They rung my bell this time... | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

They rung my bell this time...

...I got rear ended by a lifted Hummer...The guy said he fell asleep in traffic with his foot on the gas and woke up after he hit me...

..I didn't have my camera as I was running 1 cabinet out to Riverside at 2 in the afternoon...At 2:30 while stuck at a sigalert on the 91 @ Kraemer, the Hummer hit me but good...No warning and I didn't see it coming...:(

...The dash popped out, but everything else was secured...I just removed my floor jack and tall jack stands so I could haul this cabinet....I was wise enough to stow all the rig bags behind the front seat...

...I went to the doctor last night as the back of my head hit the seat so hard, it actually compressed the padding and hit the metal in the seat...This left a knot and an indentation of the seat frame below the knot...

...Initial look of the two vehicles showed the light tabs of his brush guard hit the top of my bumper and bent it...My receiver had the clevis holder in it, minus the clevis, and this pierced thru his front license plate...So, his brush guard was bent, my bumper was bent, and he had a hole in his license plate...

...My first thoughts was some buddy hit him but no one did...When I got out to look the first words out of my mouth when I saw the damage was," you hit me a lot harder than it looks...Are you ok??"...

..This morning I started the X to go pick up my prescriptions and it had a definite vibration...I went and picked up the prescriptions, Then headed over to a tranny shop where they charged me $80 bucks...They took it for a test drive and were able to feel the vibration...It was while you are in gear with the foot on the brake..If you gave it gas it was noticeable...:scratch:..Probably the tranny mount...

..They put it up on their rack and started looking it all over...We found out that his bumper hit my hitch hard enough to partially collapse the drivers side of the hitch mount...Their is a good 2" from the pass side hitch mount to the frame and on the drivers side, it buckled over to the frame...The rear axle seems to have shifted on the drivers side...They sent me over to a collision shop to get an estimate...The estimate was minus a lot as they will not put it on a rack until his insurance, or I, pay for it..

..Stats so far..

Me.. A little dazed..:confused:..bump and swelling on the back of the head and a stiff neck..

Project X...
Bent bumper
Bent hitch
Tach not working as dash popped out at impact
Rear end out of alignment
Pulls to the left bad...RA seem to of held...:biggthump
Vibration at tranny

The tranny shop will send me pics tonight I hope and I will post them...He contacted his Insurance this a.m. after calling me to see if we could settle with out them...They are now waiting for his formal statement and said it looks like it's a cut and dry case...Hopefully, all I want is to make sure the Project X and I are fixed back to normal...

...2 good things though...I was going to take my Ranger and it would have been totaled...And, her highness was asleep in her bed so she was not hurt a bit in this accident...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...I told you I'm a little goofy right now...:confused:...A little update as this has been a very stressful week do to all the new appointments related to the accident.

..As for my health...

...Wednesday I had a follow up after the cat scan appointment and this was also the day when the soreness really set in...Monday at the emergency and Wednesday at the follow up appointment, I kept getting lectures about my high blood pressure from the nurses and everyone else in the medical field that was working on me that was not aware I had a concussion...

...They re-read my BP after making me watch a wellness video about lowering my BP and eating fruits, nuts, and veggies full time, gag me..:rolleyes:...As they were re-reading my BP I said out loud it will be 120 over 80...The nurse read it out loud 120 over 80 and the Docter went..:eek:...He then had the nurse read me sitting down and standing up but now on my other arm...120 over 80 sitting and 116 over 80 standing up...I did the only mature thing I could think of in a Professional setting..:mattmoon:..:p:

...The blurred vision is still a problem when reading but I passed all there peripheral test, and yes, I'm still a little goofy but can complete longer sentences...

...Their Insurance company...

..Wednesday afternoon at 4:30 while I was at the other Doctors office, they called me and finally said they accept liability...They said I need to gather up all the bills and submit them as I get them...They then asked a question about my Doctors billing and I said," I am at their office now and will let you talk to them"...When the Doctors clerical assistant got off the phone she informed me that the other guys insurance company said they will only pay the initial and follow up as their collision report shows only $336 in damage and this is a very minor accident...:dunno:

..The "Project X"..

...When they contacted me Wednesday they mentioned they had cut a check for the $336 and I could have whomever do the work...I made myself pretty clear that I would not accept their Collision guy's estimate and him saying my bumper was already damaged and that they would supply me a hitch and I can bolt it on myself..:thumbdwn:

...I took it to the shop that gave me the $1300 estimate and they said they were limited to the info supplied by the insurance company paying for it...I do personally believe they will do a fair evaluation and the insurance company said they will consider it...

...I dropped the X off on Friday a.m. and they started dismantling the truck...They did take all my info on what happened to the truck during the collision including the small stuff, such as the dash popping out and the tach no longer working which this made me feel a little more comfortable that they will actually investigate it..:hammer:

...They will get back to me this week and let me know what decisions will be made before any repair work is done...I will update when I know more...;)

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Good luck with everything. Sounds like quite the ordeal due to someone falling asleep at the wheel.

What time of the day did this happen at? (It may have been in the op but that was 6 pages ago ;) )

...It happened at 2:30 in the afternoon on a thursday...The guy had gone to LA at 3 a.m. and was on his way home when he hit me...I was stopped with my foot on the brakes with no warning as in screeching brakes, as he woke up after he hit my X..:(

...It happened at 2:30 in the afternoon on a thursday...The guy had gone to LA at 3 a.m. and was on his way home when he hit me...I was stopped with my foot on the brakes with no warning as in screeching brakes, as he woke up after he hit my X..:(

Dude, that sucks. I'm a class ACZ (in Canada anyway)(CDL 1), and fatigue is a big issue, but at 2:30pm, did the driver have to blow? Falling asleep at that time on this side of the border and hitting someone, I believe you would have way less issues.....I wish you all the best and I hope you don't get f-'d.

Damn Ted just got to read this, this really sucks. Keep us posted as to your head injuries. The X will be better than ever. Let me/us know if there is any thing I can do to help, I am back in So Cal for 4+months.

Wanted to ask you if you wanted to do the Mojave Road going the other way next month. before my kid goes back to Afganistan(sp?) Maybe we can get the X going by then.

umm.. civil lawsuit.. I'd go for the jugular..

...Thanks Thunderhorse...:salute:

...I have been planning to make the Colorado run on labor day in my Ranger before this happened and I am still hoping to make that trip...However this turns out by the end of the month, I will keep updating...

...As for the Mojave road, I would like to do that with you guys again and will definitely be there if I don't go to Colorado and will still try if I do...;)

...I may take civil action but for now, I have to play the game..:(..This will be coming to a head in the next week or so...

Sorry to hear about this Ted. Glad to hear you're relatively ok... Sure hope the other guys insurance does right by you.

Best of luck.

...Thanks Rick...:salute:

..That is all I am hoping for...For them to just fix the X the way it was, and pay my bills that were incurred due to this accident..

Ted who are you insured with? I ask this because I had a similar type incident years ago . My insurance paid for all the repairs and then sued the other insurance company for the loss.

...I have AAA for insurance but I do not have full coverage on the X...Since this was suppose to be cut and dry, My insurance company hasn't said much...

..I am interested in similar situations and more info while I wait...;)

So any news?

...I have AAA for insurance but I do not have full coverage on the X...Since this was suppose to be cut and dry, My insurance company hasn't said much...

Same here. I have AAA, Full coverage on everything but EX, which just has Liability, Fire, and Theft. Collision really is not a consern:D

...Sorry, I was just waiting for their insurance to do their thing..:rolleyes:

...A couple words come to mind while going thru this...Prejudice, Ignorance, and Disappointment...Forgive me for my Bias and I will try and include most of the info as I have for now and I do not want this to sound as a rant..:(

...I took the X in last Friday to the Collision Repair place of my choice as I was instructed..Their Insurance was notified then, and once again on Tuesday, as they need to verify the other work needed due to the collision and as per their report...Their other Collision expert who finally went out to view the truck late yesterday, took no interest in the items that were originally noted and as I was told by my shop, "spent most of his time there going over the other offroad modifications to the truck"..

...Their collision guy called me later yesterday to inform me that they Denied everything other than a half hour to repair bumper, it's plastic cap, and throwing on a hitch...He went on to tell me that the other items were all poor maintenance and wear and tear items which they will not cover...

..I asked him about the fact that the tachometer worked until the dash popped out due to the impact, the broken transmission mount and vibration was not there before the impact, and the write ups to fix the alignment in the rear and the front which was noted by their guy and 2 other companies and he said yes, those are maintenance items and they are denied...

..I am sorry to say but I went ballistic...:rant:

..This looks like I might have to take the other driver to small claims with the max amount being $7500 out here as, the attorneys have said it would be the best..Since I was not critically injured it would not justify the time or the cost...

...I am picking up the X today with no work done to it so I can pay for all the repairs myself in order to get it road worthy again...

...I can see this coming from miles away that they will be trying to deny the medical claim on this as tey are sticking to it's a $336 accident since they now Denied any of the other repair work due to the accident...I am still seeing blurred when reading, still sore as I was a week ago, and still not all together when speaking to someone in a sentence...

..I am still open to any and all help in this matter and would really love to find a Personal Injury Attorney that offroads and doesn't think of me or the X as one of those modified nuts who go out to thrash their vehicle and leaves them like that, but rather someone who is an offroad enthusiast who maintains their vehicle...:confused:

You need to get a hold of your insurance company and light a fire under their butt, they should be sticking up and going to bat for you.

...I did get a hold of my insurance company yesterday and they said there is nothing they can do since the other guys said they accept the initial claim...Out of the Attorney's I spoke to, they seem to have a dislike for the practices of Allstate and none have been surprised...:dunno:

dude $336 wouldnt even cover his headlight, thats ridiculous, its probably half of his monthly insurance payment on that overpriced POS Yukon. front mount hitch? What the hell for? moving shopping carts? no H2 owner has ever used their front hitch, they dont even know what its for....no wonder GM is on their way out, thats alot of useless metal!

Take him to small claims for the full $7500, with a CAT and EKG you are going to need every penny

we need Car Insurance Reform!! ....Obama????

LOL KIDDING!!

glad to hear you are okay, I would want to punch the insurance guys in the mouth...just wait until your vision is clear again

WTF? "Oh this is an off road truck!" I can hear him say that now and hes thinking "we dont have to pay for shi*" what an ass hat

Take it to small claims court.

You got a concussion from this! Are they that stupid? Forget the truck, worry about your health!

If it was a Judge sitting at a stop light, and got rear ended, do you think the Judge would except the terms the INS adjuster is dishing out? Hell no! That Judge would want justice. Just like you should have.

small claims, would definitely be the way to go.

Trans mount maintainence? Haven't seen an interval for that one.

Hopefully, everything will work out for you.

Try talking to the supervisor of the insurance agent. My sister did this when they caught the agent in a lie. One threat of a lawyer and she received a check in the mail the next day. I'd tell the insurance company your going after them and not him. He pays them to cover his ass, there not covering his ass. He should be pist about the hole situation also.

Back