• Register Today It's free!

Help!

CindyF

Reaction score
City, State
MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT
Hello, I have spent a few hours reading through the forums, but I am still having questions. I have a 1997 explorer xlt. The car "turns" over but will not start up. A friend of mine, sprayed some ether into ? and it started
up but dies out immediately. He stated its only running of the ether. Im
not sure that he knows alot but he was willing to look at it. HOWEVER,
a few years ago, I had a problem with the engine not starting due to the
double alarm systems that were installed in the truck before i bought it.
Somehow, the alarms got screwed up and it killed the engine start. I don't
remember how my neighbor at the time did it, but he got it fixed and it worked fine. So, I guess after reading as much as I could I am thinking
it could be that alarm problem again (the alarm did recently come on and wouldn't stop....killed the battery) OR that it is something to do with the fuel delivery? systems. I just put a brand new battery in it the day he tried to
help me get it started. And it will start for a sec with the ether being sprayed. I'm stuck and poor (lol) any help anyone could give would be a life saver!!! Thanks in advance, CindyF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would check the fuel pump. When you turn the key on can you hear the fuel pump? Ask your friend if he's able to do a fuel pressure test.

Thank you for writing back. The friend who was helping me has not come back and not sure if he will to be honest. I found the no start procedure list
and went through it. I switched out the fpr and rear window down (they looked ok,,,but while I had them out). I also checked the number 9 also ok.
My question is what will the fuel pump sound like (when i try to start it)
I do hear a few clicking maybe turning noises??? but not really sure what
I'm listening for. Seems like I might be on my own with no meter so that
is probably be as far as I can get alone down the list, but seems like you
said fuel pump. I did also check the inertia button, gas is definately very
low, guy said doesn't have anything to do with it but I know my truck and she EATS gas....Maybe get some in a container? If you could just tell me if
the clicking noise means the pump is okay, then I can try to proceed.
Thank you again, I really appreciate you responding. You were the only one who did! Cindy

When you turn the key on you should here a humming sound coming from the gas tank area. Don't turn it over, just turn the key forward. Also check your manual for what fuse and relay is for the fuel pump and make sure they're ok..

I could be wrong but I think the pats system turns off the spark. Because it starts with ether that would rule that out. I'll let someone else chime in on that.

Hi JR,

I checked out the fuse, seems ok. No burn mark, in good shape actually.

I am glad that you wrote back, because I was listening for noises under
the hood, NOT in the gas tank area,,,,would have NEVER thought to listen
there. Boy, do I have alot to learn lol....

Could you tell me what PATS is?

Also I did hear him say, "well she has spark" the day he was here.

I called and left a message for the friend last night, but I really don't know.

I guess I just want to be sure it's the pump because I already called autozone
for a price and it's $208.00. then add in the labor and I am in big trouble.

I'm still holding out hope that it's a unscrew/bolt/tape problem,
that I can do :)

Thanks again,
Cin

You may want to try a different fuse just to make sure it's OK, also that fuel pump relay may have failed. Once you find it swap another in it's place. Pay attention to the blades on the bottom of the relay and make sure you get one that is exactly the same. There are different relays.

You can easily hear the fuel pump run (when you are outside of the vehicle) for a second or so when you turn on the key. If you cannot, this is your problem.

Grateful

Hello, okay I found a really good photo of the battery junction box for my year
and I switched out. I don't see anything there. I don't hear anything in the
gas tank area,,,could be i'm a little deaf from the eighties :D, but probably the
fuel pump. When I called autozone, the guy told me that he doesn't recommend doing just the pump, that I should do strainer, and one other part
the pump is supposed to be $99.00 and the other two pieces are $99.00 also
when I look up the site JR gave me I see the pump at $57.99 and I was wondering is the autozone guy trying to sell me stuff I don't need, or is he
right in not recommending doing the pump alone. Still WAY cheaper on JR's
site. Thank you tremendously for that! If either of you get a chance will you let me know what parts I should get. Have a good day, Cin

Switched out? Tried a different relay and fuse? Don't jump to it being the pump before making sure.

An old buddy of mine who has been a mechanic for 25 years carries a short baseball bat and smacks the bottom (very hard) of a gas tank (ignition on) when doing recoveries for customers. If it's the pump this will get you going for a bit sometimes. If by chance that works, you definitely need a pump.

Never replace a fuel pump without replacing the stainer. If you don't have the money for a complete pump get the $57.00 one and the strainer from RockAuto. You will save yourself a lot of frustration in the end.

Ok, did switch out the relay same exact ones, they looked good but just
in case I got lucky I did switch them. No luck, I am pretty confident everything is ok with the fuses, I just decided to look at them all while I was
switching the fpr one out. I did find that I can get the pump, strainer and a fuel filter with shipping for $88.67 which is ALOT less than autozone who
wants $223.45 for the same things. That is a savings of $135!!! which is huge. Oh, and btw the brands and the part numbers for autozone and rockauto are EXACTLY the same. Thanks again, for all your time and help
to both of you. Next, hoping my brothers friend comes through to install it....
Have a great weekend, Cindy

Grateful!

Hi guys, just wanted to let you know, my brothers friend came through,
installed the fuel pump and she started right up! :D

In the end a $600+ repair job, cost me $90.00 for the parts, and $150 for
labor.

So grateful to have my truck running again, so wanted to come back
and show some gratitude....YOU ALL ROCK!

Cindy

Good stuff, glad you are back on the road.

Back