Going Up! (4X50 Exploder progress) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Going Up! (4X50 Exploder progress)

I know that it may not seem like much to many of you but for those like myself, sitting around with a bucket of rust and very little budget...

This is a 1950 Ford, F1 pickup body being installed on a '92 4X4 Explorer chasis. Also known as "Project Insanity".

I just had to post this because I feel like I got over a major speed bump tonight!

It's all I can do to come in from the "Man Cave" tonight when I know that a simple all-nighter would have the rest of the front end on by morning...

Attachments

• ttb web.jpg
    ttb web.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 2,201
  • Before_ After Rancho 999036 web.jpg
    Before_ After Rancho 999036 web.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 2,066
  • driver side shock web.jpg
    driver side shock web.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 2,080

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Small gain?

Little by little I'm getting closer... Set of 5, 35 x 12.5

Attachments

• tires.jpg
    tires.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 2,036

What springs are those? Keep the pics coming:thumbsup:

good work keep the pics coming

looks good keep up good work

What springs are those? Keep the pics coming:thumbsup:

SuperLift 5.5"

Man they are stiff, and taller than I was thinking... It's not even on the 35's yet and look where the top of the radiator is... BTW. I'm 6'4"

Wow, that's gonna be TALLL :) I'll have to watch for it when I'm in Spokane this summer...lol!

Wow, that's gonna be TALLL :) I'll have to watch for it when I'm in Spokane this summer...lol!

Well unless ya come over and hang out in my garage, you won't need to worrie about seeing it around town. I have no budget to hit the road that soon.

Actually, It may end up on Craig's List before it's completed. My Father just passed and it looks like the family will be selling this property so they can put a few bucks in their pocket...

i like it! man that looks clean!
where did you get your extended radius arms?

i wouldnt be concerned about it being too tall. those springs will sag an inch maybe and soften up with a few months of driving.

i like it! man that looks clean!
where did you get your extended radius arms?

The front lift components are all SuperLift except the F-250 shock towers and the Rancho 999036 shocks.

Those are superlift arms? I didn't think they looked like that.

As far as the height goes, I've got the Superlift 5.5 and 35's and it's not that bad. I'm 6'1" and the top of the rad support pushes on my chest or lower when I look under the hood.

Those are superlift arms? I didn't think they looked like that.

As far as the height goes, I've got the Superlift 5.5 and 35's and it's not that bad. I'm 6'1" and the top of the rad support pushes on my chest or lower when I look under the hood.

Yea, theyr'e SuperLift Extended radius arms ordered back in Jan. It looks like it will be 6-8" higher than this photo till the springs settle in.

SuperLift Radius Arms

Here's a better look at them next to the stock arms.

Attachments

• IMG_0420 web.jpg
    IMG_0420 web.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 1,917

Talk about P.O!

Picked up a couple spindles this Friday from the Bone Yard so that I could get the rest of the front end together this weekend... Come to find out, they gave me the frigin' wrong ones so I could only get one side done because they have the weekend off!

Oh well, I guess some progress is better than none. Try again Tuesday...

Attachments

• IMG_0977 web.jpg
    IMG_0977 web.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 1,901
  • Pass side.jpg
    Pass side.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 1,890

Very nice:thumbsup: Dont sell it after that much work man! We gotta see the final project!!

Or, if you MUST sell, then make sure you reccomend them to EF so they can post updates haha

Long time comming! Finally reaady to mount tires and flip it around in the garage to start the SOA. OOPS, Forgot about brake lines...

Attachments

• driver side shock web.jpg
    driver side shock web.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 1,887

Looks Different tonight!

Went to pull her out of the garage tonight so I could move the boat and turn her around and start working on the SOA. First thing I noticed?

She's too tall to get out of the door! Lucky, I can disconnect the door opener and raise the door a few more feet.

Sure seamed funny sitting the cab on the chassis for the first time. Gave me a great feeling, like this may all be worth while after all!

Attachments

• IMG_0994 web.jpg
    IMG_0994 web.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 1,848
  • IMG_0995 web.jpg
    IMG_0995 web.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 1,858
  • IMG_0993 web.jpg
    IMG_0993 web.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 1,837

very nice!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks,

I put the SuperRunner Steering package on, loosely, for now so I could move her and see how much drop I need for extending the mounting point for the tie rods. The rest of the package has already been beefed up...

Attachments

• steering web.jpg
    steering web.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 1,811

Back