Could multiple engine codes be a bad PCM or ICM | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Could multiple engine codes be a bad PCM or ICM

SirDino

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ranger
First of all my thanks to doontz for his May 2009 posting (http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255962) showing how to do the paper clip test on the OBD-I PCM, and to Joe Dirt for his video (same page) showing how to read the codes and for KOER. I never knew about KOER or the 'goose' test.

"We" have a 1994 Ford Ranger 3.0L automatic that was originally a parts runner and was probably driven like a go-kart. It won't pass emissions. The check engine light stays on unless I continually increase speed for 5 or 6 seconds at which point it will stay off for 14 seconds.

A few days ago day I replaced the:
EGR valve
PCV
Both O2 sensors
Vaccum line from charcoal canister to PCV
Changed the oil and filter
Duct taped a large hole in the charcoal canister
Changed spark plugs
Changed breather filter

Disconnected the battery for 20 mins. Test drove for 10 miles but CEL kept coming on and going off at a rate of on 10 seconds - off 2 minutes.

When I took it back to be tested again it failed even worse on the HC/NOx.

I got the following engine codes from the dash:
212 - Loss Of Ignition Diagnostic Module Input To PCM/SPOUT Circuit Grounded
332 - Insufficient EGR Flow Detected
538 - Insufficient RPM Change During KOER Dynamic Response Test

Someone else took the truck to a shop for a diagnostic test. They offered the following:

Codes: 212, 332, 538
Suggestions:
Replace EGR, ICM, PCM, Air intake boot, canister, cap & rotor, new ignition wires and plugs.

Any suggestions (besides the duct tape on the canister - LOL )? The EGR may or may not be bad but it's 8 days old so it's going back to the parts shop. Replacing the cap and rotor is a good call. But replace the ICM and PCM? At this point the shop seems like their taking the same route I did: replace the usual stuff and try again. Maybe that's all that CAN be done at this point.

Back