Name my problems you see...

TooL

Reaction score
City, State
Tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92
This is one jerry rigged setup...

Half full sized bronco 2 kit, the other half rigged or jwc.com drop down brackets..

My lists right now: Fix parking brake, Get alignment right (still pulls to the right, the alignment shop said they will look at it again for me), figure out a way to solve the tires hitting the radius arm (when maxed out..), get more bolts in radius arm bracket. Rear end is slightly higher on one side than other, either the leaf springs have problems or we welded the axle brackets on wrong.

Anyone see any other problems?

Website I threw together of pictures of my truck

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your camber is still way off. You need a larger degree camber adjuster then 2 1/2. Check rockauto.com. That will help with the front end alignment.

the tires look small....

and what parts did you use from a "full sized bronco 2" lift LOL :)

how much did you pay for all that?

Your rear shock mount should work fine for the time being, that angle is kind of scary though.

jimabena74 said:
the tires look small....

and what parts did you use from a "full sized bronco 2" lift LOL :)

Springs, radius arm brackets, shocks. Stuff I didnt use were the bronco drop down brackets, and rear blocks. Im sure I was missing parts, paid a dirt cheap price for the kit. The dropdown brackets I got from jcw nearly tripled the cost of the lift heh. Minus rims and wheels your lookin at about 500$ invested. Guess you get what you pay for HEH.

That camber adjuster was the max we could get at Napa, Ill look into that website for better ones. The alignment place told me to buy stock adjusters and the one I have wasnt at max (was at 0, minimum) aka - I could adjust it and have no camber what-so-ever, so he was giving me a load of bull. Guess I wont go there ever again for an alignment...

cambersetting.jpg

^^ Thats max... Ill have to get ones that go further..

the max camber correction available for your front end is 2.75 degree.
You have 2.5 in there now.

I see a few issues with this setup, the main one is the differential appears to be able to hit the drop down bracket for the D side beam (axle pivot)

Those JC Whitney essentric adjustable axle pivots are questionsable to me strength wise, but it looks as if the axle pivot point could still be dropped a little but, helping with the camber correction.

What was the point of the new spring retainer/radius arm to beam bolts? Are you running a spacer under the coil spring?

410Fortune said:
the max camber correction available for your front end is 2.75 degree.
You have 2.5 in there now.

I see a few issues with this setup, the main one is the differential appears to be able to hit the drop down bracket for the D side beam (axle pivot)

Those JC Whitney essentric adjustable axle pivots are questionsable to me strength wise, but it looks as if the axle pivot point could still be dropped a little but, helping with the camber correction.

What was the point of the new spring retainer/radius arm to beam bolts? Are you running a spacer under the coil spring?

Its a new spring, thats about 5 inches longer than the old stock springs. My tire hits the radius arm when I max the steering, thats what the rub mark is. The drop down brackets are as far as they go, or so that alignment place told me. Not sure how to fix the tires rubbing (unless i get the radius arm/bracket from james duff, or another place). The springs may be to much for the truck as well.

This website shows a 3 1/2 for a caster/camber adjustment bolt..

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/catalog.php?carcode=1119619&parttype=10399

All n all im not going back to stock, just tweak this system. If there was anything I would do major is get a diffrent type of radius arm with anoter bracket, but for now I may try the 3 1/2 camber and try to align it myself.

Tires rub the radius arms...

What is the backspacing is on those wheels?

frontshock.jpg

i can see where its hitting the shock and the arm. Im guessing they rub at full lock? Getting a different wheel might help

brackon.jpg

Those radius arm brackets should work fine. If you get anything different get extended arms. Did you utilize the full size bronco bushing?

dropdownbracket.jpg

looks like you might be able to tweak out another .25 of an inch... they're probably maxed out.

I would recommend seeing if you could get a better pair axle pivot brackets... that way your camber would fix itself. Nobody makes a 5" axle bracket for say, but superlift makes a 5.5." Otherwise Trailmaster makes a 4" lift brackets. How much lift does the JCW brackets claim they're supposed to acheive? if its atleast 4" you should be fine, add in a year of spring sag and you're bascially golden.

i said LOL to "fullsize Bronco 2" earlier as i was unaware there is a fullsize bronco 2

got any more info from this?

I think he means full size bronco.

Um the 3.57 shim is listed on the website but is only 3.75 degrees when used in a 2wd truck, the same shim installed in your beams will be 2.75. that is why your 2.5 shim box also says 3.5 (or should)
Moog makes a 2.75 degree shim for 4x4, Napa, or carquest.

I have to go over this all the time :)

I hope you are running a 2" drop pitman arm and also extended brake lines with this setup. IN the pictures it looks like extended brake lines, but with TAPE over the ends???? Homemade extended lines = DONT DRIVE IT LIKE THAT!!
I still believe you will punch a hole in your differential pretty soon if you dont do something about the location of that drop bracket (hard to tell from pics)

How do you like the new steering shaft? Mine is going bad and I will need to replace it

410Fortune said:
Um the 3.57 shim is listed on the website but is only 3.75 degrees when used in a 2wd truck, the same shim installed in your beams will be 2.75. that is why your 2.5 shim box also says 3.5 (or should)
Moog makes a 2.75 degree shim for 4x4, Napa, or carquest.

I have to go over this all the time :)

I hope you are running a 2" drop pitman arm and also extended brake lines with this setup. IN the pictures it looks like extended brake lines, but with TAPE over the ends???? Homemade extended lines = DONT DRIVE IT LIKE THAT!!
I still believe you will punch a hole in your differential pretty soon if you dont do something about the location of that drop bracket (hard to tell from pics)

Edit: the tape your seeing is actually a spider web.. lol

Heh the brake lines are braided that I had made special. 6 or so inches longer than normal (i forgot exact). We had problems getting the clips back onto the frame for the lines, but they are exactly going anywhere since it goes thru the frame. I will look at that dropdown bracket vs my axil differential, I didnt think about that.

The tires dont hit anything in the front, but if i MAX (all the way, as far as i can steer) my steering they hit the radius arms:

rub.jpg

Edit: ^^ Thats a really bad angle for the picture...

I guess I need to look for diffrent radius arms or get diffrent rims at some point. Driving down the road doesnt do that, thoes rub marks are from me testing the steering out in my yard, by max, I mean whining gearbox max. Its still a problem tho, dont need to rip off my radius arms on a trail...

Also, I though I read somewhere you could get special ball joints to go with the camber/caster adjustment brackets, that might help some?

Chew_12: The "diffrent" steering shaft works fine it seems. It steers really good. I hold the steering wheel streight and it drives streight.. Just my right side tire camber pulls the vehicle to the right when I let the steering wheel go.. so its not the shaft messing anything up. It may be better than the "origional" because it only has one rubber bushing and a metal knuckle, instead of two rubber bushing (that cant be replaced!). I had bought replacements from advanced auto.... and they were HUGE compaired to the old ones... aka wrong ones, and its listed in there computer as the right ones. Took it back and went junkyard hopping and found that one, totally diffrent, in the same year explorer. Imagine that.

EDIT: Ohh I didnt mean bronco 2... there was no offical packaging lol, and the person who had it (in a french fry box... o_O ) said it was for a full sized bronco. I was able to look up some parts numbers, like the pitman arm, works for an explorer. The radius arm brackets.. fit my frame, had to drill one hole, need to drill about 2 more on the side. Front spring is quite big, but fit in. Angles of steering and axles are not that bad, but not perfict. Its work in progress.

the rubbing on the radius arms is typical of a lifted TTB, or more so big tires on stock rims. Offset rims is how you get away from it.
Some radius arms are bent (Skyjacker) to help this. there is no special ball joint that will help you, no special spacer. 2.75 degrees is the max correction you can do without modifying the beam.
You need to get 2.75 shims and install them. Hopefully that will bring your camber back to 0, from the looks of it, its going to be close.

Back