They rung my bell this time... | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

They rung my bell this time...

...I got rear ended by a lifted Hummer...The guy said he fell asleep in traffic with his foot on the gas and woke up after he hit me...

..I didn't have my camera as I was running 1 cabinet out to Riverside at 2 in the afternoon...At 2:30 while stuck at a sigalert on the 91 @ Kraemer, the Hummer hit me but good...No warning and I didn't see it coming...:(

...The dash popped out, but everything else was secured...I just removed my floor jack and tall jack stands so I could haul this cabinet....I was wise enough to stow all the rig bags behind the front seat...

...I went to the doctor last night as the back of my head hit the seat so hard, it actually compressed the padding and hit the metal in the seat...This left a knot and an indentation of the seat frame below the knot...

...Initial look of the two vehicles showed the light tabs of his brush guard hit the top of my bumper and bent it...My receiver had the clevis holder in it, minus the clevis, and this pierced thru his front license plate...So, his brush guard was bent, my bumper was bent, and he had a hole in his license plate...

...My first thoughts was some buddy hit him but no one did...When I got out to look the first words out of my mouth when I saw the damage was," you hit me a lot harder than it looks...Are you ok??"...

..This morning I started the X to go pick up my prescriptions and it had a definite vibration...I went and picked up the prescriptions, Then headed over to a tranny shop where they charged me $80 bucks...They took it for a test drive and were able to feel the vibration...It was while you are in gear with the foot on the brake..If you gave it gas it was noticeable...:scratch:..Probably the tranny mount...

..They put it up on their rack and started looking it all over...We found out that his bumper hit my hitch hard enough to partially collapse the drivers side of the hitch mount...Their is a good 2" from the pass side hitch mount to the frame and on the drivers side, it buckled over to the frame...The rear axle seems to have shifted on the drivers side...They sent me over to a collision shop to get an estimate...The estimate was minus a lot as they will not put it on a rack until his insurance, or I, pay for it..

..Stats so far..

Me.. A little dazed..:confused:..bump and swelling on the back of the head and a stiff neck..

Project X...
Bent bumper
Bent hitch
Tach not working as dash popped out at impact
Rear end out of alignment
Pulls to the left bad...RA seem to of held...:biggthump
Vibration at tranny

The tranny shop will send me pics tonight I hope and I will post them...He contacted his Insurance this a.m. after calling me to see if we could settle with out them...They are now waiting for his formal statement and said it looks like it's a cut and dry case...Hopefully, all I want is to make sure the Project X and I are fixed back to normal...

...2 good things though...I was going to take my Ranger and it would have been totaled...And, her highness was asleep in her bed so she was not hurt a bit in this accident...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

...It definitely is not as bad as your accident up by Flagstaff...Hopefully we can get our "Clunker's" together on the Mojave trail next March...:D

...Besides the bumper, the hitch, and the tranny mount, I will know more tomorrow hopefully...Unless, they don't put it on the Rack and check the frame until they do the work...:dunno:

Sorry to see about you getting hit Ted,Been out of town,Hey if you need any help with any thing let me know.Glad you came out alright.

someone returned from the dead :D

think Ted needs to get his bell rung more often :cool:

...Thanks for popping in Mr. Alfaro...:biggthump

...I just got back from the their insurance inspection....It was a visual only...The guy was pleasant as we walked out of his little office and went out to my truck...He say's, "Oh, it's an off road truck"...

...Needless to say I was met with the to well known, "Thats a modified vehicle and, that can't be brought into spec"...I was kind of waiting for that mentality...I described the damage and the vehicle that hit me...I also tried to give him the sheet I was given by my Tranny shop as their (Allstate) person in charge of my claim requested I do...He said they don't know why she had told me to give it to them...

...He did his visual and did a printout of their estimate which included an open end for checking when it's on the rack, the axle alignment, a full alignment, and the tranny mount, as they can't do anything till they have it in the shop...

..Their grand total with those things to be left till later = $336.43

...They told me they would have the bumper repaired, a new plastic cap put on it, and it included $150 towards a hitch that I can put on myself...:rolleyes:...I just noticed they put a note that the bumper was damaged prior to his write up..Wtf did he get that...:mad:

...Anywho...I am now glad that I had immediately taken the vehicle to a well known and respected Collision repair shop in my area...They do insurance repairs for AAA, Mercury, Farmer's and a number of other insurance companies, but not Allstate....

...They viewed the vehicle the same way and the items they left open that needs to be checked when they are working on it:

Rear Axle
Leaf Springs
Tranny mount
Left Frame Rail
Right Frame Rail

...Their estimate of the same items and the exclusions above = $1303.27

Popping back,may be that first guy just forgot to put that 1 in front of the 3.:rolleyes:

Wow, just saw this. Glad you are OK! The Explorer can always be fixed better than it was, they are tough vehicles.

Gentleman, we can rebuild it, we have the technology. We have the capability to make the world's first bionic Explorer. Project X will be that Explorer. Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Glad you're ok. Hopefully there won't be any lasting injuries that pop up.

...I did a follow up with my Doctor yesterday as the blurred vision, loss of train of thought, and getting tired easy was now getting old....My blood pressure was 175 over 125 so he sent me to the emergency to get a CAT scan...

...They did a bunch of blood test to rule out anything else, and a EKG (?), just to make sure nothing else like possibly diabetes was causing the increased blood pressure....CAT, EKG, and blood test on my end all checked out...They all agree that the high blood pressure is due to the head trauma...They said I can stay goofy like this for a couple weeks..:confused:...It's not bad but gets annoying quick..

...I also got a call from the doctor today and they were told by the other guys insurance that they are going to treat this as a third party claim which as was explained to me, they want me to pay all the bills and they will pay me later...:rolleyes:

...I've tried to get a hold of them today with no return phone calls...If anybody has any info that would help in such a situation, I am open to suggestions...If all else fails, I will be soon seeking an attorney..:(

Sorry to hear about your accident, at least your ok! Too bad your not in Jersey, I got a real good lawyer I could have sent you to.

Ted I would mad as hell,if a insurance told me that.I think its time to call a lawyer.I would check with AAA and see if they would recomend someone.Do not pay any thing,they will proberly not rememburse you.

Yeah "we'll reimburse you later" sucks, with all the paperwork and all companies involved who knows how long it'll take, I hope it doesn't have to go that route

dont pay for anything! i had a bad a wreck 2 years ago and nationwide said the same thing. my uncle, a lawyer, has had run ins with nationwide saying the same thing and never paying. my uncles clients went through a bunch of crap just to get the money back. just be careful.

...Getting mad right now won't do me any good physically...Just worrying about this stuff makes me have to lay down...

..His insurance company just called me to let me know a couple things...

1)He had called in the accident and has not made an official insurance report...
2)They re-affirmed the third party stuff
3)They told me from their collision guy it was a minor accident from his report (as in bumper damage and it had previous damage is what he said)
4)They said they have made several calls and sent him letters...His 1 phone was disconnected and if he did not respond, I would have to go after him personally..

...I just called him and he answered the phone and was currently on the way to the insurance office to fill out the paperwork...I hope this is true...

...His insurance company said they would call me as soon as he contacts them...It's just starting to seem a little fishy...:fart:

Sorry your going thru a BS time with all the red tape. most important thing is your health. I would deff get an Atty. and let him deal with all the BS the other guys Ins is dishing out.

...If I could just remember the name of the "Injury Attorney" that's always running them tv ad's out here...:scratch:

Larry H Parker... :D

"Larry got me 2.1 million":p:

...Thank you...I'm writing down all numbers tonight..

...Personally, this is a last resort as I thought this would be a rather simple resolve...

Glad your okay Tbars! I hope everything works out. If all else fails you can sue him for that hummer :)

...Thanks...I couldn't afford the gas and would only drive it on the road for as we know, Explorer's are better than Hummers...:D

...Although, it was a luxury edition with real leather...

Sooooooo Ted wanna tell what the drunk dial call was all about last thursday? ;)

Back