now that the snow is flying, how are you liking your tires | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

now that the snow is flying, how are you liking your tires

this is my first winter on 35s... the last time i drove my ex in the snow it had a mild lift, 32s, and still had the 4.0 now it has changed quite a bit, im wondering how all you guys like your all terrains, or mud terrains on the snow and ice..

I have 315/75/16 xterrains and i have to say i love them in the snow, so far. I have had them on icy roads and on snowy trails and have to say they hook pretty good. They excell in sand and snow, and im really glad because we get dumped on up here somtimes and i cant wait to play in some deep stuff.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Our factory-installed 17" BFG Rugged Trail T/A's are about done with 44k miles, so for the winter I was looking at a 16" steel wheel/snow tire combo from TireRack.com.

The Rugged Trail T/A's did okay the last 2 winters, but they weren't anything to write home about.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

It's snowing today, let's see how much we get.

UtahX said:
It's snowing today, let's see how much we get.
How much snow is on the ground now??
I wish the weather would settle into the right season here so we can get the snow and get it over with....I am counting the the days until spring :D

We got about 4 inches here last night and it is supposed to snow on and off all week. Already got about 2 feet up in the mountains. I absolutley hate these Goodyear's on there. Terrible in the snow. This summer it will be time for 32 or 33 inch BFG AT's.

It was gone in about an hour, that was this morning. Now later on at night it is snowing pretty good, actually sticking now maybe an inch or two so far. Let's see how much by morning. There's tons up in the mountains about 2 miles from my apt.

we have about 17" of snow...i have a set 31x10.50s Chaparral A/Ps on stock wheels they are studded...GREAT snow tires. i'm very happy with them. they are great in the deeper snow..i went were it was not plowed..almost 20" of snow and it was great. the roads are all glare ice with snow inbetween the lanes. i have not had any close calls..but the steel studds help that.
28619173890.jpg

We have snow, but the roads are nice and clear right now. They do a great job here in UT cleaning the roads.

They don't plow or treat the roads here in Dillon, MT. I-15 gets plowed, but none of the roads in town here are.

Utah does a great job plowing around my area. Man I hear them MOFOs 5:00 am during the week, lol

Calgary finally got snow. Not a lot of it, but it's wind driven. Visibility sucks and the streets are slick. The new Michelin Latitude Ice inspire confidence. Combined with the AWD of my new (to me) Eddie Bauer, I think I'm going to have a very comfortable winter on streets which rarely get plowed and have ice on them for months!

I will be living work with snow on the ground, let's see what these sucker's can do, lol

suposed to get 2-4" of snow and ice tonight so i hope to get to play in it a bit eiteher tonight or tomorrow :D....tis about all the white stuff is good for.

:( When is it going to snow here? It's late in coming this year. Snowbowl hasn't even opened yet. It was supposed to snow last night, but it only hit the mountain. I'm sad. I love snow.

here in Wi i have about 5+". The Dunlop mud rovers dont like ice and packed snow(then again all MT's dont), waiting for a big snow fall to have alot of fun..well time to sipe them this week its going to be a long and fun winter.

snocross1985 said:
Have yo gotten snow yet in missoula? only had 4 inches a couple weeks ago and it has melted since. Its just so dry here in the desert. :confused:
we've been getting alot of snow lately and my BFGoodrich Traction T/A's are doing quite excellent.
over thanksgiving in CO I did a little wheeling and whenever I hit snow, my BFG muds did very well also

Got about 2 inches of snow yesterday with 4-6 comming tonight. My 31-10.50-15 Toyo OC ATs did great, was extremely impressed with them. Last winter I had stock 235 Dunlop grandtreks and they impressed me, but the Toyos just blow them away. Trying to convince my dad to get them for his Ranger. I'll see how they do tonight when comming home from work in the snow storm.

Dan

We just got 3"-4" here last weekend. I went out to play in the B2 with my 33" TRXUS M/Ts and I have to say they were great. Better that the BFG M/Ts and General Grabber M/Ts I ran on the Explorer. Hard pack and ice I slipped, but no where near as bad as my old BFG M/Ts, and just a little better than my old General Grabbers (Grabbers were way better in the snow than the BFGs). The TRXUSs seem to break the packed snow up were as the regular M/Ts don't. I'm running them on a 8" rim and they are aired up to 35#s, so the foot print is not very big.
I had these same type tires on my '97 250 last year and they were great on it too.
I still run Bridgestone Dueller A/Ts on the Explorer and they performed flawless, same as they have the last two winters and they are down to half thier tread now! Best dang A/T tire I ever ran.

I got a chance to use the 35" Goodyear MTR's in some DEEP snow recently.
I fired up my ARB compressor for the lockers just before going into 4 low.
Start climbing this hill in my dad's backyard in about a foot and a half of snow.

Never needed the lockers.
These tires are GREAT in the deep stuff, possibly the best I have used.
I am actually impressed with them on the snow packed roads, especially for a MT.
Best MT's I have owned. Too bad their price tag also says so (I got them used, thanks Bill!)

3'' today, the revo's are doing great!

Back