I broke it good this time | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I broke it good this time

Well, there I was minding my own business, gruvin with the newly fixed AC vibe.

It felt so good, I decided to treat the Turdle to an oil change, and get some lightbulbs for the house. A good shakedown run I thought.

So, off to wally world. I got some general tsao's chicken from the deli, some synthetic oil, a brand new Motorcraft filter, found some 67 watt bulbs, man, everything was going well. Even the check out clerk had wit this time.

I had just washed The mounty and was thinking how good it looked as I walked toward it.

I noticed a new Van had parked next to me, so, I carefully backed out.I continued backing , making a reverse u turn so I could go the other direction out.
I checked to the right, nobody coming, gave it some gas and BAMM!!!

Yup, I drove right in to a stop sign pole.:( My pillar gauges had created just enough of a blind spot I didn't even see it there. To be honest, I was in an area of the parking lot I never use, so I didn't know it was there. I sat there wondering WTF, and tried to get out. Aw fudge, the door did not open good. Once I was able to get out, I saw liquid on the ground, and a folded over stop sign.

And yeah, I hit it hard. I do think my junk is totaled. I was probably doing 5-10mph, not so fast, but the concrete pillar was just high enough to inflict serious pain.

It folded in the bumper, the header panel, fender, hood , and crushed the battery. The grill and corner light is broken .

The hood will not open, and battery fluid is in a puddle. I checked to see if it would be drivable, and saw a bent tie rod, with yellow Paint on the lower control arm also.

We do have insurance, so hopefully with a little luck there will be enough going on to fix it resourcefully.

Pics as soon as I can. I didn't have the camera with me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

....A picture is worth a thousand words...:D
turtle.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

This all really sucks, Jon! Any news from your insurance? I know things can get disheartening--best thing to do is take a break for a week or so, IMO. You said that the torsion bar drop brackets were bothering you, now there's some front suspension issues--I say use the insurance money for a Dana 60 swap! :thumbsup: Hang in there, man!

Don't give up now, Jon, you're making me weepy. All this is frustrating, but sh*t happens from time to time. All this adds character. Someday, maybe not tomorrow, you will look back and laugh about what has happened and you will have a story to tell about the time the stop sign bit you.

You would be bored as hell if you didn't have the Turdle to work on. ;) :p:

I admit that that Mounty is iconic of this whole forum, just like Blackhole, Lime, and Pumpkin. It would be a real shame to lose all the time invested in it and the satisfaction gained for every triumph. Keep it running, Jon. :thumbsup:

I admit that that Mounty is iconic of this whole forum, just like Blackhole, Lime, and Pumpkin. It would be a real shame to lose all the time invested in it and the satisfaction gained for every triumph. Keep it running, Jon. :thumbsup:

I agree!:biggthump

That sucks. At least you didn't hit your girlfriend's little brother's pickup with her with you. That makes for an awkward phonecall... Good story though.

OK, as luck would have it I have a plan!!

I need some help though. I need a Truck and trailer in Texas please, to pick up a little thing or 2 and haul it up here for me. I will pay $$ and a bonus for expedition of said items--provided things work out on this end.

Waiting for insurance check now. Estimate 1 --$5990.76 estimate 2 $5679.96

OK, as luck would have it I have a plan!!

I need some help though. I need a Truck and trailer in Texas please, to pick up a little thing or 2 and haul it up here for me. I will pay $$ and a bonus for expedition of said items--provided things work out on this end.

Waiting for insurance check now. Estimate 1 --$5990.76 estimate 2 $5679.96

Given the estimates did your insurance total it?

Build it up stronger and run that f'ing pole/SS over a few!

I have an idea.

Find a Mounty or Explorer with the rear back up sensors and put them in the front bemper so you don't hit any more poles.
happy0011.gif

I have an idea.

Find a Mounty or Explorer with the rear back up sensors and put them in the front bemper so you don't hit any more poles.
happy0011.gif

Ouch. But nonetheless a good idea, especially for that A-pillar blind spot :D

holy crap! I skipped this thread because I thought it was the oil pan thread!!! Jon!! Say it aint so!!

Dont forget my $900 96 started life in my hands with a wrecked front end..... strip id down to the under metal and get to straightening, you can bring it back with junk yard parts for el cheapo!!!!!

thats mostly cosmetic me thinks :) YOU need BIG METAL BUMPERS next time :)

AND you could make your new core support bolt on = easier to work on this sucker... I wish I would have done that to mine...instead I welded it... next time I know better!!

I think 3/8" pretty much covers most vehicles.

Yes. 3/8" will do it. If you do 5/16 that leaves you ZERO room to be offcenter when you drill.

Ryan

Wow Jon I didn't know about this, I've just been checking my User CP lately. Keep that truck running, it's too good to die from a parking lot mishap.

There are a ton of spot welds, I started to remove some of mine to keep my 93 front end. Buy the best removal tool you can get, don't skimp on that. The one I got was $16 and the cheap centering tip didn't last long. Ask others for what does work best on the spot welds.

i knew you where just blowing off steam jon! c'on! how, or why do you think evils name is evil? its a shorter version of me mumbling under my breath "evil f^<kin *****" every time it pisses me off to the point i have to walk away from it! admite it, that truck is a icon of the fourm. it has a motor in it that would more then likely stomp some snot noised little punk with a mustang at any stop light! i didnt think you where going to throw the towel in just yet! even better example is lindsy, she is rebuilding jack....sorta.

Back