CALLING ALL NORTHERN CO GEARHEADS!! 4" lift project | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

CALLING ALL NORTHERN CO GEARHEADS!! 4" lift project

i think this is the right place for this thread.
As some know, ive been planning a 4" superlift on the old girl. well, its on its way, and ive finally found a garage! so, im extending an offer/request that anyone who finds themselves in fort collins in the next week (10-22 to 10-29ish) with some time to kill is invited to lend a hand. id like to pump this out in as little time as i can, so help is appreciated. ESPECIALLY if you know how to pull a torsion bar :thumbsup:.

Also, has anyone done a "how to" on the slf-k494? if not, i just might.

Heres the game plan.
-4" superlift part k494 97-01 explorer/mountaineer
-new ball joints
-new tie rod ends
-new CVs
-33" bfg mud terrains
-new rotors if i can $$$
-god knows what else ill run into

lastly, does anyone know where to get a front drive shaft that will work for that lift? superlift wants $400, which i dont want to part with.

Anyone interested, PM me or leave a reply.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When are you planning on doing your BL install, I'm still up for a wrenching party.

i'm not sure when the big day is... i'm open for suggestions! i'm test fitting the wheels/tires i'm gonna order tomorrow at 4 wheel parts, so i'm pretty pumped about that. so, whenever y'all are available i guess. i'll have a party :thumbsup: :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

brett-remember that front lca cross member that wouldnt mount flush? lefthand canyon fixed that lol. and everything else that wouldnt flush mount lol.

shes a champ on the trail though! such a good investment. just need a rear locker and 4406 and the black beast will be unstoppable

brett-remember that front lca cross member that wouldnt mount flush? lefthand canyon fixed that lol. and everything else that wouldnt flush mount lol.

shes a champ on the trail though! such a good investment. just need a rear locker and 4406 and the black beast will be unstoppable

Good to hear!

4406 kicks ass, I can only imagine what my truck would climb over if I had lockers too!

WOOT WOOT the 4406 has been in for a while but, that one of those damn U joint retaining strap bolts broke and it just came out today....and I have the Aussie for the rear sitting like four feet from me... :D

this is why tax returns rule.....:D

IM000051.jpg

going in next week!

O YES!!!! sweet

I am not sure what we are looking at, but I hope that I can stop by the install (even though my schedule is crap next week)

it is a part time, true 4x4, 4406 transfercase

yes that is a 4406. got the whole driveline for $600, little pricy but its all i could find. hey nick or brett, could you guys measure your rear drive shaft? i think i grabbed one from a 4.6 that was sitting in the cab of the 5.4 cuz it looks really short.

The rear drive shaft from the 4.6 is actually about 5" longer then the one from a 5.4, from Yoke-to-Yoke yours should be approx. 34"

The 4.6 is close to 39 or 40

ok sweet, thanks. i would invite people by but im doing this back home in the springs. one more question, i was reading mountaineer green's writeup, and he said some tabs need to be ground off. which ones?

Those two tabs near where your shift linkage is sitting on top of the case- I neglected to grind those off, they were touching the body. I ended up using a body working style method to fix my problem- I drilled small holes, threaded in screws and pried the body back. It was either that or pull the case again.

My suggestion is to have a helper and install and remove the case a few times to make sure it fully clears the body, if you suspect its touching, use wet paint on the case, install it, and look for transfer to the body. A mini sledge works great for making more room. :bfh: You don't want the case touching, it transmits drivetrain noise to the interior.

Back