How to: - How To: Drivers Exterior Door Handle Replacement | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: How To: Drivers Exterior Door Handle Replacement

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Fixed my handle!

I wanted to reply to this topic, and help contribute since these last 8 pages made it relatively easy to fix my handle. I have a 96 Exp Sport, V6. I probably spent $3.00 total to fix this problem. A spring, a new screw, a washer, a bolt, that's about it.

When drilling out the rivets that hold the handle, I did as recommended- used a punch to take out the centers, it took two hits each and they were gone. I didn't use the 5 1/6 drill bit the drill out the rest of the rivet, I used a bit that was smaller and worked great.

I went to two True Value hardware stores in my area, both had no idea where "bin 27" was. Frustrating. At the second store they recommended a larger True Value a couple of miles away that carries more. As I looked through the screw aisle at the larger store I finally found what they were talking about here. I've attached two photos showing the display, and the spring location.

I bought 6 springs, and could part with 4 of them if anyone here can't find them. Drop me a note, They were only $1.19 each.

You'll need to drill out the shaft in the handle itself that the spring runs on, and replace it with a screw and nut.

It took me about 1 1/2 hours to do this at an easy pace. It doesn't take any special tools either. I'm pretty handy, and don't know a lot about engines, but this type of repair is easy if you're mechanically inclined.
]

Thanks everyone for your help here, it's a great forum!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the thorough and detailed help, as usual. My driver's outside handle recently broke and it's a real pain getting the door open the way it is. I can't wait to get mine fixed, but as cold as it is right now, and with no nice warm garage to work in, I may have to wait until spring! I sure hope not, but I can't afford to have the dealership do it for me either. Merry Christmas everyone!

my door handle is floppy too but my door locks and unlocks when i push the button. i had to fix it though b/c i think my driver door had locked so much that it got tired and everytime i would try to unlock the driver door it would pop up and fall back down. so i had to start using the key. but i took the panel off and used some wd-40 and tightened up some stuff and it began to work.

awesome info, I fixed my door on our new to us explorer with the info from this write up.

yada yada

I bought the new handle and door latch, went and got the daughters car and went to work. After several tries at trying to get the rods out of the latch I gave up and mounted a helper spring. The exterior handle project went smoothly. I'm going to repair the old painted handle and make another attempt at those dang rod clips.

Great write up! I just tackled this job two nights ago and your pictures were a huge help. I found the spring, took some hemostat pliers I use for fishing, and with a little time and patience, I now have my door lock working again, perfectly. Thanks again!

Thanks Everyone, great write up!!!

The same thing has happened to my driver's door just recently, but it still works. The handle flops around but still opens the door, but sometimes sticks in the open position and is hard to get it to go back down. When it's stuck open the door won't latch. Also, the power door lock will not lock this door anymore, but it still unlocks it.
What happened to all of the missing photos in this thread; namely the original write-up by Cherrybomb?

Yellow connector Block? exterior door handle....handle to actuator. 1997 explorer. i can't see it and can barely feel it. What do i do? how easy are they to break?

Here's my variation on this from tonight. I was able to hook the spring into a gap in the spring clip that holds the lock in. Then I hooked the other end over the threaded rod below the yellow clip. It appears to be holding well. This was a generic throttle spring that was a bit under 2" long that I was able to bend the ends on to fit (not hardened). Note: Window track was moved out of the way for this work, and for the pic.

Appreciate the help from this thread, so I'm giving back a bit.

Exploder_latchMedium.jpg

Thanks, that worked great! I bought some long throttle springs, did my passenger side and it worked so well I did the drivers side without even moving window track. Drivers side took 10 minutes.

Photo0012.jpg

Photo0011.jpg

I got my handles from a junk yard today I bought 2 only needed one tho. Got them both for 15 bucks and all I have to do is install them tomorrow.

my 97 explorer rear door

My rear door won't open...outside or inside. I'm basically screwed.....handles seem to work fine. i can hear the actuator working. if i get three replies to weld it shut i might just do it. other than that..how do get the thing opened...just to start looking? thanks.........

The yellow connectors? i tore them out...put a torch on the end of the rod handle ..put a nut on it....heated it and put a 90 degree bend on it. took off the nut put the rod in the hole...put on some threadlocker..tightened the nut..and threw the yellow connector block across the street.

saving for future

*sigh* Driver's door stopped locking/unlocking from the remote, switch, or keypad today. The key won't turn in the lock. Inside handle still works, at least.

Armed with the info from this and similar threads, I set out to do the spring work-around tonight. Got the panel off, took out the window guide, fished the spring out of the latch where I could see it from the outside, put the new hook in. THAT's when I noticed the rivet for the actuator had sheared off. Since I park "on the street" with no hope of clearing space from the garage, I just put everything back together, with the spring in a cupholder for now. Looks like I'm drilling out a rivet at some point... *grumble*

Thanks for all the great info here, it's saved me from having to go to the dealer to fix a design problem. Not sure now if I'll do the "work-around" or just rethread the spring into the latch assembly...

barn owl, thank you so much for the detailed instructions on repairing the door latch. I would never have worked it out on my own. you saved me a lot of dollars and it gave me a whole lot of satisfaction to do it myself rather than pay a dealer. thanks again.

bigbologna, that is a nice fix...may I ask how you attached the bottom end of the new spring?

My rear door won't open...outside or inside. I'm basically screwed.....handles seem to work fine. i can hear the actuator working. if i get three replies to weld it shut i might just do it. other than that..how do get the thing opened...just to start looking? thanks.........

You need to take off the rear door panel from the inside. I have done it, its not that bad a job. Once off, you can get at it to do the fix.

107,000 Page views: WOW must be a lot of Explorer door problems...

Broken Part

On my '96 explorer the white plastic clip connecting the door lock to the latch fell apart after wear and tear. Now the door lock does nothing at all bc it's not connected. Any ideas where I can get a new clip; does it come with the latch assembly or is there a way to improvise a solution?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My X has a floppy driver side exterior handle. Do I have to replace the whole handle or can it just be fixed with a replacement spring?

Back