Votes: 27 6.9%
  • Single exit 70 series 2.5" tailpipe-rear cats removed

Votes: 53 13.5%
  • Single exit with 3" tailpipe-rear cats removed

Votes: 81 20.6%
  • Other--please specify in post

Votes: 70 17.8%

• Total voters
unless one of your front 2 cats needs to be replaced, this seems like a lot of work/time/effort for something that will show minimal gains. You'd be better off putting the money you'd spend towards a custom tune from James @ Henson Performance.

I did this mod last year. It was a pain in the rear for my muffler guy but he got them in there snug and replaced most of the piping leading to the collector to 2.5. Not all the way to the collector but about 15-18'' from the collector flange. Didn't change the power too much no. But I did it because I just re-built my motor and wanted it to breath as much as possible. Here's the link to where I got them. http://www.ebay.com/itm/400197738051?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks, Shadowless. I actually already have an SCT programmer and it was in fact tuned by James. It was a pleasure dealing with him.

I was just worried that the performance of the headers would be drastically limited by the stock cats.

Looks good!

Maybe I am seeing things, or missing something, but is that just an 02 sensor hanging out back there? whats the point of it all the way back there?

Sorry... I missed a response on this lol... The sensor is for my A/F gauge :D Haha... Originally was way back here because of the remote mount turbo setup... Now it really could be closer up but I was too lazy to relocate it... it is now hooked up and such :D

Not to hijack this post, but would anyone be looking for some torque monster headers for a 5.0? it has the egr hole, and was going to go on a 98 explorer. I'm probably in the wrong section again, but I am fairly new here, thanks and sorry again.

Try for sale section but yes they will sell quickly I'm sure.

How much did you guys pay to have a 2.5" dual in single out welded to the smaller 2.25" cats and a new 2.5" tailpipe made and mounted?

Hey guy,
I've read this forum all the time but this is my first day as a member and also first post I've done.... sorry to sound like a noob but i was just wondering whether people perfer the Gibson exhaust over the dynomax? Or is there something better? I'm looking for the best aggressive exhaust for a cheaper price. Please let me know thanks

Hey guy,
I've read this forum all the time but this is my first day as a member and also first post I've done.... sorry to sound like a noob but i was just wondering whether people perfer the Gibson exhaust over the dynomax? Or is there something better? I'm looking for the best aggressive exhaust for a cheaper price. Please let me know thanks

Welcome.

The bolt on kits will be expensive, and the stock exhaust is so small that those aftermarket kits are also low flowing.

If sound is your goal, you should be able to pick a muffler and have it installed for under $100, from the cat pipes end, back to the tip.

This thread can help you pick a muffler, the kits have limited choices.

If anyone wants big flow(power) gains, no kit will help, and the whole system has to go, converting to full dual exhaust. That means two cat pipes, two mufflers, and two tail pipes, all pipes being at least 2.5", and the headers scrapped. Good luck,

Hey i was wondering if after the second set of cats could i just put a muffler and a turn down tail pipe on or would the loss of pip on my exhaust cool down my exhaust temp to much to soon and hurt my engine?

Hey i was wondering if after the second set of cats could i just put a muffler and a turn down tail pipe on or would the loss of pip on my exhaust cool down my exhaust temp to much to soon and hurt my engine?

It doesn't matter at all. What you do to the exhaust after the exhaust manifolds(the collector), is not critical.

The whole exhaust is way too restrictive, too small for the given 302 V8. Any improvements in airflow are good things to do. Ignore any remarks about back pressure being a positive or needed thing. Back pressure is bad, it is never good.

The only gains to be had from scavenging(pulling exhaust from one part by another part(pipes passing each other etc)), are done near the collectors(which are at the front of the transmission of these trucks). You cannot create meaningful scavenging past the collectors. That is, there is an ideal point to locate a cross over pipe, and only there can any slight gain be had from the cross over.

Check out any drag racing tech to read how that point is located. You will find that it's not feasible for most street vehicles to place that ideal cross over where it needs to go. Thus every vehicle you see with a cross over has it located too far back, too far to create any reduction of pressure at the cross over point.

So, open up the exhaust as much as you can, the only result possible is an airflow increase, which is very good. If you do a great job of improving airflow, you can cause the engine to need more fuel to restore the ideal air/fuel ratios. The computer is very good, but if you improve air flow enough, the PCM programming will need to be retuned, to add fuel because it's running too lean.

Any engine that begins to run too lean or too rich will produce less power, because it is no longer properly tuned. The goal should always be maximum air flow, and tune the PCM to provide the ideal air/fuel ratio. It just like modifying a carb'ed engine, you adjust the jets in the carb to obtain the fastest times(the ideal air/fuel ratios).

Quick clip I made yesterday of a quick drive-by because of traffic I wasn't able to get an all out WOT to a decent speed on camera. I'll try to here at some point soon though! She's starting to pull together nicely.:)

Hey Tek.. What headlight housing is that? Sorry off exhaust subject.

Hey Tek.. What headlight housing is that? Sorry off exhaust subject.

I got it from E-bay. Type in Ford Explorer Projector Headlight Halo. I wish I would have waited because now they have a kit like what I have but with the CCFL style Halos instead of the LED one like I got.

Awesome.. And would the house work fine with HIDs and such and project properly?

Awesome.. And would the house work fine with HIDs and such and project properly?

I got Xentec 5000k bulbs in them have had HID's in them all together for over a year with no problems overall. I put some quality ballasts in them which whitened and brighten them a bit more and work just fine. If you want I can try to take some pics at night and post them on your truck's thread if ya like.

I got Xentec 5000k bulbs in them have had HID's in them all together for over a year with no problems overall. I put some quality ballasts in them which whitened and brighten them a bit more and work just fine. If you want I can try to take some pics at night and post them on your truck's thread if ya like.

Yeah, that would be awesome :D Thank you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tejUiBisUDo&feature=g-upl

Quick clip I made yesterday of a quick drive-by because of traffic I wasn't able to get an all out WOT to a decent speed on camera. I'll try to here at some point soon though! She's starting to pull together nicely.:)

word cant describe how much i love that lopey idle.

I'm running side pipes on my 5.0 :D two thrush glass pack mufflers (basically resonators) coming from the secondary cats right to 2" dual tail pipes exiting flush with the running board on the passenger side. inspection legal, and sounds great. kinda raspy, but in a nasty beefy 302 kinda way. SUPER loud outside the cabin but nice and subtle inside. picked up some noticeable low-end torque from it too :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I used a Summit brand dual exhaust kit for a v8 swapped s10. Obviously was cut up some and welded, but I'm super happy with it. The muffler is a chambered design and sounds great.

522968_330138677085080_1852501582_n.jpg

also running headers made by me

337965_149539648478318_1423859571_o.jpg

Back