How To: Add Over-Head Grab Handles and A-Pillar Handles Second Generation Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To: Add Over-Head Grab Handles and A-Pillar Handles Second Generation Explorer

section525

sextion525
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Red Bluff, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1975 Ford Bronco 4x4
Since some of us have pretty tall trucks I thought this would be a useful mod to share.

Since I did the TT/shackles and added 31s it has become more difficult to get into the Explorer since removing the running boards. So I thought I would add a "grab handle" for assistance.

I went to the junkyard and pulled all three stock handles off a Gen 1 Explorer. Now you also must get underneath the headliner and grab the bracket that goes between the handle and the roof structure. So take a 5.5mm socket (deep) for the grab bar bolts, a phillips for the underneath bracket, and a flat screw driver to pry the covers off the handles. I got all three of the handles and brackets for $15... which is an okay deal.

(lost photos)

Next, I pulled the interior apart to access under the headliner. This part just pops off, but I also unbolted the seatbelt shoulder strap and removed the B pillar plastic and rear grab handle and clothes hanger. The further down you can pull the headliner the better. I have a sunroof which probably made this install about 4x easier. :p

Now you have to bend these tabs up in order for the bracket to sit flush against the roof.

Now the holes for the grab handle are already there. :confused: The problem is they have a huuuge diameter hole. I experiemented with a couple things (I'll show you below) but ended up just drilling new 3/16" holes just to the left of the stock holes.

Getting the drill in there was awesome. :D

New holes drilled.

I used 14 x 7/8" self tapping screws to fasten the bracket.

I then threaded the grab handle bolts into the bracket.

The headliner is even recessed where the handle will go. I don't know why they just didn't add one stock. I imagine this is for RHD Explorer.

I then pushed the headliner up into the bolt heads, making sure it left an indention in the foam. This made for easy drilling for the pilot holes. Just pull the headliner down a little bit and drill 3/16" holes from the top.

Here's the finished product. :cool:

Here's the hardware:

Good luck! :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Now I tried using the stock holes, which someone may want to do if they find the correct hardware, but I didn't have much luck.

I bought these from OSH (on the right).

(lost photos)

They fit in good, everything seemed like it would work. But the screws just wouldn't get tight enough.

So I opted for new holes. :D

The other two handles are for the a-pillars. I'll keep you guys updated.

midget525 said:
Since some of us have pretty tall trucks I thought this would be a useful mod to share.

Since I did the TT/shackles and added 31s it has become more difficult to get into the Explorer since removing the running boards. So I thought I would add a "grab handle" for assistance.
I know what you mean. Since I did the F-150 coil spacers and shackles in the rear, (I was able to fit 32s) I have to literally jump into my Explorer. This is a great idea. Nice work. :thumbsup:

Would definitely like to see the a pillar installs.

section525 said:
Since I did the TT/shackles and added 31s it has become more difficult to get into the Explorer since removing the running boards.

:rolleyes:

ok i did something close to this but on my a-pillers. i used bmw handles and nylon bushing with self tapping screws (5/16). I used a dremel to cut out the holes in the trim.. i am 230 and haent ripped on out yet.. I got the nylon bushings from home depot. make it more secure than just a screw.

Well I just did the passenger side A pillar. It came out okay. It should work. It's not quite as flush looking as I would like it to be. But whateva!

I took my bracket and tried to find what it would take to mount it.
(lost photos)

Drew some lines where I would make the cuts. Whipped out the air cut-off wheel and got it done.

Cut pieces.

Mocked into place.

Use stolen hotel towels prior to welding inside the cab.

Grind off (very flamable) Ford paint.

Maybe you should dampen the stolen towels prior to welding. Or get off your ass and invest in a welding blanket.

Brackets welded in.

What I did for this was to thread the bolts into the holes.. then ****** the top of the head with a sharpie. Then place the panel on, push it onto the bolt heads, then remove. You should have little sharpie dots where you should drill the holes. :cool:

Well the mounting surface was further back than I thought it would be. The stock hardware wasn't long enough. So I used some nuts and bolts I already had. I tacked the nuts onto the bracket (this also acts as a spacer so the bolt will not pull the plastic in further than it should).

Nice big phillips head bolt.

Screw it on, cap it, and you're done! :cool:

This is what the chicks see when getting in on the passenger side: :p

zhanx said:
ok i did something close to this but on my a-pillers. i used bmw handles and nylon bushing with self tapping screws (5/16). I used a dremel to cut out the holes in the trim.. i am 230 and haent ripped on out yet.. I got the nylon bushings from home depot. make it more secure than just a screw.

Do you happen to have pics of this??

I had an apple yesterday though.

not of the nylon bushings I forgot to take on of that.. i'll look for my old post

Here what i used minus the curved one on top

2036219_5_full.jpg

and here is the result:

2036219_6_full.jpg

i'll look for the install pics on my harddrive.

just means i did it first :eek:

I was searching for "oh **** handles" and Drew's thread came up from a year ago. :D

ok i was the first to use bmw handles then. so there!

Finished the driver's side. If you have a sun roof you'll have to notch out the bracket for the wire loom to go through. Other than that it's just as easy. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

^^^ ditto. now i can stop pullin the muscle in my left leg.

Back