Flex fuel? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Flex fuel?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the articles. Based on them I do not think I will be buying any E85 gas. Why buy the stuff if it ends up costing you more. Also I heard by the time you process the stuff from corn to fuel it is really not all that much better for the environment. Remember to grow corn you need fertilizers and other chemicals that end up in our rivers and oceans which have various side effects. Here in Florida we get this stuff called red tide that stinks and kills fish. Its cause is fertilizer that gets dumped in the Gulf and causes excess algae growth. It's awful. Boy am I getting off topic? You decide.

I think the only positive note of having a flex fuel engine is that it's supposed to be designed to withstand the corrosive effect of ethanol, which should be a plus even if you always use regular gasoline, since there is about 10% ethanol premixed into regular gasoline anyway. Only time will tell what is all this premixed ethanol doing to the non-flex fuel engines in the long run.

My 2 big problems with it are that it takes more energy to produce a gallon of ethanol then it produces resulting in a net energy loss.....thus if the subsidies went away they would go broke. Also the corn used has raised corn prices world wide,end result many go hungry and I will stop there.:thumbdwn:

Ffv e-85 explorer 2013

Something I just learned after picking up my explorer is that if the car has to meet California's emissions is not allowed to have flex fuel.

When I picked up my ex, I noticed that it did not have the flex fuel badge nor did it have the yellow ring around the gas tank. After doing some googling, I have found that the state of California emissions prohibits ffv because they release too many nmog... (whatever that is) emissions before the engine temp reaches 200.

Not a deal breaker,but definitely a bit of a shock since I live in washington state (who accepted Cali's emissions). The man is holding me down and limiting my fuel options! Lol not that I'd ever use e85... But just saying... :)

Does anyone know if the 2013 3.5 l is flex fuel rated?

Yes.

I just brought home a 2013 Limited AWD V6 and it is NOT flex fuel rated. Not sure if that's the case with all models. My other car is a 2012 Dodge Journey. For some reason, the AWD Journey's do not support flex fuel, but the FWD versions do. Not sure if that's also the case for the Explorer.

Not. Isn't flex fuel 85% ethanol? My 2007 Eddie Bauer was flex fuel approved. Not the 2011 Limited, AFAIK.

I just brought home a 2013 Limited AWD V6 and it is NOT flex fuel rated. Not sure if that's the case with all models. My other car is a 2012 Dodge Journey. For some reason, the AWD Journey's do not support flex fuel, but the FWD versions do. Not sure if that's also the case for the Explorer.

Then your car is NOT a 2013. I have a 2013 V6 AWD Limited Explorer that is a flex fuel vehicle as are all the other 2013's that were on the lot.

Then your car is NOT a 2013. I have a 2013 V6 AWD Limited Explorer that is a flex fuel vehicle as are all the other 2013's that were on the lot.

Are you serious? You don't think I know the model year of the car I just spent close to $50k on? That's the only possible explation you can think of? There's obviously some other explanation. Maybe it's regional. Is E85 available in Arkansas? It's not available in VT, so maybe that's why there's a difference.

Are you serious? You don't think I know the model year of the car I just spent close to $50k on? That's the only possible explation you can think of? There's obviously some other explanation. Maybe it's regional. Is E85 available in Arkansas? It's not available in VT, so maybe that's why there's a difference.

Sorry didn't mean to insult your intelligence or get your panties in a wad. There possibly may be another reason that yours isn't E85. However I sincerely doubt that it is because of the state you purchased it in. I'm pretty sure that they don't build state specific cars with the exception of emission specifications (in that case E85 would be the cleaner fuel) Believe it or not cars are allowed to cross state lines.

Sorry didn't mean to insult your intelligence or get your panties in a wad. There possibly may be another reason that yours isn't E85. However I sincerely doubt that it is because of the state you purchased it in. I'm pretty sure that they don't build state specific cars with the exception of emission specifications (in that case E85 would be the cleaner fuel) Believe it or not cars are allowed to cross state lines.

There's obviously some reason why some are Flex Fuel and some aren't, so let's see if we can compare notes and figure it out. Any other ideas? Does yours have California Emmissions?

There's obviously some reason why some are Flex Fuel and some aren't, so let's see if we can compare notes and figure it out. Any other ideas? Does yours have California Emmissions?
No mine does not have California emissions. Is it possible that yours just isn't badged for E85? I've read of some instances of that happening. In that case it would still have the yellow ring around the gas cap though.

No mine does not have California emissions. Is it possible that yours just isn't badged for E85? I've read of some instances of that happening. In that case it would still have the yellow ring around the gas cap though.

No, mine has a black ring (no cap) that specifically says not to put E15-E85 in it. Mine does have California emissions. Maybe that's the deciding factor. We need more data points. Anyone else?

I haven't taken delivery yet, but my window sticker states it's an E85 Flex Fuel Vehicle.
It's a 2013 Limited 302A, V6, AWD, NO Towing package.

ETIS info states : FFV-(Ethanol) Fuel ; With 49 State/Non Green State Req.

Vehicle Line: Explorer
Body Style: 4 Door Wagon
Series: Ford Series
Engine: 3.5L V6 Cyclone TIVCT
Transmission: 6 Speed Auto Transmission 6F50
Drive: LHD 4WD (FTD)
Axle Ratio: 3.65 Final Drive Ratio
Emission: With 49 State/Non Green State Req
Air Conditioning: Dual Zone Auto Temp Control A/C
Paint: Kodiak Brown

I haven't taken delivery yet, but my window sticker states it's an E85 Flex Fuel Vehicle.
It's a 2013 Limited 302A, V6, AWD, NO Towing package.

Interesting That's one more without California emissions that does support flex fuel. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has one with California emissions that also supports flex fuel.

The 2013 I saw said "Flex Fuel" where my 2012 had the "4WD" logo ............ What's on your truck?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back