Homemade/diy heat shield air intake (pics) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Homemade/diy heat shield air intake (pics)

shortstack

Reaction score
City, State
Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Eddie Bauer 4.0L
ok so i have heard alot of people talking about the how the maf adapter and the cone filter still "sucks" in hot air, personally i dont think it'll make much of a difference plus i live in alaska sooooo..... but anyways i decided to make a "heat shield kinda like how the K&N's are.

things you need

1 a version of the KKM (maf adapter and cone filter)

1 24" x 36" galvanized sheet metal (can get @ home depot in their ducting section) $8

1 Some rubber plubbing insulation self-adhesive (in plumbing section of home depot) $6
2akie5j.jpg

1 insulation sticky wrap w/ aluminum one one side $8
358qqug.jpg

I used a peice of cardboard to make a pre-template, then cut the sheet metal to the size, made sure it'll fit well. make sure to cut the hole for the pipe which connects to the cone filter.
Put the sticky insulation on both sides of the heat shield, to help keep out/in the cold and hot air.
2ykdqg9.jpg

spray painted it to the color i wanted which in this case was black. put the rubber insulation around the edges to help keep air out.

and here are my results
2j45a4z.jpg

vrrbdl.jpg

since i already had the maf adapter and the cone filter, this only cost me like $25

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

good job

Pretty dog gone cool I must say.
Good job.
You know what would be even better? If you could scan the cardboard template--or a trace of it for others to start from.

:thumbsup:

i don't really have the exact measurements but here are "basic ones"
1zf6es.jpg

it only took like 20 or 30 min to get good measurements.

i did not take temperature difference before or after which before it felt pretty cool compared to the rest of the engine compartment. but i will get the laser temperature reader and do the filter and before the maf on the piping.

you could probably just insulate one side and be just fine but i had exstra so why not :)

Not an external temperature reading, but the IAT ( via a scanner ).

Thank you...I'd been trying t come up with a cheap & easy heat shield...to match my cheap & easy ebay intake:p::thumbsup:

What did you use to connect the cone filter to the MAF sensor?

Looks great, I may try this out on mine.

Is it possible to make the adapter?

I modified one to fit mine but the Ebay one would be cheaper and easier IMO.

Now I just need to make the heat shield.

How did you connect the MAF sensor to the stock intake hose, since the sizes are different?

Nice Job!

Very easy to make an adapter, 4 bolts/nuts, few washers and a piece of 3" abs pipe used to adapt from one pipe to another, not sure the exact name.. but it has the flat base (also used silicone between the abs and mafs housing).
DSCF0815.jpg

Also pretty easy to make a new intake pipe too, the rubber clamps can shrink/expand quite a bit so you can go from 3" ABS to the throttle body..
DSCF0816.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You win the dirtiest engine bay award@! ;)

Back