v-8 70mm Throttle body Install-working out the bugs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

v-8 70mm Throttle body Install-working out the bugs

Okay so I purchased a 70mm T-Body From Dynamic racing. It looks fine and all... its for a 1987-93 Im thinking this is the problem?
Well I took the old one off and then compared the 2 and everything is different. The TPS Bolts, the throttle hookup, the IAC so What should I do?
It would be alot of modd.. just to get it to work.
Or Do I need another type of throttle body?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think you might need one for 94-95 or one fore a gt40 upper. I am curious also.

This is the only bolt-on I am missing.

Well the t-body is square and the gaskets that came on the kit fit perfectly with the original t-body, I did bolt it up and eveything lines up fine except everything I stated in the first post.

To be honest-I encountered the same issues-plus some as I even changed the egr elbow on mine--
I used the proper TPS and wired the proper connector to my harness--the IAC will mount although it looks backwards and a bit tight-I used a ball adapter to the linkage and the throttle cable clipped right on it-
Now, to be honest I still have throttle bracket issues-but you shouldn't encounter this using the stock elbow.Hopefully my issues are soon to be sorted.

You might post up some pictures of your problem areas-

Ok I was thinking the same thing with the tps maybe one off a mustang? and the IAC. But like you said.. the Ball adapter Is at the top of the new tbody and On the Original its at the bottom SO I just have to figure out how to adapt the throttle hookup. because when I went to connect the cables the throttle is pulling in the opposite direction. WHen you hit the gas it want to close the Tbody

Ok I was thinking the same thing with the tps maybe one off a mustang? and the IAC. But like you said.. the Ball adapter Is at the top of the new tbody and On the Original its at the bottom SO I just have to figure out how to adapt the throttle hookup. because when I went to connect the cables the throttle is pulling in the opposite direction. WHen you hit the gas it want to close the Tbody
Yeah--
I was able to find a threded post with the ball on the end-Maybe you could drill a new hole for it on the opposite side?

I am thinking for mine-(just for ideas for you) I am going to cut the lever off, and weld it on into a slightly different angle-mine won't pull all the way open-

I had to convert to front pull because of this-but to be honest I need a picture of yours to refresh my memory--lol

I used a 95 mustang cobra TPS--it is a bit higher$$ but the 95 mustang TPS goes to 4.2v. cobra goes to 4.9v Believe it or not.

ok Pics!

Here I just took a few to give you an idea...

Here is the aftermarket ones first

kodymounty026.jpg

kodymounty025.jpg

then the Orig...

kodymounty029.jpg

kodymounty032.jpg

Oh John I just bought this....

wl2tps255003.jpg

its for a 1995 cobra Its made by wells

ok so couldn't you just hook it up to that ball then you may have to bend or move your throttle bracket back a bit so i opens all the way?

No I thought about that, And the bracket is pretty ridgid its made not to flex a whole lot...
And the original bends like

Tbodyog.jpg

And the New one Bends like

tbodypics.jpg

you would need to adjust the cables and then re locate the bracket..
It would seem easier to re-locate the ball to the the location It is on the Original T-Body to the new T-body

You know what this reminds me of the shift lever In a AOD or any other trans, A floor shifter has a down position?,
and a column Shifter has a up position shift lever?....

I'm gonna be getting my head arount this soon too. I just bought a 75mm Edelbrock from Ebay and I'm gonna have to jerry-rig it to work right too. I may just fabricate my own arm and screw it to the existing arm, then cut off any excess arm parts sticking out where I don't want them.

i wanna see how the mustang set up looks like...
hmm you think you could get a junkyard mustang bracket and cable and bolt it on?

I have those-on the shelf if that gives an idea how well I think it will work--

I'll dig it out and get pictures---remind me if I don't do this by this evening--

right right, theres a nut holding the arm on. Hmm you think if you took off the arm and fliped it and put it on backwards, then switched the side where the ball is (probaily saw off the other side of the arm) it would work?
Either that or make a new arm or rip the old one off the stocker.?

Ok So i had the guy at the exhaust shop cut off the ball and reposition it to the proper location. Im going over to get it right now... I will have pics and hopefully it will be with the new T-body on

Ok so I got it on and It works......

So I had that ball cut and re welded in a new position...

100_2613.jpg

100_2614.jpg

100_2615.jpg

And here what it looks like once I first get it on..

100_2616.jpg

100_2617.jpg

100_2618.jpg

100_2619.jpg

Now the tps sensor on.. Had a mustang one lying around...
100_2620.jpg

100_2621.jpg

Now the Throttle bracket and cables hooked up..

100_2622.jpg

100_2623.jpg

Put the Old intake tube on

100_2625.jpg

I need to fine tune it still having a minor issue with the kickdowncable but it works. Nothing is ever just "Bolt-on"

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I hope that I can do something with a Mustang TB when I get to doing mine. I'm glad to see that you worked it out.
I swapped an 88 GT engine into an 86 Crown Vic in 1993. I used an 86-93 Mustang TB and fabricated longer throttle cables to work on the "reversed intake". I've had top play with that stuff also, using a common part like the Mustang TB is usually best, because future changes are then very easy. Regards,

Back