Meow
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Smithville/Austin, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
08' Suzuki SX4
Well here we go.........

As most of you already know I have a grey Lincoln Mark VIII, with some 237,000 mile on the ticker and a long history of being raced, and hard at that.

MARK8.jpg

Well a few weeks ago while at the track to pick up an air ride compressor from my buddy Tom and the Ghost's previous owner Tiff, they told me about a guy whom had another Mark VIII for $600, that had been hit in the front end.

IMG_6583.sized.jpg

So after talking with him and discovering that this $600 Mark VIII has only 69,000 miles and that the poor lil Ghost was getting tired in more than one way, I sent Stang Girl over to look at it for me and make the final decision about the purchace.

After a short look over and using her best judgement she knew this was not to be passed up and paid for the car, took pictures and call me to let me know what was the scoop.

Passide.jpg

Well after a few weeks of doing other thing around the house, and then finally the transmission goingout in the Ghost it was time to make arrangments to bring the donar Mark VIII home for it second to last journey.

Mind you I have never ever seen this car in person, you all know as much as I do about it, I have only seen the same pictures you have.

So at 11:00pm lastnight it came home on a roll back and was dropped off in the street, with a jump box attached she jumped right to life and was ready to go to it's new lounging spot, and me off to bed (4am comes around pretty early) :(

So after work today I decided I would knock the 1 1/2 years of dust and dirt of of her and she what was really to be had.

Mmmmmm Here's that tasty good stuff, 32 valves of screaming terror

lr001.jpg

lr002.jpg

Although you'll say it doesn't look to bad, it did take a pretty smart hit diagonally to the front end and tweeked the forward section of the frame rails pretty good.

lr003.jpg

lr004.jpg

lr005.jpg

All the interior (steering wheel, door panels, carpet, seats, console, misc trim, dash trim) except for the headliner, phone and dash assy will be used, the headliner can't be used as this car doesn't have a hole in the roof (might if it was in the north Texas area, or mabey even roofless) :eek:

lr006.jpg

lr009.jpg

lr007.jpg

lr008.jpg

So the idea here is that I am also going to remove ALL of the drivetrain and put it in the Ghost, that includes the rear to.

So to do it in a so called easy fashion, I'm going to drop the whole K-member with the motor/tranny/front suspension at once and out from the bottom of the car.

I did a similar repair New Years night to Tom's Mark VIII, but only to the K-member, the problem was that the hoist legs got in the way and hampered a little bit, the hoist was used to hold the engine and tranny in place while I did the service.

This time I brought home a piece of "C" Channel iron and I'm going into the attic and placing it accross the rafters and punching two holes in the cieling and dropping a chain through it, and then attaching a Chain Fall (block and tackle).

Similar to a tree saver, a heavy duty short strap around the front frame rails, while setting the engine and tranny with complete K-member still attached onto some funriture dollys for easy mobility.

then taking 2 short pieces of pipe and welding them to the frame rails with casters on them to move the car out of the garage, the rear section of the car will be the last part done.

Stay Tuned!
This might get interesting!

lr010.jpg

Jeff - :navajo:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

subscribin.....this may turn out very intersting......

Awesome, looks like you got a great deal on it(even with the frame being tweaked). :cool:

Looks like you got a good deal...the motor alone is worth a LOT more than you paid for the car :D.

Now...go drop the motor into a Pinto or Mustang II...you'll really have a screamer then :D :D :D :D .

bmxking5 said:
Awesome, looks like you got a great deal on it(even with the frame being tweaked). :cool:

Actually if you look it's all forward of the core support:

lr011.jpg

You better change that oil: :eek:

lr008.jpg

haha

Looks good inside. :thumbsup:

-Drew

Are those 280 hp? There seems to be a bit of demand for them. Pretty nice looking and luxury-oriented with Mustang GT performance (or better).

I bet your neighbors are thrilled! hahaha

Sweet donor man!

F14CRAZY said:
Are those 280 hp? There seems to be a bit of demand for them. Pretty nice looking and luxury-oriented with Mustang GT performance (or better).

280hp if it's the standard Mark VIII and 290hp if it and LSC.

And quite a bit more performance than a GT, remember this is the test bed for what be came the normally aspirated Cobra motor in 1996, it' was the only way to get a 32 valve 4.6 with and automatic (4R70W) till the 03' Mach 1 came about.

Well, this is the weekend, I have a paid holliday (Good Friday), and saturday and sunday off, so tomorrow it's time to get down to business and crank this lil project up to speed and get the program started.

I'll get my garage cleared out of all the extra parts and things that will be set off to the side and the dismantling of the maroon Mark will commence.

Jeff - :confused:

SVO said:
280hp if it's the standard Mark VIII and 290hp if it and LSC.

And quite a bit more performance than a GT, remember this is the test bed for what be came the normally aspirated Cobra motor in 1996, it' was the only way to get a 32 valve 4.6 with and automatic (4R70W) till the 03' Mach 1 came about.

Well, this is the weekend, I have a paid holliday (Good Friday), and saturday and sunday off, so tomorrow it's time to get down to business and crank this lil project up to speed and get the program started.

I'll get my garage cleared out of all the extra parts and things that will be set off to the side and the dismantling of the maroon Mark will commence.

Jeff - :confused:

Well, we can race the cars right now to see who would win between the Ghost and the Reaper. ;) Between the OD being out on the Ghost and my electric fan deciding to break, it should be a quick, close race before my car starts overheating or you hit top speed in 2nd. :p

You forgot to mention the 2 new holes in the garage ceiling with the huge chain running through it. :eek: The chain is hooked around the 4x10 (or 12) beam that runs across the attic. It will be used for the come-along to lift the bodies of the cars up. :confused:

I started taking pieces of the interior out of the Ghost last night, since most of the interior from the Demon Lincoln is going in it. The State didn't give us Friday off, so I am taking the day off (using some of my overtime) so I can help SVO with this huge project. The plan is to have the Ghost running and ready to go back to work on Monday. :confused:

I will take lots of pics and post throughout the weekend, so stay tuned. ;)

Sounds like a fun weekend :D ! We'll be spending tomorrow down at CJ Pony parts picking up the '66!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

JDraper said:
Sounds like a fun weekend :D ! We'll be spending tomorrow down at CJ Pony parts picking up the '66!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Congrats!!!! Can't wait to see pics of Sue driving around in it ;) .

Well the time has come to get this program underway, I have cleaned and re-arranged the garage as to handle the work load that has been bestowed upon me.

Lori aside from doing some interior work while I'm dealing with the heavy machanical will be shooting pics and uploading them, you would figure that if I had a cable connection and web cam that I might just allow you all just to stream the work in progress.

So yeah, 3 days, 2 vehicles and rising gas prices, the Lincoln is an essential part in keeping us on our budget, as some of may or may not know, the Lincoln get some 28mpg as oppsed to my F150 Flareside which gets 12mpg, and my Navajo, which I just drove all week due to Lori's GT loosing the radiator cooling fan that had to be ordered and she drove my Flareside, that gets a whopping 17mpg, remember that we both have almost a 100 mile round trip drive each day to and from work.

Doing the math that about $100 a week in fuel for the trucks, her GT gets about 24mpg and again the Lincoln 28mpg, that a savings of more than half, so that is why I'm so adimate about gettting this Lincoln put back on the road.

It's not that I wanted to do this project but a necissarry evil, and the proceedure that I'm going about is more of a full blown shop rather than something you would do in a personal garage.

The idea is to remove units from the vehicle in big chunks rather than take is all apart, this will shorten project time and clutter of having to work around, say a transmission here a motor over there and a K-member on that end of the garage, hopefully you get the point, it's all per-sey modular so that's the way I'm going to attack it.

If all goes well the only thing that will be left to do, that will not be able to be done here is an alinement, as both the front and the rear suspension will be removed and replace, which means that it will prolly be off on the settings per-one vehicle to the next.

What will be left over and not used will be dumped on Evilbay and used to absorb the cost of the donnor car, the sad part is all the glass and sheet metal which is good will be hauled to the local salvage yard for scrap, unless for some unforseen mirrical that someone come and takes it away, cause other than the froward section of the core supporst and the driver's side front fender the car is completely perfect, ashame to just trash good sheet metal like that, but I/we can't have that sitting here at the house, bad enough we have:

4 Explorers
1 Sport Trac
1 F150
1 Mustang GT
1 Chevy 1 ton van
1 Camry
1 17' Ski boat
2 Lincoln Mark VIII

here at the house, even I'm thinking there's too much here and things need to get weeded out.

Welp as soon as I get another pot of Java in my system if will be full on disassemble time after I drain 19 gallons of fuel out of the Maroon Lincoln, gotta hate that, fill your car up and then wreck it, lmao.

BTW, yes I could figure out a Bazillion different things I would rather be doing on my 3 day weekend than this, I'm not core automotive all the time, I do have a few other intrest's, one being, flopping around on the couch all day and watching DVD's :chug:

Jeff - :navajo:

So as some of you may beable to comply with:

People like me with ADD/ADHD can relate to thing with organization, if things are out of place I'll just go bannana's so having everything laid out and ready to go is key for me to being effective in my work abllities :confused:

Call me strange but yes, what works for some people may not work for other, drive;s me nut's too look in other people's tool boxes to see tools just tossed in there in a cluster style fashon.

tools_ADD.jpg

Why are my tools on the floor, well as of about 2 months ago I took on a fleet management position for a major HVAC company, doing upkeep on some 50+ latemodel vehicles and equipment and so that ment I have to move my tools out there, but afterbeing there a while I have about figured out what I do and don't need ther and will be bring some stuff home, the down fall is I need another roll-a-round box to have here at the house, eh? it's all good though.

Well, it has begun....I am taking pics and uploading while Jeff is still out there working. I feel kind of bad since I am enjoying the air conditioning and a cold Dr. Pepper... :p

Here, Jeff is having to drain the nearly full gas tank. The gas has been in there for over a year. :eek:
drngas.jpg

Up on jack stands...
beg.jpg

Underneath...
underneath.jpg

Here comes the strap.
strapon.jpg

Safety first. ;)
hanging2.jpg

Yeah, this just doesn't look normal. :confused:
hanging4.jpg

More to come later on. :D

i love it. looks like it's hangin from the drywall. i should have done my motor swap instead of letting the stealership do it. i would have used a gantry(2 structures that look like giant A's with casters on the bottom connected with a steel beam) and chainfall. that interior looks awesome. the only way you can tell the age of the vehicle on the inside is the carphone and that premium sound am/fm cassette.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thats a clean car...too bad shes meeting her maker..but its living on in the ghost. as fr the ebay car, i would pick that up in a heart beat from wha ive learned about the marks. Prob is that in ohio you cant register a vehicle with out a title, not even a bill of sale. sigh. good luck with the swap.

Back