03 lincoln aviator | Page 16 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

03 lincoln aviator

The gasket is reusable so I wouldn't be too concerned their unless yours is messed up. From my understanding it's the coils inside the solenoid that can't be rebuilt but again I could be completely wrong. Yes I know the 32v dohc is a different engine and yes mine was the sohc 4.6l but I was just referencing that a mustang plenum and bbk 75mm bolted right up. From your other post it seemed like a lot of the 2v, 32v and mustang gt and cobra parts were somewhat interchangeable. Correct me if I'm wrong but your using the 83lb lighter aluminum 2v long block with aviator dohc and supercharger from cobra. Also your using the 2v knock sensor setup mounted somewhere other than the valley due to fords design of not using knock sensors with the cobra supercharger. Is the upper intake that different on the dohc as far as mounting points?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Never mind that was 2000streetrod that put up that other post I was referring too.

The gasket is reusable so I wouldn't be too concerned their unless yours is messed up. From my understanding it's the coils inside the solenoid that can't be rebuilt but again I could be completely wrong. Yes I know the 32v dohc is a different engine and yes mine was the sohc 4.6l but I was just referencing that a mustang plenum and bbk 75mm bolted right up. From your other post it seemed like a lot of the 2v, 32v and mustang gt and cobra parts were somewhat interchangeable. Correct me if I'm wrong but your using the 83lb lighter aluminum 2v long block with aviator dohc and supercharger from cobra. Also your using the 2v knock sensor setup mounted somewhere other than the valley due to fords design of not using knock sensors with the cobra supercharger. Is the upper intake that different on the dohc as far as mounting points?
They can be rewound but normally easier to replace..

The 32v aviator and 32v mustang share no similar parts at all when it comes to intake parts..the motor in the aviator is the same as the Mach1 tho..the Aviators intake ""should"" only share the tb as the 2v 4.6,thats it..it doesnt use a plenum like the 2v..

No my motor is a stock 32v dohc aviator motor,it does have knock sensors in the valley and is the aluminum block..

Have you looked at the thread I'm talking about? I'll have to check it out again but 2000streetrod list part numbers and interchangeability of parts. He's using 2v Romeo block with 32v dohc and eventually a cobra supercharger. The head gaskets pistons/connecting rods camshaft oil pump and pan as well as water pump are interchangeable between the two engines. He is using the Mach 1 intake manifold which uses the dual plate oval throttle body instead of the single plate throttle body the aviator uses (the only difference between aviator and Mach 1 intake manifolds). He is also using harmonic balancer from a mark-vii because it's suppose to be the beefiest of the 4.6l engines. Also it's only the cobra engine that does not use the knock sensors. The explorer, aviator, and Mach 1 all use knock sensors in the valley.

Have you looked at the thread I'm talking about? I'll have to check it out again but 2000streetrod list part numbers and interchangeability of parts. He's using 2v Romeo block with 32v dohc and eventually a cobra supercharger. The head gaskets pistons/connecting rods camshaft oil pump and pan as well as water pump are interchangeable between the two engines. He is using the Mach 1 intake manifold which uses the dual plate oval throttle body instead of the single plate throttle body the aviator uses (the only difference between aviator and Mach 1 intake manifolds). He is also using harmonic balancer from a mark-vii because it's suppose to be the beefiest of the 4.6l engines. Also it's only the cobra engine that does not use the knock sensors. The explorer, aviator, and Mach 1 all use knock sensors in the valley.
I have and you have some details wrong..he's using a aviator block not 2v.the aviators aluminum block is the 2nd strongest aluminum block,the mustang WAP being the first...he also is using the complete upper and lower manifolds from a mach 1..the Aviators have dual variable length lower intake manifolds,the Mach do not..

As ive stated its not worth the cost to do a cobra supercharger swap on these motor..finding ALLLLLLLL the parts to do it is very very hard and very costly..there is much much more than getting a cobra supercharger and lower mount..he will soon find that out and if hes planning on it down the road then he should stop buying parts for a regular dohc and start getting them from a cobra,hes already spent hundreds on parts that are totally worthless when or if he decides to swap.

Also he should have done a big bore kit and or a stroker kit if he was buying new forged rods and pistons,he left a good amount of power on the table for not much more cost...

To do the swap cost around $2500-3000....you can spend half that doing a bolt on vortech kit or a rear/mid turbo and make double the power..

Here is a thread that list ALL the parts with pictures and cost..more to it than most think..
http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=71833

You maybe right he has two threads and one says he is using the Romeo instead of the Windsor. But I do know you can bolt on the dohc to a Romeo use Romeo camshaft push rods and aviator oil pump and as well as water pump and probabaly a few other accessories. Sorry should of said he's using upper and lower intake. My point was just that these engines are not completely different but definitely do have differences. Sorry to steer away from your thread let's get back on track so we can see you on the track!

You maybe right he has two threads and one says he is using the Romeo instead of the Windsor. But I do know you can bolt on the dohc to a Romeo use Romeo camshaft push rods and aviator oil pump and as well as water pump and probabaly a few other accessories. Sorry should of said he's using upper and lower intake. My point was just that these engines are not completely different but definitely do have differences. Sorry to steer away from your thread let's get back on track so we can see you on the track!
Lol o yea all the parts are interchangeable but depending on which parts it may take more of the same motors parts to attach to it..

And its all good,i get off topic alot anyways . good ole car talk,cant help it..lol

You obviously know your stuff and I'm just going off what I read so to other readers keep that in mind. I was just under the assumption the explorer, aviator and Mack one had a lot of similarities. We all know how ford likes universal parts and wiring harnesses to save money. Obviously a sohc is going to be different than a dohc. Also I think street rod has been collecting junkyard parts and I thought his aviator engine was too damaged to use but obviously he got that sorted out. If I could find a svt cobra at the yard they want $200 for supercharger and have 50% off days. Obviously I would need a complete intake that has room for intercooler but if you can find the parts a Frankenstein build could save you some good money. They want $100 for a block but have yet to find an aviator and correct me if I'm wrong but mustangs use the heavier cast block. I think the dohc heads with cam are $80 and $60 with out cams. So in theory the parts could be had for under a $1000 then whatever machining and seal/bolts cost plus some unknowns like wiring. This is no where in my future but if my ex breaks I would like to park it and eventually build it.

You obviously know your stuff and I'm just going off what I read so to other readers keep that in mind. I was just under the assumption the explorer, aviator and Mack one had a lot of similarities. We all know how ford likes universal parts and wiring harnesses to save money. Obviously a sohc is going to be different than a dohc. Also I think street rod has been collecting junkyard parts and I thought his aviator engine was too damaged to use but obviously he got that sorted out. If I could find a svt cobra at the yard they want $200 for supercharger and have 50% off days. Obviously I would need a complete intake that has room for intercooler but if you can find the parts a Frankenstein build could save you some good money. They want $100 for a block but have yet to find an aviator and correct me if I'm wrong but mustangs use the heavier cast block. I think the dohc heads with cam are $80 and $60 with out cams. So in theory the parts could be had for under a $1000 then whatever matching and seal/bolts cost. This is no where in my future but if my ex breaks I would like to park it and eventually build it.
Mustangs got aluminum blocks also,2 different ones.the WAP is the block you want and your pay over $500 just for the block..they also make about 6 different heads and 2 different styles . .the heads you want are from a 05 aviator that the casting end in ""DC"" thats the best and only heads worth getting.almost all other models had issues . .

Dohc heads go for around $500 a piece empty and sometimes damaged . .they are not cheap by any means..hell it costed me $1000 to have new seats and valve job done on my heads..was cheaper than getting used ""DC"" heads..the DOHC is the most expensive motor anyone can build..click that link and it will show you ALL the parts..there is about 30+ major rare parts to do a cobra supercharger swap,not including hardware or small parts..much much more than the charger and intake

I'm just going off my local junk yard prices. If I could find an aviator I could get block heads and cams for $260 but I've yet to find one. Mustangs on the other hand they have a bunch. There is an 04 their now that had most of the engine left. Yes I know I want the heads that have 9 threads instead of 4. My old 02 blew two plugs one of which was on a 1600 mile road trip maybe an hour into the drive home. Had to drive it like that to closest auto parts store and heli cool it in parking lot.

I'm just going off my local junk yard prices. If I could find an aviator I could get block heads and cams for $260 but I've yet to find one. Mustangs on the other hand they have a bunch. There is an 04 their now that had most of the engine left. Yes I know I want the heads that have 9 threads instead of 4. My old 02 blew two plugs one of which was on a 1600 mile road trip maybe an hour into the drive home. Had to drive it like that to closest auto parts store and heli cool it in parking lot.
Well if they do ever get a aviator or 4.6 DOHC motor in for that price,get 2..i will paypal you and arrange shipment ASAP!!

Also there is 2 different casting that had the 9 thread plugs (DB) and (DC) but the DB had seat issues . .thats the heads i have..

http://www.terminator-cobra.com/castings.htm

Might shoot you a pm with pictures later to see if some parts are worth grabbing if you don't mind. This yard has cheap prices a trans goes for $100 I think transfer case is a little more. Everything is returnable and comes with 30 day warranty and you can purchase extended warranty

Might shoot you a pm with pictures later to see if some parts are worth grabbing if you don't mind. This yard has cheap prices a trans goes for $100 I think transfer case is a little more. Everything is returnable and comes with 30 day warranty and you can purchase extended warranty
Go for it.im at work all day so might take a bit..i dont know much about trannys though,especially the awd models..

My 5r55s and truck is 2wd..im a motor guy and this was first dohc ever but done months of research . .lol

Im almost positive ther is multiple 4.6l dohc mustang engines their. I'm headed there in the next hour I will pm you to see what's worth grabbing. Problem is I only have the ex but could borrow a truck. They have engine craines but not sure if there is a cost involved with that. Being that you can't bring jacks or hoists of any kind I'd assume they will rent or pull engine for you for safety reasons.

Not in the market for a trans I'll just let this one Grenada itself, lol. If anything I'd just replace valve body low reverse solenoid and maybe the o ring fix it already has a new factory solenoid in it. You can hear some noises in transfer case but either every transfer case their has the same problem or it's just normal.

Make me drool, about ten years ago I was thinking of hunting an Aviator and making the Cobra parts work with it. You've done the research that makes the hardest part easy, if people look for it.

It still amazes me that Ford got the huge DOHC engine into the mid sized SUV, and the 2nd gen trucks have no space for exhaust manifolds. Just minor design changes and the 3rd gen takes the big engine, funny.

Got my deep pan with dipstick and valve body yesterday , the solenoids will be in on Monday . .

Pan is a nice unit for sure,was gonna throw some paint on it but might not now..maybe some blue pinstripes . .

20161106_201002_zpsa0400atp.jpg

20161106_201039_zpsuy9cdwag.jpg

20161106_201217_zps4k4eeosx.jpg

Clear coat it and be done, it's pretty as is.

What's that hole on the side for in pic #2? Is that for the trans cooler line?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back