Throttle body install

kert0307

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Pella, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Sport and '89 B2
I installed my Power throttle body today. It it the 70mm one for the 96-04 mustang. Install went really easy, unbolt the old and bolt on the new. There is a little more slack in the throttle cable now, but nothing to worry about. Throttle response was drastically improved. I can also hear my k&n intake suck in air with all the windows up. I was really surprised about how dirty my old throttle body was too. It almost looks as bad as the one Aldive posted once. Here's a couple picts.

2063841_64_full.jpg

2063841_65_full.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

is that a OHV or SOHC mod?

zhanx said:
is that a OHV or SOHC mod?

Definitely SOHC. The TB bolts right up. His is the BBK. I had the same TB on my old SOHC equipped Sport for a bit, but the guy who sold it to me (via eBay) neglected to tell me about a broken adjustment screw. I replaced it with a Ford Racing version (same one Aldive posted about). I preferred the Ford version. Felt a bit more solid and it comes stock with a TPS for around the same price as BBK. BBK looks a bit cooler, but you can't really see it anyhow once bolted up. I have one for sale actually if anyone interested. Only has a few months on it (I traded in Sport on the Eddie in November and it won't fit on the 5.0). PM if interested.

M9926D462.jpg

mountaineergree said:
Looks like a good mod.....I may have to look into that.

There are no aftermarket TBs that bolt right up to the 5.0 TB like this one does for the 4.0 SOHC. I scored an OEM TB off of eBay. Guy does porting and polishing. Seemed to make a subtle difference. My idle and throttle response seems a lot smoother since the install.

i want one. will the throttle body from a 5.0 mustang work?

[QUOTE='97 V8]i want one. will the throttle body from a 5.0 mustang work?[/QUOTE]

Not straight up. I know that Mustang 5.0 owners look for Explorer 5.0 TBs all the time on eBay, but they have to make some sort of linkage mod to make it work on the Mustang. I have no idea of it's easy to make a Mustang TB work on a 5.0 Explorer or Mounty like yours.

TTT

My TB just sold.

so there is no throttle body that you can get that will mount up to an OHV?

Back