limited slip vs locker questions from a newb | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

limited slip vs locker questions from a newb

dirt virgin

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 sport
Hey guys I'm new to the 4wd scene and don't know a whole lot about off road performance so I apologies for the newb questions in advance.

I bought a 98 explorer sport with a d4 rear end. The net says it's 3.73 limited slip differential from the factory. Well I was driving in a loose Creek bed and it felt like my X was sinking. I had it in 4 hi and it felt like it was only getting power to one wheel on each side, front and rear. Am i right to assume the rear wasn't locking together? Will this diff even lock?

What should be my starting point to get a little more off road piece of mind? Front or rear locker first and which type because I'm not sure what to do with the rear differential or front.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most likely the clutch packs are shot on your factory limited slip. You options are to rebuild the factory limited slip or buy a locker to replace it. If you daily drive or don't seriously offroad I recommend rebuilding the factory setup. Then you can get a lock-right or a torsen for the front.

I can't see how it would be shot. The truck had 108k miles and was never off road before I got it. The most 4x4 was used was on boat ramps according to the previous owner and I can believe it considering how clean the truck is all around.

Maybe it was the tires. I wanted to get some knobbie a/t but was talked into a pair of nexen radian pros sight unseen by the shop. They have tread depth but ya a not what I really wanted. Live and learn probably shouldn't have said I wanted to do light 4x4.

I'm pretty sure they can wear out regardless like most parts on a car. When I swapped my axles from a 3.55 open to a 4.10 l/s from a truck with 250k, everything was shot in it so I ended up getting it rebuilt. I agree with anyone else who says stick with a l/s if you're driving it daily.

Of course an L/s isn't a 50/50 split so if you're doing hard core offroading you may want a locker. I almost got stuck in a wet mud hole/ run and my free side was still moving alot easier than the stuck side and that wad with a fully rebuilt axle.

Back