting come head work done (port/polish, mayb ebigger valves or somehtin)

he has a KKM intake....but for more power...throttle cable mod, exaust, a chip(i hear bama chips are great),other then that there isnt to much short of rebuilding it.

The Noobie Has Questions...

Okay,

The consensus is Bama Chip instead of the Jet Chip.

The Flowmaster I have some experience with and they are bulletproof, so I am definitely decided there.

As far as the BBK 66mm TB, is bigger better in this case? Would I do better with a larger TB? What about a spacer? Would something like a MAC intake offer more response than the current KKM?

And now we enter the very depths of noobie-ism... :D

On a slightly different subject, I have two really dumb questions:
1) Both wiper washers do not work (the wipers do) and they on the same fuse?
2) Is it normal with the big tires/gears/lockers to get an odd "grumble" while rolling/accelerating? I hear it and feel it through the gas pedal.

Back