High performance Ex

bluemagic

Reaction score
City, State
Willoughby, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 XLT V8
what should be done to create a high performance ex

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Start by robbing a bank.

LOL!

OP- What is your definition of high performance? Like what you you like to compete with, what are your goals?

I have always viewed my Ex as an overweight and underpowered Cobra that can seat 7, has 4x4 and can tow:D

I have always viewed my Ex as an overweight and underpowered Cobra that can seat 7, has 4x4 and can tow:D

Haha I once beat a 4.6L mustang GT off a light on the street. I was a little impressed seeing my Ex weighs about 2000lbs. more!

The 'stang was only stock, and I got a CAI, exhaust and tuner... but still cool! The guy was pumping his fists and shaking his head once we stopped at the next light and was smiling ear to ear yelling "that was awesome" even though I beat him! haha

anything's possible

With enough money and effort any level of performance is possible. Superchargers, turbochargers, custom exhaust and intake, cams etc. are much more readily available for your V8 than for the V6. However, the Explorer will still have a high drag coefficient, center of gravity and weight compared to a true high performance vehicle.

I've pretty much decided to focus on achieving "sporty" performance for my Explorer and utilize it's utility capabilities and purchase a Mustang for an inexpensive performance vehicle.

search for "Troll"

search for "Troll"

While freaking fast, that's more a drag vehicle than anything;)(plus it's a 2nd gen)

There are 3 3rd gen daily drivers that come to mind as far as fast is concerned: Rocket5979, Mounty03 and Awdrocks. Mounty03(turbo'd and Awdrocks(supercharged) are currently active on here and will be more than willing to point you in the right direction about forced induction. Rocket hasn't really been on in a while and we won't hear from him for some time:(

Again, what are your goals?(within reason:D)

i just really want street performance not to race or anything

Again...I have some things done to my '04 with the 4.6. if your ever in the Akron area I'll take ya for a spin in it.

Then do the basics: Intake, tune, exhaust, efan and UDP's. Those will wake the ex up and make it a decent street light runner;)

I have the tune, exhaust and efan. Went from 15.9 (exhaust only) to a 15.2 (+tune/efan) in the 1/4.

And fyrfyter612 should be a tad faster than me:D (You better find out this summer!)

Bulletproof the glass and doors, get heavy duty front and rear bumpers that can smash through a concrete wall, upgrade to a bombproof drive train, and then paint it all matte black. HiPo!

5.4 liter supercharged lightening engine

5.4 liter supercharged lightening engine

Nah, that's weaksauce. Get a Ford GT 5.4 4V stroked with twin hair dryers and a little shot of giggle gas:D

Or we could get really crazy and get the new Whipple 4.0 or KB 4.2 LC set at 35lbs of boost with the twins at 20 lbs of boost and a 500 shot to cool it down.:confused: So 55lbs of instant boost and a 500 shot of NOS, I wonder what that would do?

go with a 5.4L twin 90mm turbos and run it of nitromethane. thats power for ya;) 965rwhp to be exact....

ive heard but not tested that supercharged 5.4's dont fit under our hoods.. clearence issues. Turbos would have to be rear mounted, no room for them up front. IF i were you, id go with a set of mild high rise cams' + sping + Retainers. Supercharge, and do some 4.10's. your truck would be sitting on a nice healthy 400 ish horses. if you want to go higher than 400, you will need to look at a built transmission, stockers only good to 400 or so. bolt ons wont hurt, but to do them right it will set you back another 3 grand. ALSO, you can invest in a 5.0 stroker kit, or a 5.3 stroked bored short block for another 10 grand... as the first responder said, start by robbing a bank. Trick flow heads would also be a nice touch, i have plans for those still.

Zero you got any pics of a e-fan mounted in place?

If you look up stylin99, he is currently working on a 5.4 swap with a whipple in his Adrenalin;) So we'll see what fits and what hits.

But on a serious note, doing the basic mods like I mentioned will wake your ex up and if you want to get serious then you can spend some coin and do what zerodevil said.

No pics atm, im dealing with a fuel delivery problem (i think some one pissed in my gas tank..lol), and have the truck up on stands while i change the fuel filter, oil and install my pulstar plugs. I guess i could try and snap a few pictures if i can find my freakin camera.. though i think my X girlfriend might have it... so there might not be much magic, ask limited for some of his, since we all know how much he LOOOVES to show off them 20's :p..

aight. lol good luck getting your camera back;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did someone want to see my wheels? :D

100_1793.jpg

Not really much to go off of here. I was able to keep the stock shroud to hide the fan and it's held on by cheap zipties. Plan on changing to a solid mount soon becaust I don't want to ruin the radiator. Any questions, feel free to ask.

101_1690.jpg

101_1689.jpg

Back