Moab 2016 | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Moab 2016

I might have missed the post somewhere, but Moab 2015 had some details regarding equipment, group leaders for different levels of trails, meeting place ect..

My group will be coming up from the Phenoix area. We'll be getting in early on the 19th, getting breakfast, then running Tower Arch as a warmup.

Is there a rough itinerary anywhere?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What time and location for morning meetups and run departures?

Always at the City Market. In the past folks would start showing up at 8, get some food for the trail, and head out by 9 or so.

I guess there's no worries on someone in the group having the right tool for the job then. I always worry a little the first time out if this weld is good enough, or did I make that bracket strong enough...

Yep, welded a cracked radius arm right in the campground. . .
View attachment 90086
(from 2013)
Joe got me 1100 miles back home and probably would still be good if I hadn't upgraded to new radius arms.

Matt - Meet up time and location is City Market at 8:00, when we actually leave the parking lot, however, . . . tends to be . . ."variable".

Paul
'91 Sport

Just out of curiosity what campground is that? I noticed canyonlands said no working on vehicles in the campground.

My welder is 220, so no bueno:(

Just out of curiosity what campground is that? I noticed canyonlands said no working on vehicles in the campground.

My welder is 220, so no bueno:(

That is the Canyonlands campground :)

I guess there's no worries on someone in the group having the right tool for the job then. I always worry a little the first time out if this weld is good enough, or did I make that bracket strong enough...

If you can get testing in before hand that would be beneficial. The remoteness of a lot of the Moab trails can make bad situations worse.

If you can get testing in before hand that would be beneficial. The remoteness of a lot of the Moab trails can make bad situations worse.

That's what I was hoping to do, but there just isn't time, best I can do is run up and down the street now. The rear locker I hope will be here next week, then we leave the following. I am confident we won't have any failures, though. We leave in 12 days!!

The remoteness of a lot of the Moab trails can make bad situations worse.

Speaking of that point...

Does anybody carry spare drive lines with them on the trails, and if so, where and how do you store them?

Pictures say a thousand words if you have one, please share. I need some ideas. :)

:salute:

Speaking of that point...

Does anybody carry spare drive lines with them on the trails, and if so, where and how do you store them?

Pictures say a thousand words if you have one, please share. I need some ideas. :)

my drive shafts are not very long so i dont think I will have a problem storing them in my supply box. I know Phil has a spare he keeps in the back hatch area.

my drive shafts are not very long so i dont think I will have a problem storing them in my supply box. I know Phil has a spare he keeps in the back hatch area.

I do not have a custom slide out drawer system like a lot of you have back there. I will have a couple of smaller truck bed cargo boxes strapped down for items, but neither are long enough to stow a rear drive line. Everything I think of to store it so far doesn't seem safe in the event of a roll over, or head on accident. I do not want an interior missile launched at somebody. LOL!

I might end up metal bolt strapping them to the box lids. Best I can think of right now :dunno:

Securely mount a piece of pvc pipe with a glue on cap on one side and a screw on cap on the other. Put driveshaft inside tube.

Guess I don't need to bring mine :D

Securely mount a piece of pvc pipe with a glue on cap on one side and a screw on cap on the other. Put driveshaft inside tube.

I can do that and just mounted it to the roof rack I guess. :scratch:

Days are coming soon... :D

ForumRunner_20160430_192834.jpg

No pics, but I use stainless steel worm clamps to hold the driveshaft to the bottom of the rollcage legs. It's attached to the main hoop legs.

No pics, but I use stainless steel worm clamps to hold the driveshaft to the bottom of the rollcage legs. It's attached to the main hoop legs.

When the roll cage gets built, that sounds perfect. :)

Yeah, yeah, I know... I should already have it done by now. lol

More work getting done.

Anyone got a spare steering shaft with u-joints?

17 days!!!

Attachments

• rag joint.jpg
    rag joint.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 160

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back