Long-Travel Suspension | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Long-Travel Suspension

Not the funny motor! It's the CRAZY motor!! :confused:

Hehehe

:smoke:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What are you considering for gearing behind that motor like for a final crawl ratio etc....

I'm thinking 4.10 gears. I still don't know exactly how far down the road the build is - I may end up with an Atlas II instead of the Dana 20, if it looks like I can afford it. :smoke:

Man, if you went with a Atlas II with the 4:1 and 4.10s in the diffs you'd have a nice low range crawl. Our CJ7 has a 4:1 low range kit in it with 4.10s in the dif and the manual 1st gear is a 4:1 reduction so our crawl is 66:1. In 2WD low on asphalt I can let the clutch out in first stomp on the brakes and the front tires will stop it while idling and the rear tires will sit and chirp slowly with out stalling the motor. It's the slowest brake stand you've ever scene!!!

Heh - wow...

Actually, another thought that came to me - maybe go with the Dana 20 (i'm using an AOD tranny) but add like a Klune-V planetary box...

I looked at one of those Klune-V boxes at the Off-Road Expo out here a couple months ago. Pretty cool toy. Kinda expensive but it gives you more options to play with on your gear box.

Honestly, I'll probably just end up with the AOD and a Dana 20... I'm not hardcore into the rocks, so I wouldn't need to spend that much money for something I'd use so rarely...

DROOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Bislam,

When was the last time you looked at the Camburg page???? they've updated the pictures of the Explorer!!! I've seen it twice in real life but finally you can see it. I've heard that's a $8000 front end between about $5000 in parts (coilover shocks, bypass shocks, air bump shocks, custom axles, Heims, etc....) and about $3000 in labor to build the beams, radius arms, and all the mounting stuff.

OMG!

I noticed that too!!! Kinda funny. I could've swore that last time I saw it though he had manuals on it. It's so easy to pick out in traffic with the paint job and carbon fiber hood!!

Well if we could get some pics.....

Hehe - I know, I'm just being an ass... :bounce:

I'm going to get pictures from Winter hopefully this weekend of Paul's truck and I'll post them in the project forum. I will be sure to get pictures when we go testing also.

I went and talked to Jason at Camburg today. His Explorer wasn't there but all the guys came out to look at mine. His girlfriend drives it all the time cause she said she gets more looks in it that her suburban...lol. I asked him if they had a price for the kit that he has on his. I know on their website they said around $8,000, but he really doesn't know how much it will cost. Plus they like SI (who is doing Paul's) will be making them to order. Except for maybe a couple people on here, there really isn't a huge market for the 20" travel kit on an explorer 4x4. Meaning there aren't a lot of people that will just go out and buy the kit, anyway. :rolleyes: They are not sure what the final price will be for everything.

He showed me a set of hubs he's making for it too. To make it 5 on 5.5 with a bigger rotor. Looks really nice and he said it was about 2lbs lighter than stock. Once you have 35s on your ex you will know why he's doing that. Doesn't stop worth a poop. He asked me if I thought people on here would be interested in buying that setup, but I told him I wasn't sure cause you would have to get new wheels for the front to fit and then you wouldn't be able to rotate tires and all that goes with having 2 different size lug patterns. He is doing this because of stopping power and he is going to eventually have the same lug pattern in the rear.

So, I'll stop babbling on now and leave you anticipating the pics. I sure am. :chug:

I was planning to go to 5x5.5 anyway, with a D44 TTB and a 9" or 8.8 from a fullsize. I still have yet to get a straight answer on this: Can the D35 handle the power of a moderately built 300? Is it just the outers that are weak? Or is the diffy itself a weak point? I would certainly buy those hubs and rotors if that with a few other mods will deal with my strength issues. It's a while off though for me.

I can't wait until I can make my truck go :bounce:

But I have to.
I am broke.
It's all the smoking - it's drained my cash supply.

Is Paul's ride using that "Swing Set" steering system like on the Herbst and Riviera prerunners? You know it's got got like 4 or 5 tie rods and has basically no bump steer because the tie rodss for each tire come off a pivot on the opposite frame rail that is inline with the beams so the distance stays the same through the cycle. That's probably what I'll do with mine eventually. I can't wait to see Paul's!!! If you don't mind, what was the final $ for the front end? I'm sure it's WAY more then I can afford. I'm hoping to have my front end done for about $4000 total not counting that steering which I've heard sets you back usually around $2000. Paul, what have you done in the rear or what are you planning for the rear?

Yes he is using a swing set steering. there will be no bump steer on his truck. The back he's got nationals so far, but he's not sure what's to come of the back yet. Trying to figure out what is the best route to go for what he uses it for.

That steering is REALLY NICE!!! There's a lot of shops that can build a nice 4WD TTB setup for around $3500 installed and widened but not too many can get the geometry and everything set up for that steering system!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back