Section525 - D44 2nd gen. leaves SAS | Page 44 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Section525 - D44 2nd gen. leaves SAS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well since I have the axle in-hand finally... I guess I can start my thread.

I bought this axle about a month ago from a guy in OR and finally made it around to picking it up yesterday. I watched as he actually took the axle out from under the truck. It's pretty clean.

1983 Jeep Wagoneer LP D44

The plans:
Rubicon Express leaf springs (unless someone suggests otherwise)
4.88s
Detroit

Then SOA the rear, add a locker, and 5x4.5 to 6x5.5 adapters (I heard they make them). So far I am thinking about going 35/36s BFGs or IROKs.

So.... any suggestions?

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 7,029
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 7,071
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 7,016

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I dont care what they say my ex has the red switch I am going to replace that sucker recall or not!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Stic-o said:
No locker? only L/S :thumbdwn: Get your self a locker there buddy.

Damn you Stic-o! :D I bought a used lunchbox locker from my 4wd shop guy today. So.. looks like it's going in tomorrow/Saturday too (if I can get my hands on an open carrier). Locked front and rear and 4wd by Sunday! :cool:

section525 said:
Damn you Stic-o! :D I bought a used lunchbox locker from my 4wd shop guy today. So.. looks like it's going in tomorrow/Saturday too (if I can get my hands on an open carrier). Locked front and rear and 4wd by Sunday! :cool:

I got one you can have...A bit used though! :p:

carrier.jpg

You know my address. :p:

You guys need help this afternoon? Ran into Phil last night...said something about you guys doin' the gears today. I'll give him/you a call later, gotta check up on your ex, it's looking pretty sweet!

Well it was a long day of not getting much accomplished. :( Hit a couple places up for an open carrier. Finally ended up pulling one from the junk yard. Went good. Except for when we went to install the locker. It was the wrong size carrier (different cross pin width). Damn it. So, looks like we need to go hunting again.

Then we tore out the front axle. Starting working on the gears and locker for that. It's a lot of trial and error trying to get everything right when you don't have the old shims to sorta go off of. So we played with it till 12:30AM trying to get a pattern we like with the acceptable backlash. Decided to call it a night and try some more in the morning. :(

But, things might still work out by the end of the weekend. I got some metal to make the new crossmember and the front driveshaft. So as long as we get these gears set to our liking in the morning.. I have all Sat and Sun to finish it up.

Oh yeah, and the Ford dealer is keeping my Mountaineer until Monday because apparently it caught on fire. :eek: :p:

What x-member, tranny x-member?

zainyD said:
What x-member, tranny x-member?

Yeah, the tranny crossmember.

But, I'm building a sorta.. middle.. crossmember that will link the shackle hangers on the front springs and also be where the belly skid will bolt to. So the skid will bolt to the rear tranny xmember too. It should be pimp.

Shackle hanger xmember:

Attachments

• newxmember.jpg
    newxmember.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 536

Back to fabbin'. This is definitely the part I dig most. :thumbsup:

Here's the new tranny x-member so far:

Attachments

• xmember.jpg
    xmember.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 513

Very nice!!!

Front gears and locker are now in. The axles have new u-joints. Pretty much everything is ready to go back together now. We left it all apart so it'll be easier to move the axle under the truck. Which, we didn't do because I really want to build the new shackle hangers/x-member before throwing it back in. So tomorrow will be another fab day. :cool:

Attachments

• axle.jpg
    axle.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 505

Yeah. Phil put them in in a few seconds. :cool:

Kewl :cool:

You gonna head down for a T-haven run or 2 when it's done?

DB_1 said:
Kewl :cool:

You gonna head down for a T-haven run or 2 when it's done?

Don't think I'll be able to make it before the Feb run. I'll have skoo from Nov-March so no ca$h flow. :(

Tore out the old shackle hangers and here is the new ones so far. :cool:

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 506
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 500

Your makin' this kinda hard on yourself.... What happen to "look at me do a SAS in a weekend" blah blah blah. Yet I here of no 4wd, and see no off roading pictures? :p:

I'm just fixing stuff before I have to fix it out in the woods in 5' of snow at 2AM. :p:

You just wish you had the bling factor this is going to have. :cool: :cool:

section525 said:
I'm just fixing stuff before I have to fix it out in the woods in 5' of snow at 2AM. :p:

You just wish you had the bling factor this is going to have. :cool: :cool:

Rocks don't care about Bling! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back