You might want to take a look under your truck. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

You might want to take a look under your truck.

scorpo8972

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Mississauga, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4
Hi, I had my O2 sensor come on briefly last year during winter and up till now never came back on. Now it's on and it's here to stay. Well today I had bought a new sensor and went to replace it when I notice a shiny metal on metal contact scarring on the mini front driveshaft close to transfer case and where the sensor was. Well i move the wire and notice that the wire was actually grinded down to the point it couldn't possibly work anymore. I noticed this was a stock sensor and also that the fact that the stupid liltle clip that prevents it front touching anything had opened (crappy roads and canadian winters and ford thought that would not open itself up?). This is the drivers side downstream otherwise known as Bank 2, sensor 2.

I recommend peaking under there and see if this is the case for any 4.6L V8 explorer owners from 2002-2005 model years.

If you can catch this early you might have a chance of saving it and saving $80.00 for a replacement.

A possible driveability sign is if you feel something is contacting (the drive shaft) as you drive underneath the floor while in 4wd fulltime.

And if you do find this and need replacement and notice it's an original ford sensor spray lots of liquid wrench or 5w40 as the sensor WILL be seized and is a PITA to get off.

No one ever said that "Built Ford Tough" was compared to anything of value....

No one ever said that "Built Ford Tough" was compared to anything of value....

Well I do love my "Built Ford Tough" . It's 12 years old(turned 12 on tuesday) And hasn't given me a headache. Though like every brand their is always something that will make as scratch are head and say "what were they thinking?" Anyway, I only want to inform other Explorer owners as if they aren't informed it means more money in mechanics pockets.

Back