2002 Ford F-250 Super Duty XL: DD/Tow Rig | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Ford F-250 Super Duty XL: DD/Tow Rig

The SD is the only vehicle I take in to get the oil changed. Its hard enough for me to find time to take the 5 qts of oil in to recycle from the Explorer. I don't want to have 5 gallons of used oil hanging out in the garage. :p:

Wait till you do the fuel filters too. On my 6.0L is two of them at about $100+ per change if I remember correctly.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah seriously, the oil just fills up my drain pan almost to the brim. Any more and it would spill over.

The van's fuel filter takes a lot more time and sweat to get to - remove the air box, serpentine belt, move the primary A/C compressor, and disconnect a large wiring connector.

The SD is the only vehicle I take in to get the oil changed. Its hard enough for me to find time to take the 5 qts of oil in to recycle from the Explorer. I don't want to have 5 gallons of used oil hanging out in the garage. :p:

Wait till you do the fuel filters too. On my 6.0L is two of them at about $100+ per change if I remember correctly.

Yeah im hoping that day will come many years away.

Yeah im hoping that day will come many years away.
Not sure about the 6.0 but I do mine (a 7.3 with a "fuel bowl" on top) about once a year, although the filter isn't as expensive as the 6.0s (I think its like $20 or $25). I think diesel fuel filter changes are more frequent than gasoline engines - so I'd check on the recommended schedule.

Ah never knew that ill have to look that up in the old haynes now

Its amazing how much crud is in diesel fuel. Not only will you notice the brown gunk trapped around the fuel filter, but you'll also feel a difference in throttle response. The first time I changed the filter on my current van, the improvement in acceleration was like night and day (and the filter was really dark).

Whats wrong with 5 gallon containers of oil? :D I wait until I have at least 10 gallons of oil then bring it in. I use old steel gas cans. They don't leak and last forever. I take them to the hazmat center in town, its free and they don't care if I mix motor oil with trans fluid with rain water..

I got that oil quantity shock once on the tractor. The rear end holds 6 gallons. I had no idea they sold gear oil in 5 gallon buckets, but thats how I bought it for that oil change.

~Mark

Oh my goodness that is just amazing. Its free to dispose of your oil here. At our trash dump sites we can leave pour it into a big container they have there.

Here is the list of problems that need to be addressed before I start working on anything else.

#1: The front parking lights do not work, however the turn signals and emergency lights do work.

#2: The interior lights do not work when the door is opened or when the dash switch is on. The map reading lights work also. (this one is probally a bulb)

#3: The door ajar and air bag light are on all the time.

Update on this list. I have so far fixed #2 and half of #3. I still need to figure out the air bag light.

Also the parking lights are still out. We have a good ground at the bulb but cant get power there yet.

No Jon I just can make myself do it. The white has grown on me and I like it.

I am thinking about painting the grill green though :)

And I think white will increase the probability of resale in case you do decide to part with it in the future - since most fleet vehicles are white (takes more money to repaint).

Yes my air bag light is flashing I think the code is 24 but it involves the pass. air bag on/off switch. It does not work so its throwing a code for the air bag system.

If you're still having problems in January, I'll be driving though the Nashville area.

Also if you keep the RPMs at 2000 (~65-68mph) on the highway you'll get some better mileage.

Also, don't trust the trans temp idiot gauge. If the sucker moves the slightest bit up, it may be too late.
At a reading of 50 degrees the needle started moving and came up to the top of the cold range. At 100 degrees the needle read just below the center position of the gauge. The needle would creep up as the temperature reading increased, and at 70 degrees was near this position. I was disappointed to see the gauge would continue to stay at this position all the way up to 220 degrees. As the temperature reading was increased, the gauge rose to just above halfway at 230 degrees. The gauge rose rapidly to the yellow portion of the gauge when the temperature was increased to 250. At 280 degrees the gauge read in the red.

Well that tells me an after market gauge needs to go in for the tranny temp

see if they make a scanguage for that truck. It has a built in trans temp guage.

Just plug it in and drive!

Go with a good aftermarket gauge from Isspro, DiPricol or Autometer.

Also, it is a good idea to replace the factory trans cooler with either one from a V10 truck or (more preferably) one from a 6.0L. As the factory 7.3L trans cooler is on the small side and the V10 & 6.0L are bolt in upgrades that are twice the size of the stocker.

Ok guys my only two goals that I set out with this truck was to get it paid off in 6 months and then buy new tires. I have made my first goal and now am out to find tires.

Right now it has Firestone Transforce AT tires on it (class E load) . (forgot the size ill check when im at it next) They are good tires and I must say that I have not had a problem with them. The rear tires were not great when I bough it and now its starting to get close to the snow season. These will not make it very far in anything slick.

I am thinking on getting two more of these because the front two are fine. Not a problem at all with them. So what would you guys do>

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you're still having problems in January, I'll be driving though the Nashville area.

Also if you keep the RPMs at 2000 (~65-68mph) on the highway you'll get some better mileage.

Also, don't trust the trans temp idiot gauge. If the sucker moves the slightest bit up, it may be too late.

I would second that 67 mph should make 18+ with good fuel.
Good fuel makes a huge difference. The quality of diesel varies a ton around here. There are some places I can get close to 20 and others that struggle for 17.

Back