got my 06+ taillights!! need option... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

got my 06+ taillights!! need option...

ghoster

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island , NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer Eddie Bauer
got my 06+ taillights!! need opinion..PICS!

meet up w/ not8taxi yesterday and got the tails he was selling

going to install them 2day but was wondering what you guys think of color matching the dark part of the taillight..

i'm going to be making a LED board and convert it all to LEDs and smoking the lense a little..but not sure if color matching the taillight would look nice
attachment.php

my truck
roja2080.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i never noticed that the 06 up tails are the same. im new and just picked up 2 X's last week. thats good to know. by the way truck is sweet too brother.

ok so they are installed...
now do i paint them to match or no?
i know its kinda sloopy but i was in a rush to do it to see how it would look
P3310407.jpg

colormatched
chop-1.jpg

Damn, I dunno. I say color them. I was thinking of getting them for mine too - they're already color matched to my black X!

Don't color match. I like it they way it is.

YES DO IT!!!:D:thumbsup:

if you color match them how you going to do it?

I would love to paint the dark area the same color as my ex, mine is grey, but i think since your x is red that it would look B!tchen:thumbsup:

looks nice keep up the good work

I vote black, unless the red is matched with the actual color of the truck. I don't know if the different reds had anything to do with a time constraint or anything...

leave them the way they are. They look much better already than stock does.

If he leaves them stock then it will look like he just bought 06-08 tail lights and put them on his 05.
I vote you paint them same color as the red on your explorer. Just get the paint code from driver side door and color match them to your body:D

If he leaves them stock then it will look like he just bought 06-08 tail lights and put them on his 05.
I vote you paint them same color as the red on your explorer. Just get the paint code from driver side door and color match them to your body:D

yip

I vote black, unless the red is matched with the actual color of the truck. I don't know if the different reds had anything to do with a time constraint or anything...
i did it quickly in photoshop so thats why it doesn't look exactly the same
thats what i thought..i mean yea it looks nice but i rather it have a "custom" look..not like i just threw the on.
I might go and buy a quart of paint friday..i paint so i'll can probably do it this weekend:D

YES DO IT!!!:D:thumbsup:

if you color match them how you going to do it?

I would love to paint the dark area the same color as my ex, mine is grey, but i think since your x is red that it would look B!tchen:thumbsup:
just sand the dark part down..hit it w/ some adhesion promoter and then just paint and clear.
Then i'll just smoke the red part of the lense and just a tad on the reverse light..just like i did w/ my 02-05 stock ones

:cool::);)YEA!!!!:D:thumbsup::biggthump

What was the point?

If u color match them, wont they will look exactly like the original ones?
Then what was the point of buying a new set of lights and going threw the whole trouble of installing them... instead of setting ur self apart w/newer style lights? I ended up putting the 06 monty lights on my creamic white limited, and could'nt be happier w/ my results, I was I could post some pics,
the only downfall is that I have no type of reflector in the rear... go figure?

I'd leave them the way they are, they look sharp with the black.
Don't color match.
They look good by the way, nice upgrade, you'll have to show us when you get the led's done.

Cheers
Ben.

Nice,
They look great!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

oh, well it will still get second looks. Someone will look see the tailgate, then notice the tail lights and think :confused: :confused: :confused: WHAT?
Can't wait to see them tinted, maybe i will do mine on my 06:D

Back