Full Foot Notch, Version 3, Rockwells and more | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Full Foot Notch, Version 3, Rockwells and more

well here starts the 3rd version of my truck, right now the 1ton HP D60 was pulled, and the guy paid me for it, and then i paid for front and rear rockwells

so here is the planned setup for this version

-1992 explorer
-4.0V6 (when the engine goes ill decide what goes in, 350k logged miles and still goin)
-carried over from the last setup, chucks SAS hanger kit, and 12" lift springs, which puts me at 19" for that

whats new:
-Front and rear 2.5 ton REO/Military Rockwell Axles, Ujoint style axles
-4" welded perch/stand in the front
-larger perches in the back to compensate for the smaller springs, also welded
-Oversized Ladder bar setup to eliminate any axle wrap
-crossover steering, with possible later addition of hydraulic ram assist
-36" shocks all around(specifically the pro comp 9000's, but if you do research, they are the exact same as the ranchos minus the rancho sticker)
-Wilwood wheel/Hub brake setup all around, with a soon the be fab'd custom hydraulic/cable hybrid parking brake
-20x10" 7"BS custom Steel rims
-either 12.5R20 or 385/80R20 tires, the first one is 41 tall, and the second one is 46" tall, the lift should clear 46s

-later on down the road it may be 4linked in the rear, but thats another $2k to get done

should :eek: :confused: :eek: :confused: :eek: people :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

god this truck is takin forever

I know how you feel buddy. My project started back in early 2002 and it's still not done...:( From the look of the photos, in this thread, you've done quite abit. Keep up the good work...:thumbsup:

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

PICT0096.jpg

PICT0097.jpg

PICT0095.jpg

pics of hte truck gettin worked on, the rear chunk has to come out due to the bowl being filled with what can only be described as thick pudding, so yeah, more time and money, but hey, i paid for a pullout axle and thats what i got.

the ranger in this pic is owned by the guy working on my truck, its a ranger with a 460 motor, and those are 44 boggers but it is usually on R1 tractor tires, it goes damn near anywhere

got a call, rims are ready, just gotta ship out the rest of my money to get em

What are you doing for you front drive shaft since the rockwell is on the left side....

yeah, but its a PITA to drill all the holes to turn the chunk around, plus the case drops on the correct side, so its all good

so how was your experience with usa6x6 were they as good as there web site claims

Get on pirate and ask about USA6x6.

yeah, my experience with USA6x6 was great, designed what i wanted, always kept me informed, competitive prices

and J602, everyone on pirate hates him due to old instances, but when the TTC trucks are runnin some of his rims he must be doin somethin right

yeah, my experience with USA6x6 was great, designed what i wanted, always kept me informed, competitive prices

and J602, everyone on pirate hates him due to old instances, but when the TTC trucks are runnin some of his rims he must be doin somethin right

Thanks for replyin> I got on Pirate and there was just to much crap to go through so i was just waiting on what you thought.....Do you have any info on the rockwell axles themselves...I am planning on making a front/rear coiled project....

i have a ****load of info on em, all depends on what ya need

goto www.offroadchat.com and register and ask, im on there along with ExplorerofDeath is also on there

I was looking on the widths and weights shaft sizes just doing my homework......

I looked over that site before and i finally found what i was looking for...

Where did you get your axles???

i got my axles from chucks trucks, i got mine for $1350 total, pullout condition, he now only sells them as rebuilt, so hence his higher price, but its nice because they do all the BS work that takes forever to do and pretty much breaks even(figure 200 in new bearings all around, $160 in wheel seals, $40 in new right hand studs, flushing the chunk and the bowel, $40 in boots)

USA6X6 sells them like the for 1400 for the front axle and 800 for the rear...Is this a good rate for them

That's cool, I'm just going by the majority report.

USA6x6...:thumbsup:

My exploder is still in the works but the rims I ordered through USA6x6 turned out really nice. They have good people working there.

Back