car just stopped running and i need to get my kids | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

car just stopped running and i need to get my kids

reaper2012

Reaction score
City, State
northampton ma.
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 sport
my wife gets back from shopping (its her car)and tells me something is wrong with the car said it died out while driving and then didnt want to start back up again it took about ten min. to finally start.when i went to move it into the garage it started fine and then i turned it off went inside for about 5 and then went to start it and it was running really ruff stepped on the gas didn't want to rev was like it was bogging down wanted to stall,a couple small backfires.i then shut it off and it wouldn't start for almost ten min.during that time i tried to get the codes and that wouldn't work and i took off the maf snsor and tube checked that put it all back together and she started right up with no problem. going to take her for a ride see what happens. any ideas would be greatly appreciated.didn't make it out of the yard ran for about seven mins moving it up and down the driveway and it started running ruff and then died out

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

oh my... well, did the wife notice any lights on the dash or sounds before the vehicle stopped (within the last week or so)? Maint'nance all up to date?

everything is good there were no signs nor lights only check engine after truck died . just did brak pads and rotors and wheel bearings was going to do ball joints today all this to pass inspection and then this happens so ball joints didn't get done and i am almost out of cash and she needs this for college and the kids

the truck was running great and then it just died with no warning

Could be the fuel pump going out. When you turn the key to on, but don't start it, can you hear a whine from the rear of the truck? If not it probably means the fuel pump is shot.

Has the fuel filter been changed recently?

Has the fuel filter been changed recently?

I echo the last two...... you should be able to quickly change the fuel filter as it should be an inline?

I would press the fuel pump reset switch before anything else.....see if that helps! I had that happen on my 5.0 T-bird before.... I reset the fuel pump and all was right with the world

fuel pump good ,fuel filter i will do and i checked the shut off switch first thing

i am also planning on cleaning my egr valve and tube ,but for some reason can't seem to find it anybody know where it is .i feel like an idiot never had this much trouble before

replaced filter car still not running testing plugs wires and icm

interesting... you did get the kids, right? :) I'll step aside, these guys here know about these things best...

changed the plugs and wires tested the icm and everything is o.k. but the car still wont start, going to diconnect fuel line at filter and have somebody turn the car over and see if the pump is pumping fuel.yea i got the kids but my wife needs the truck to go to college on mon. its her last semester and she graduates and she can't miss any classes please help,any ideas at all.

just so you know it does turn over and trys to start ,you can feel it catch here and there

would a bad fpr cause the truck not to start and can you do a fuel pressure test without the car running ?

You can do a fuel pressure test with the engine off but with the key on. I believe you are suppose to get 35-45 psi. With the engine running at idle, around 25-35 psi.

Actually with it off, the FPR isn't doing anything since the motor will not be supplying vacuum. If you have a vacuum pump you can hook up to make it work, you do it that way. Either way, with the key on and motor off it should be around 60 psi. With the motor on it should be around 35-45 psi.

well i guess i will go buy a fuel pressure guage and see what it reads .thanks for the answers

here is something .when i went to depresserize the fuel system at the pressure guage connection(dont remember the name )all i got was air and no gas came out so i repressurized the system by turning key on and off several times and went and tried again the same thing happened. the fuel pump turns on and gauge said at least a quarter of a tank of gas. so is gas supposed to come out or what and if the fpr is bad will it still let pressure into the fuel rail?i think i am going to put a couple of gallons into the tank ,maybe gauge is wrong .never had problem with gauge before.running out of stuff to try and money.thanks for any help you can give me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

shure enough the gas gauge was off put three gallons in started right up,i am glad that i came across the thread with a couple people talking about their gauges being wrong, i was about ready to rip out the gas tank and check the pump.thanks to everybody for their advise

Back