• Register Today It's free!

4.0 TDC no cylinder head

Sacman320

Reaction score
City, State
Selma, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 mountaineer premier
Hello guys, please forgive me if this is already been discussed. I have a 2010 mercury mountaineer 4.0 V6 it broke the timing chain a while back Will it’s been worked on and the cylinder heads have been removed without it being set to top dead center on the compression stroke. now that there’s no cylinder heads how would I find top dead center on the compression stroke with no head attached? Please help I don’t know what to do.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Doesn't matter if no camshaft or timing chains. At this point tdc is tdc
I appreciate it. That’s what I was thinking. I’ve already done this one time with cylinder heads on. I didn’t want to mess up and do it again the wrong way thank you very much.

Cyl 1 is at the top
Mark on crank lines up with pointer you are at tdc

There is no head so this is not btdc or atdc you are at tdc, the cams will be timed to this position by you

Good
Luck! The tools are not expensive, pretty sure you can even rent them

So I have another question. I also have an 02 with the same issue. While working on that one I didn’t realize the rockers had to stay in sequence. How should I go about solving that issue?

What do you mean stay in sequence? You mean install the rockers back with the valve they are married too originally? Unless your parts have unusual wear with these modern engines it is okay to put them back not in order… just inspect each part as they go back together and replace any that are worn

What do you mean stay in sequence? You mean install the rockers back with the valve they are married too originally? Unless your parts have unusual wear with these modern engines it is okay to put them back not in order… just inspect each part as they go back together and replace any that are worn
Would I be better off to replace all of the rocker arms? I’m not sure how I would know if they are worn or not.

Visual inspection of the parts
Wear would be obvious any gouges or pockets worn into the metal, one of the rockers may look different than the other 11?
Look where the rocker pushes on the valve and also where the cam pushes on the rocker, basically you just compare all the parts…
Chances are good that all 12 are fine if nothing jumps out

So I am having issues finding balance shaft mounting bolts. If I can’t find the correct bolts line, I’m going to remove the balance shaft and plug the oil port. I’m just not sure where they’re located. Any help with the bolts on a website or advice on removal of the shaft?

Back