Torsion bar twist? How Far? How High? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Torsion bar twist? How Far? How High?

cloud2or3

Reaction score
City, State
Burnaby, BC, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer Limited SOHC
1997 Explorer Limited V6 SOHC

I got some new shocks (KYB MonoMax) a couple months ago, everything was great for about a week, now I'm riding low - super low. Bottoming out over speed bumps etc. actually feel like a lowered car in the front lol.

So I ordered new replacement shocks - KYB MonoMax (again).

Not sure if that is the right direction, or if the torsion bars just need raising. Not sure how they would have lowered. Alignment was done BEFORE new shocks were installed, height was good. Had shocks installed, height wasnt adjusted, was great for a week, then I was on the ground practically in the front.

Hope that all makes sense...

My question - How much height is gained by 1 full turn of the torsion bolt? Going to try this method first before installing new shocks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Shocks should have little or no effect on ride height with torsion bar suspensions. Did BOTH sides drop?

Be aware when adjusting the torsion bolts, camber and toe will change, and alignment should be checked.

Also, and if possible, take pics of the rubber bump stop clearance from the lower control arms on both sides.

Searched your past posts and saw the "Wonky Front Suspension" thread. IF you used Raybestos or Moog premium grade lower control arms for your front end rebuild, this thread regarding "slipping" torsion bars in loose fitting LCA hexes may be a possibility. Raybestos LCA pics are missing thanks to "third party" pics from PhotoBucket.

IFS Heavy Duty Upgrades! | Page 4 | Ford Explorer and Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

IFS Heavy Duty Upgrades! | Page 8 | Ford Explorer and Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

Shocks should have little or no effect on ride height with torsion bar suspensions. Did BOTH sides drop?

Be aware when adjusting the torsion bolts, camber and toe will change, and alignment should be checked.

Yes, both sides dropped. And I know I'll be looking at another alignment post bolt adjustment.

Searched your past posts and saw the "Wonky Front Suspension" thread. IF you used Raybestos or Moog premium grade lower control arms for your front end rebuild, this thread regarding "slipping" torsion bars in loose fitting LCA hexes may be a possibility. Raybestos LCA pics are missing thanks to "third party" pics from PhotoBucket.

IFS Heavy Duty Upgrades! | Page 4 | Ford Explorer and Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

IFS Heavy Duty Upgrades! | Page 8 | Ford Explorer and Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

Thanks so much for doing that extra footwork and searching my threads. YES, my hex holes are too big too! I've been telling every shop that I go to that this is my possibly the issue, and they keep saying "nope, impossible, no way that t-bar is rotating". I'm certain that is what is happening!

I'll post some pictures in a sec.

20171127_144309_HDR.jpg
20171127_144240_HDR.jpg
It's not so 'Fresh' right now but ignore the cleanliness lol. This pic it to show the ride height front and back.

Also, what are the chances that the torsion bars are worn compared to the Hex hole being too big on the LCA? Maybe our trucks need new TB's instead of new LCA's???

NICE truck and it looks great, what's wrong with that? JK, I'm lowered and love the look of moderately dropped trucks. LOL

Very possible your torsion bars are weakened, but they lose strength gradually, not like you describe in one week.

Hate to make you crawl on the ground, but could you snap pics of both LCA TB hexes from the front? Just curious.

Pics of hex...
20171030_103148.jpg
20171030_103159.jpg
20171030_104100_HDR.jpg
20171030_104112_HDR.jpg
20171030_104154_HDR.jpg

Thanks for the good pics. Definitely loose, but doubt they could have slipped one flat. From reading past threads, 1995-97 used Kevlar pads bonded to the torsion keys that are known to wear out, but I don't believe worn pads would cause that much of a drop. At this point I'd remove both torsion key covers and carefully inspect. Bump stop clearance? What's baffling is it happened to both sides at the same time. Has to be something very obvious.

I had these installed...

Suspension Maxx Maxxcam adjustable keys

large

Just remembered you from this "ARC" thread years ago.
Who has dumped their ARC for regular shocks? Recommendations please... |

Did you convert your 1997 torsion key setup to use those adjustable Maxxcam keys designed for 1998-01 that uses insulator blocks with pockets? Something has obviously slipped or broken, but I'm not familiar with the older Kevlar torsion key arrangement. Again, what's puzzling is it happened to both sides at the same time. Maybe you should contact Don (CDW6212R) who helped you before with great advice, or hopefully he will be chiming in here.

Don's "insulator" pics in links below.
Torsion Bar Adjusters (kevlar pad replacement?) | Ford Explorer and Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
Torsion bar pads?? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer and Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

Back