Z Flash vs Speed Turtle vs Wicked Warnings | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Z Flash vs Speed Turtle vs Wicked Warnings

Brandtpf

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello all, and thanks for having me.

BLUF: I want “warning lights” on my 2017 XLT, but without modifying the vehicle in any way other than plug-n-play.

The only feasible option in this case is flashing the factory lights (high beam, turn, reverse, puddle and license plate lights have all been swapped to LED to both match the existing OEM LEDs and facilitate the aforementioned “flashing”).

I’ve researched options pretty throughly and have narrowed to three options:

1) Speed Turtle EFM 3.0 (Speed Turtle Engineering)
This option currently tops the list because it utilizes factory connections to the BCM, features crisper flash patterns, and affords more user customization overall.

2) Wicked Warnings Auto Flasher Module (Auto Flasher Module Factory Light Flasher | Wicked Warnings | Blog)
These modules offer the best flash patterns, far and away; however, they require splicing and a TON of wiring to sync multiple modules for each group of lights, run trigger wires, etc.

3) Z-Flash OBD (Ford)
This module is honestly underwhelming. The flash patterns look tacky/bargain-brand and the customization is non-existent. I think the OBD versions were the origin of this technology and it’s come a long way since.

It’s worth noting, however, that Z-Flash just released the “Z-Flash BCM”; it combines the crisp flash patterns of the Wicked Warnings modules with the plug-n-play functionality of the Speed Turtle. Aaaaaand you guessed it, not available for the Explorer (with no development even in sight, according to Z-Flash’s customer support).

Has anyone had any significant degree of success with any of these options/are there any better options that I’m not seeing? And going out on a limb, has anyone possibly attempted adapting a Z-Flash BCM for an Explorer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Please keep us updated on your plans/project. Thanks.

Peter

I've been searching too, without any luck so far. Looks like any of the OBD plug-in systems are designed for Explorer models prior to 2020

Back