Key stuck in Ignition, Steer Column will not Lock | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Key stuck in Ignition, Steer Column will not Lock

Hi guys; I have the same issue - broken plastic rod down the middle of the shifter shaft. Broke at the hole where the pin goes in (as in phil-from-tn Oct 14 post).
Would anyone who has already a made a replacement out of steel, make another one for me at a reasonable price? Thanks for reading.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi guys; I have the same issue - broken plastic rod down the middle of the shifter shaft. Broke at the hole where the pin goes in (as in phil-from-tn Oct 14 post).
Would anyone who has already a made a replacement out of steel, make another one for me at a reasonable price? Thanks for reading.
Pm me with your address, I'll send you one

hi everyone, glad to joint this forum,, i have the same issue, i would really appreciate if you can sell me one of those metal rods , thx in advance phil- from-tn

hasn't happened yet, just picked up a used '07, building up knowledge for when things break
nice replacement part. Any issues or changes to it?

Does anyone have one for sale or can fabricate one of these pushrods for me?? I don't have the tools to make one..

I've tried sending address did you get it?

Thanks for the great write up. I need to perform this fix to resolve the same issue. You guys are great!

SO sick of this stuck key issue!! Definitely looking for a more permanent fix!
May I also buy a replacement rod from someone with these skills! I'm pretty confident I can take it apart and fix it, but don't have the tools or skills to make that permanent piece! Help!! (p.s. will his help with a "sticking" in the gearshift too?)
Thank you!!!

Does anyone know what years and models this broken shifter rod affects, and how to determine if it does by center console part # or anything?? It seems there are so many different variations of the console, different Ford models, and different years... Thanks!

Hi Everyone,

I just purchased a 2010 and I'm having this issue. Does anyone here have any rods for sale?

-Marc

06bluez and phil - great help in these posts, thank you. Fabbed up the steel rod today and it is great! After spending $4 on the rod, there was enough rod left over to make 3 or 4 more. Maybe i'll put the "repair kits" on the market. :)

Do you have 1 for sale?

06bluez and phil - great help in these posts, thank you. Fabbed up the steel rod today and it is great! After spending $4 on the rod, there was enough rod left over to make 3 or 4 more. Maybe i'll put the "repair kits" on the market. :)
Do you happen to have any of those repair kits and how much would you charge. I have a 2007 Sport Trac XLT

Hello, guys. having the same issue. Does anyone have still rods for sale? Or are there any aftermarket rods to buy somewhere?

I just did this on an '08 Mountaineer. Yes, reviving an old thread because all this should be in a central location rather than spread across numerous threads.

Many thanks to the users who pioneered this fix! I used 5/16" stainless rod. The pin was long gone so I used a 5/32" roll pin.

Dealing with the OD cancel wires sucks, I used thread as a fish tape. Also getting the broken lower plastic rod out is problematic but I used Milwaukee Air Tip attachments on my shop vac and it worked beautifully.
20240323_162230.jpg
20240323_161104.jpg

If anyone needs a rod I may be able to help.
20240323_175214.jpg
20240323_174615.jpg

Also, I put the hole 1-1/16" from the end. Others say 1-3/16" but that didn't correspond with my measurements of the old piece. That said, it's pretty forgiving and I don't think it matters, especially if you're just saw cutting OAL.

I'm only posting to remind myself should I need to reference this thread to make another.

Back