OEM Hankook Tires, Like or Dislike | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OEM Hankook Tires, Like or Dislike

I have a limited with the tow package. My tires are the Optimo H426. I've had my truck for a month and drove it over snow here in NJ on several days and did a trip during a snow/ice storm to Montauk NY (for some cod fishing :))

I'm not sure what the concern is but it drives very well and I actually liked it better than my 2007 Expedition in the snow.

This is good news, indeed! Thanks Tom.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have a limited, no tow package, and have the optimo tires. I live in florida so snow is not much of a problem. Works great so far.

People in this thread have differing opinions:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=305994

Here is quote from thread:
"I live in southwest michigan and we recently shared the blizzard that chicago had. I had a chance to see how the traction was with the new EX in snow and slippery hard packed snow roads. My new Ex has the 20 inch rims with the standard highway tread tires that come with it. I can tell you that these tires are not very good in ice or snow. Very poor traction when accelerating from a stop even when you have the traction controll set to snow position.

My driveway leading up to my garage is on a slight incline leading up to my garage. It was plowed after the snowstorm. I came home from running an errand and could not get the explorer in the garage on the first attempt. It got half way up the drive and the tires started spinning i had to back down the street and try again. It was in the awd snow mode. These tires are worthless on ice or hard pack. I will get a set of winter tires for it for sure next winter."

Also another quote:
"Test drove the Limited overnight here in northern MN and I can absolutely confirm how terrible those tires are. Told my wife that we will negotiate the order/purchase with the removel of those Hankook's as a contingent condition. "

I am picking up my Limited today. I am getiing Yokohama's ordered in and installed some time next week. So I will have a few days to test the H426's and then the Yokohama's in the same wintery conditions. Lots of snow and ice up here. Will let you know if I notice any difference.

Here is a review of a Limited 4WD and how it managed in a snow storm

"We got caught in a nasty snow storm between Detroit and Cleveland while driving the Explorer and were able to at least put Snow mode to the test. We weren't able to feel any of those adjustments from behind the wheel during our hours of driving through inclement weather, which is a credit to the system's calibration, but we know it works if for no other reason than we're still here to write this review."

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/02/11/2011-ford-explorer-limited-review-road-test/#continued

To add to Vic's comment: Keep in mind the vast majority of professional reviewers interrogated the Limited model and I'm pretty sure I read them all, or at least most of them and I don't recall a single one ripping the Hankooks.

Just got my limited today and there is snow for Saturday, will let you all know.

To add to Vic's comment: Keep in mind the vast majority of professional reviewers interrogated the Limited model and I'm pretty sure I read them all, or at least most of them and I don't recall a single one ripping the Hankooks.
I just wonder how many of them actually drove it in inclement conditions. One of our own members could barely make it up his driveway. After much consideration, I'm 95% sure I'm going to go with the Yokohama Parada Spec-X. After seeing the difference in the tread pattern I'm sure they will be much better in snow/ice when needed. The Hankook doesn't look to have the same grip pattern. The Yokohama should also have a much better treadlife than OEM's. That was another knock against the H426. It definitely looks more like a summer tire. I'll put a set of Winters on in the Fall.

from the sounds of the Autoblog review of the Explorer in the snow storm, it seems to do just fine in the snow

"We also noticed that the Explorer could generally accelerate quicker and cruise faster in the snow than the traffic around it"

I picked up my Limited with H426's on a 20 Inch Rim on Friday so had the weekend to test it out on the latest Northern Ontario snowfall. So far I am not impressed with the tires. First you can barely see any tread, they look like summer tires, and they are easily clogged with snow.

Truck seems to handle like a front wheel drive car in loose snow. This is not necessarily a bad thing but there seems to be a delay in engaging the rear tires when they are needed, any when they do engage they don't say active very long but again this is not necessarily a bad thing.

Not sure how much of this has to do with the tire or truck in general. But truck feels like it has a hard time getting traction on snow especially if there is any type of incline. It is very, very noticable when it is loose snow.

I somewhat expected to feel like my Hummer H3 AWD so thats what I am comparing it to. I just don't feel the same confidence that I have with my H3. The Explorer can handle the conditions with the H426's but I am just hoping it can improve with better tires. I also ordered the Yokohama Parada Spec-X that should be in some time this week.

The tire to use with the 20" option is the Bridgestone Dueler HL Alenza. This tire is made especially for trucks and SUVs. I have them installed on an 2006 F-150 Lariat. (smooth ride, highway tread)

I'm about to have them installed this week on my Limited X.

The tire to use with the 20" option is the Bridgestone Dueler HL Alenza. This tire is made especially for trucks and SUVs. I have them installed on an 2006 F-150 Lariat. (smooth ride, highway tread)

I'm about to have them installed this week on my Limited X.
Looked at them and the customer reviews and it received a score of 3.7 out of 5. The Yokohama Parada Spec-X scored 4.6.
Bridgestone: Dry: 4.2 Wet: 3.9 Snow: 3 Handling: 3.8 Comfort: 3.6 Noise: 3.6 Treadwear: 3.5 (72 reviews)
Yokohama: Dry: 5 Wet: 4.8 Snow: 3.7 Handling: 4.7 Comfort: 4.8 Noise: 4.8 Treadwear: 4.5 (9 reviews)
I'm sure that most light truck tires will do the job but I would like to think that the Yokohama tread would be a little better in getting me through March snow until I can get the dedicated Winter tires in the Fall.
Bottom line is to get whatever you feel will do the job for you.
BTW welcome to the Forum..:wavey:

Any updates from members with Limiteds and the 20" Hanooks and winter weather handling. Just got my Ex over the weekend but didn't want to christen her with road salt just yet from todays storm.

Any updates from members with Limiteds and the 20" Hanooks and winter weather handling. Just got my Ex over the weekend but didn't want to christen her with road salt just yet from todays storm.
So far there appear to be mixed reviews but overall most reviews, including others on the Internet, are negative. I myself will be replacing them as soon as my Ex comes in with the Yokohama Parada Spec-X. Just looking at the tread patterns of the two you can see that the Spec-X has a little more aggressive one. Come Fall, I'll be putting on dedicated Winter tires.
BTW, welcome to the forum. :wavey:

I just checked my 2011 Limited with polished aluminum wheels and it does have the Hankook H426 tires -

My Limited was built Jan 11 2011 it has the Polished Aluminum Wheel option and it came with Hankook Optimo H426, I just checked now.

I have a limited with hankock tires. I have driven it in recent snow falls in Wisconsin. I have not had any problems. What I will say is that it does not have the bitting grip of my old 02 explorer with new M/S tires. This maybe because my old explorer did not have traction control, and I did stop on a snow covered road, then floored it. It took of nice and easy. I think there is a compromise that was made on the hankock tires, they look good, low noise level, and probably improve mpg. I plan on keeping them for a year or so and then replace them with a more aggressive tire. By then the price of 20 tires will be lower then buying them now.

I'm new to the forums, but was reading this thread last night. I don't recall seeing it posted, but maybe I missed it. A few weeks ago the following headling appeared in a number of places on the web "Hankook Supplies Tires for the All-New 2011 Ford Explorer". Here is the link out to the their site. http://www.hankooktireusa.com/compmed/News_View.aspx?pageNum=5&subNum=4&ChildNum=1&Seq=403&PageNo=1&KeyValue=0&KeyWord=
I've got an Explorer on order, so can't comment to real-life experience, but it appears the writing is on the wall.

One question, of those who will replace 20" (or other) all-season tires with something different for Winter, how do you do it? Do buy cheap steel rims and mount the Winter tires on those and then just swap entire wheels out? Or do you get something a bit nicer looking than plain black steel rims? Seems a sacrilege to put an ugly steel wheel on such a nice looking car/truck. v:rolleyes:

To the guys who had the dealer swap tires before you took delivery, what kind of deal were you able to work out with them?

I'm new to the forums, but was reading this thread last night. I don't recall seeing it posted, but maybe I missed it. A few weeks ago the following headling appeared in a number of places on the web "Hankook Supplies Tires for the All-New 2011 Ford Explorer". Here is the link out to the their site. http://www.hankooktireusa.com/compmed/News_View.aspx?pageNum=5&subNum=4&ChildNum=1&Seq=403&PageNo=1&KeyValue=0&KeyWord=
I've got an Explorer on order, so can't comment to real-life experience, but it appears the writing is on the wall.

One question, of those who will replace 20" (or other) all-season tires with something different for Winter, how do you do it? Do buy cheap steel rims and mount the Winter tires on those and then just swap entire wheels out? Or do you get something a bit nicer looking than plain black steel rims? Seems a sacrilege to put an ugly steel wheel on such a nice looking car/truck. v:rolleyes:
First, when my Ex Limited comes in, I'm replacing the Hankooks with Yokohama Parada Spec-X tires which have a little more aggressive tread for a '3 season tire'. Come Fall, I plan to get the 17" steel rims and put 245/65R17 Winter tires on. To me, safety trumps looks.
I can always check to see if there are some good looking wheel covers for the steelies! For the past 10 years I have always used dedicated Winter tires.:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

To the guys who had the dealer swap tires before you took delivery, what kind of deal were you able to work out with them?
Not having the dealer do it. Finally found a tire shop here that will give me $80 a tire for the OEM's plus an extra $5 off for each replacement for bringing in the quote they sent me. Most places weren't interested in giving anything for the OEM's. Only catch is that I keep mileage on the the OEM's under 100 miles or so.

Back