Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2002 - 2005 Explorer Mountaineer 3rd Generation > Modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers

Notices

Modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers Questions related to modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers and Mountaineers. For Sport Trac and Sport models use the 1995-2001 forum. Aftermarket accessories and modifications. Bullbar, running boards, floor mats, cargo mat, DVD headrest, wheels, tires, stereo upgrade, headlights, mud flaps, lift kits, engine swap, transmission swap.

What would it take?

Old 10-30-2012, 08:08 AM   #1
ssalvi
Central MA
04 Ford Explorer NBX

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
What would it take?

What would it take to put a set of BFG AT's on my 04 Explorer?
LT 315 / 70 R 17

New wheels? 6" lift? Is it even worth it?

I have the availability to get 5 of these tires for $400. I need tires anyway that are going to run me about a grand new, so I was thinking if I can get a lift and everything for the same $$$ it's worth it.
ssalvi is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:46 AM   #2
HiImBrian
Elite Explorer
St. Petersburg, Florida

2003 Explorer Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssalvi View Post
What would it take to put a set of BFG AT's on my 04 Explorer?
LT 315 / 70 R 17

New wheels? 6" lift? Is it even worth it?

I have the availability to get 5 of these tires for $400. I need tires anyway that are going to run me about a grand new, so I was thinking if I can get a lift and everything for the same $$$ it's worth it.
315's are super fat tires. I can't recall seeing an explorer with anything wider than 285's. Off the top of my head you'd need new wheels with the correct backspacing, a suspension lift and a body lift. The lift alone will run you at least $800; never mind the new wheels. Even then I think you'll have some clearance issues.

I say take the good deal then sell them for a profit. Then go out and buy your tires.

MMR Stage 2 Heads - Ported Bullitt Intake - BanksPower TransCommand - CodeAlarm Remote Start - Hunter Brushguard - Custom Roof Basket - 3rd Cat Cutout - Straightpiped/Magnaflow Catback - 3" Body Lift - 2.25/1.75 BTF Spacers - F-150 Towhooks - 2" Wheel Spacers - HID's - 265/70/17's - EGR & PCV System Delete - AND MORE!
My Registry: HiImBrian's Beachcomber
HiImBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:26 AM   #3
Ronin8002
Elite Explorer
Virginia
2008 XLT Ironman

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
It's going to cost you a lot more than $1000 to get those to fit. Best just to either pass on them or buy with intent to resell for profit. You can fit 265/75/16 or 265/70/17 on there now with no or minimal lift (ie, the $50 1.5" body lift). Also, Treadwright makes the Warden (almost an exact copy of the bfg at) in those sizes for about 120 a tire.

Mods: 265/70/17 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ on 17x8 Black Rock Viper 900B wheels, Bentley style grille, Raptor style LED grille lights, Pacer performance clearance lights, 30" 180W LED light bar behind grille, BTF upper control arms, Fox 2.0 5" travel emulsion coilover shocks in front/rear Truxx spacers, 1" body lift, front skidplate under radiator, recovery shackle mounts
My Rig:http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...47#post3004247
Ronin8002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:38 AM   #4
05Eddie4me
Dallas
2005 Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

285 width is about as wide as you can fit, but it requires trimming and lift. Anything larger than 285 will need either a spacer or more offset to bring them out, so they don't rub on the steering knuckles, but then you will have your tires stick out about an inch or so outside of the wheel well, and I personally don't like that look.

I have a set of 265/70/17, about 2 inches larger than stock, on stock wheels and they fill the wheel well nice and don't rub at all, they are also 20mm wider, so about 3/4 of an inch wider as well. 285 were fitted just because i wanted to see how they fit, and they FILLED the wheel wells, no way to run those without a lift and MAJOR trimming as far as I could see.

Airbox mod, Magnaflow #12286, Dynamat doors and liftgate/glass, 265/70/17 Yokohama Geolander A/Ts on stock wheels.
05Eddie4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:19 PM   #5
AlexSport'00
Elite Explorer
Florida

2000 Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Those are basically 35"s man (Standard size: 34.4x12.4/17). Not an easy thing to just fit on there. Definitely going to need a lift. I'd say buy them, resell them for more, and buy some tires that fit your truck now (or with minimal lift).
Or, a much more fun option, SAS!!!!!!!!

Wait what? No trans?? Whoa, it looks like Sport is evolving *cue Pokemon music*
AlexSport'00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:04 AM   #6
ssalvi
Central MA
04 Ford Explorer NBX

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Thanks guys...I had a feeling it would be a nightmare. Sounds like a future project maybe?
ssalvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:22 AM   #7
HiImBrian
Elite Explorer
St. Petersburg, Florida

2003 Explorer Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssalvi View Post
Thanks guys...I had a feeling it would be a nightmare. Sounds like a future project maybe?
For you and everyone else in here :bigthumbup:

MMR Stage 2 Heads - Ported Bullitt Intake - BanksPower TransCommand - CodeAlarm Remote Start - Hunter Brushguard - Custom Roof Basket - 3rd Cat Cutout - Straightpiped/Magnaflow Catback - 3" Body Lift - 2.25/1.75 BTF Spacers - F-150 Towhooks - 2" Wheel Spacers - HID's - 265/70/17's - EGR & PCV System Delete - AND MORE!
My Registry: HiImBrian's Beachcomber
HiImBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:51 PM   #8
Wills05xlt4x4
Elite Explorer
Ashland Va

2005 Xlt 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Once I get my gears in I want to possibly run a 34" tire but that'd be pushing it....

Factory DVD, third row, rear A/C, Moon roof, Advancetrac RSC, Tow package, Leather everything, Eddie Bauer running boards.MODS- deep transmission pan w/dipstick, 1.5" Body lift, Expedition front tow hooks, Treadwright Guard Dog M/T 265-75/16 C Ply, Telescoping steering wheel mod, 4.56 gears limited slip front and rear,brembo brakes,front skid plate, Cb.FUTURE MODS-rock sliders, oba, steel front bumper w/ warn VR12000, possibly a M90
Wills05xlt4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page